Author Topic: Overpowered 250W HPS  (Read 2922 times)
GE M-400A1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Pontiac 6000 STE

Overpowered 250W HPS « on: April 13, 2008, 02:25:25 PM » Author: GE M-400A1
I have purchased a new 400w HPS ballast for my new GE M-250A2. I wired it up and i on accident put a 250W HPS lamp in it and it was a cool white color not a red-orange color. Does anyone know why this happened?

Thanks

My Cars:

1986 Pontiac 6000 STE

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi

1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:07:26 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
This should answer your question   By the way "SON" is an European term for HPS so same thing, hope that helps

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:07 AM » Author: Silverliner
I'd like to throw in a couple more details. I once ran a 50w HPS lamp on a 1kw mercury ballast. The effects were dangerous but impressive, the color of the light turned white, then blue, then green and the arc tube exploded, coating the inside of the outer glass with silvery sodium. However it nicked the glass on the side (nearly took the outher bulb) so air got in and after a few hours the silver coating disappeared. Call me crazy if ya like :-P

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Mr. Big
Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:15 PM » Author: Mr. Big
thats amazing dave!!!
Mr. Big
Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:20:32 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Dave! that's REALLY crazy, but I have something worse! I microwaved a spiral CFL one time, just enough to mess up the ballast a little bit, I took it outside, powered it up, and the ballast caught fire! ;D
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:10:47 PM » Author: arcblue
These experiments would make great YouTube videos.  ;D

Someday I know someone's going to replace an oven lamp with a CFL. Would you like mercury & melted plastic in your pizza?  :-\

I'm lampin...

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 06:04:15 PM » Author: don93s
Wow...I didn't think a M250A2 was designed for a 400w lamp!
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:09:00 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Arcblue: Another recipe related to lighting! We should make a recipe book with all our recipes, such as:

- Geoff's chips

- Jace's roasted ballast

- And much more!

We can add your PM pizza (PM for Plastic-Mercury not for Personal Message  ;D )

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:45:51 PM » Author: Mercury Man
Wouldn't overdriving any lamp do damage to the ballast by overheating it?
form109
Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:02:58 PM » Author: form109
probably im not really sure,but any time you use the wrong lamp or the wrong ballast chances are high you could cause damage to the lamp,ballast or both.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overpowered 250W HPS « Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 07:14:47 PM » Author: Medved
Wouldn't overdriving any lamp do damage to the ballast by overheating it?

Depend on ballast concept and what the overdriven lamp does.
MV will not do anything to the ballast, as it's voltage is stable and the same for nearly all wattages, so the ballast would "think" it has correct lamp in it. Of course, the lamp will explode soon.

SON (HPS - for Americans :-)) would most likely cycle - as overheated tube rises the sodium pressure, so discharge voltage, till it exceed (with restrike spikes) the ballast OCV (except low voltage run on high voltage ballast - e.g. US HPS70W run on HPS150W ballast). The ignitor will quickly eat-up it's lifetime (as it's designed for only few pulses per start).

MH: Unsaturated vapor concept (some QMH) behave same as MV, saturated vapor concept (all CMH, some QMH) behave like HPS.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies