Author Topic: No LED  (Read 10349 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 07:14:12 PM » Author: wattMaster
The blue rich spectrum of LED lighting can also cause this in the long terms.
That's not good.
But still, how can I deliver this important information?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 12:10:35 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
So it's only the LED bluish that is damaging and not the "daylight" crap from Fluorescents?  Blue is blue. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #32 on: September 16, 2016, 12:13:22 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Here is something else to consider.  People like LEDs for a number of valid reasons. If they didn't, they would never sell.  Think you can convince people to not like LEDs?  I know you can't.  At the same time, I like having the ability to decide for myself what I will use and I like having options.  But sooner or later, options are removed and we have no control over that.  Change sucks.  But get used to it. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: No LED « Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 11:54:02 AM » Author: Lumex120
Here is something else to consider.  People like LEDs for a number of valid reasons. If they didn't, they would never sell.  Think you can convince people to not like LEDs?  I know you can't.  At the same time, I like having the ability to decide for myself what I will use and I like having options.  But sooner or later, options are removed and we have no control over that.  Change sucks.  But get used to it. 
The reason LEDs are becoming the next big thing is all because of marketing. Manufactures are promoting all the "good" things about them (some of which are not even true) yet leaving out the faults of LED and then pointing out the faults of other technologies and not the good parts (eg: "contains mercury" "can explode like a grenade" "can be used for growing illegal plants" "less efficient than a candle" "must be replaced immediately" "emits UV radiation".) If they weren't pushing lies and fibs about this, LED would not have taken over like it has. In about 8-10 years when they start failing they probably are going to see that they are not as good as touted by the companies that make them.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: No LED « Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 11:55:13 AM » Author: Lumex120
That's not good.
But still, how can I deliver this important information?
I don't want to go blind early in life just because of LED streetlights everywhere.  :-\

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 12:34:48 PM » Author: wattMaster
There should be an experiment done to see how much LED impacts eyesight and how easy-on-the-eyes LED really is.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 03:00:42 PM » Author: Ash

LED is a valid choice. Why should we convince anyone to not like them ?

There should be an experiment done to see how much LED impacts eyesight and how easy-on-the-eyes LED really is.

Done. Many times, and many are still ongoing. Guess what ? Each one says something else
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 03:17:44 PM » Author: wattMaster
So LED studies are a great randomization technique?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 01:55:53 AM » Author: Ash
Its more like some researches from the academy find evidence for problem, all research from the lighting industry finds none

Great randomiation it isnt anyway, because waiting for the completion of a research to get a Yes/No answer (1 bit of random) is really slow. Sticking a webcam at some trees planted outside (moving leaves) and using an appropriate hash on each frame of the video is way more efficient
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 04:21:41 PM » Author: wattMaster
Its more like some researches from the academy find evidence for problem, all research from the lighting industry finds none

Great randomiation it isnt anyway, because waiting for the completion of a research to get a Yes/No answer (1 bit of random) is really slow. Sticking a webcam at some trees planted outside (moving leaves) and using an appropriate hash on each frame of the video is way more efficient
And if you use a high speed camera, you could get lots of bits quickly. (1000 FPS could mean 1000 bits/second)
The problem with doing this is that you would need a fast computer.
Maybe if a camera read some thrown dice, that could be another option.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 04:28:52 PM » Author: Ash
Every frame is allready many bits. Depending on your video format etc the bitrate may change, or you can use hash to extend the number of bits you get out of the image, but you can't extend the entropy more than you have in your source image

For any practical application (strong encryption, ...) such random generator is well above requirements, but you have to be carefull to not allow stupid failures (camera filming in the darkness, without noise, will put out the same totally Black #000000 image all the time... Tho with most cameras it won't happen as there is still some noise and hot pixels, but they have less entropy)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 04:32:36 PM » Author: wattMaster
And you have to keep people from shining a bright light straight at the camera, or you will always be getting a pure white image.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 04:39:57 PM » Author: Ash
If that is a problem then film a lava lamp inside your datacenter room instead (this have allready been done by SGI)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 06:28:35 PM » Author: wattMaster
Another thing to make randomization is of a pool of water.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 12:19:30 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I very much dislike LED especially for the reasons that it makes perfectly good fixtures that are older turn into garbage because they don't save energy or they look a certain way or just cause its new etc. Yes LED is here and its not going away so so yes gotta deal with it.

The way I deal with it is I've taken it upon myself to collect all my favourite light sources such as F40 lights and fixtures, MV, SOX magnetic T8/T12, probe MH and HPS and things I need for them so I can enjoy them for most of my life privately. The world can change but doesn't mean I have to. 

It is true that I currently use LED products such as medium base A19 and T8 LED tubes in my current home despite not liking them at all. They can be decent and help my families power bill. As someone who is sensitive to blue light, I don't find the 2700K LEDs a problem to my eyes unlike any daylight colour lamp. Those blueish headlamps on cars nowadays are a different story!!

I'm immune to "LEDisease" as some call it as once I move, I really want to use the old lighting I like  8)

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies