Author Topic: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really?  (Read 3820 times)
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « on: August 20, 2016, 09:59:05 AM » Author: mdcastle
I'm replacing a post light that has clear glass and 3 X 40 watt candelabra incandescent bulbs with one that has honey glass and a single E26 socket. Unfortunately the honey glass soaks up 3/4 of the light. It seems the only way to create the same amount of light with more energy efficiency is one of those high powered corn-cob LEDs you see on eBay. Anyone actually try one of them?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:05:28 AM » Author: wattMaster
It seems like they are hit and miss, some are actually good, and others are shockingly bad.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 10:26:42 AM » Author: Lumex120
It seems like they are hit and miss, some are actually good, and others are shockingly bad.
Literally, shockingly bad. If I were you I would get the enclosed time. Do they run dusk to dawn?

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:35:52 AM » Author: Ash
As Zarlog mentioned, some of them also have live exposed connections on the outside. But lets say that is not as big problem when the lamp is not accessible. The other problem is that basically all electronics sold on Ebay are fireworks

Now really, outdoor post with E26 socket and wanted bright light ? Thats for HID

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:03 AM » Author: mdcastle
I thought about seeing if there was another 70 watt ceramic metal halide track light at Ax-Man I could gut, but that's really more watts than I want, the lamps are expensive, and I worry about an exploding lamp damaging the glass of the fixture. It's thin decorative glass.

Also the socket is not pulse rated so I'd have to change out the socket.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:53:16 AM » Author: Lumex120
I thought about seeing if there was another 70 watt ceramic metal halide track light at Ax-Man I could gut, but that's really more watts than I want, the lamps are expensive, and I worry about an exploding lamp damaging the glass of the fixture. It's thin decorative glass.

Also the socket is not pulse rated so I'd have to change out the socket.
They rearranged the store and they no longer have the track lights.  :(

Maybe you could convert it to 50w MH and use a coated quartz lamp? the color is the same as incandescent.

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 11:01:41 AM » Author: Ash
I was thinking more like 100W Mercury lamp. But MH and HPS are good choices too

If the socket is Ceramic and have all the needed clearance/creepage distances where needed (between terminals, between terminals and Earthed mounting screws/bracket, and so on) then it would be fine for Pulse start even if not specifically Pulse rated. Its the wiring i'd be more worried about. Place the ignitor or all the gear in the luminaire, so that only the short wire to the socket gets the pulse

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 11:44:24 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Also some people don`t realize that corn cob lamps have to be run in `open` fittings so as not to overheat them!
With 3 x 40watt candle GLS, you have a max lumen output of about 1170 lumens, a single higher powered CFL would suit better, say 35watt?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:45:56 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 12:34:53 PM » Author: wattMaster
CFLs don't like heat.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 01:33:23 PM » Author: AngryHorse
But it will be mounted cap down in the light in question, keeping the heat away from the gear housing?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 01:38:28 PM » Author: wattMaster
But it will be mounted cap down in the light in question, keeping the heat away from the gear housing?
If it's totally enclosed, don't mess around with self ballasted CFL.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 01:49:06 PM » Author: Ash
The lantern have some thermal "transport capacity" (whether by thermal conductivity, or convection) from inside to out, whether it is enclosed or not, its just the quantity that varies. If it is sufficient to take out the power dissipated by the lamp while keeping the temperature inside (Ta for the lamp) low enough, then it is ok..

By eye i'd say this is ok for about 18W..20W CFL max, if never left dayburning. But i'd too prefer something more thermally robust inside
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 10:29:07 AM » Author: wattMaster
Maybe add a couple of heatsink fins to the fixture?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 01:28:16 PM » Author: Ash
I dont think it'd have big effect in this lantern
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So how bad are Chinese COB LEDs really? « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 02:52:08 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Corn cob lights are best avoided our local bus garage had them installed last year and within 8 months about a third of them were partially out they run from 7 am thru till around 11pm the fluorescents in the same garage are still bright and looking goodhttp://
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies