Author Topic: No LED  (Read 10338 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #45 on: December 18, 2016, 09:34:39 AM » Author: wattMaster
Maybe this demolishing project won't actually happen.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:10 AM » Author: randacnam7321
Having replaceable components is not something I am seeing with all of the LED rubbish that I see installed by me, thus the age old problem of permanently installed components causing the whole fixture to be scrap when something in it dies.  It will probably take a few more years before these things start dying en masse on a regular basis and end users having to pony up full price when they don't have subsidies and rebates to fall back on as these fixtures tend to go for obscene prices.

Then there is the double edged sword of the high efficiency total internal reflection optics causing bad glare, something that several of my technologically aware friends often grep about due to all of the problems they have with eyestrain from LED fixtures (such are the joys of blue eyes).

And of course there is the same old problem of appropriate solutions to a given problem coupled coupled with what I call the fallacy of universal supplantation, which is the stupid idea that anything new must totally replace all that came before it.

Old school FTW!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 01:44:45 PM » Author: Ash
Can you elaborate on the glare/eyestrain ? What sort of luminaire design, what lighting level, and what actually causes the eyestrain : direct glare from lenses, too "flat" light distribution, excessive blue, too "flat" colors in general ?
randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No LED « Reply #48 on: January 22, 2017, 05:39:18 AM » Author: randacnam7321
Can you elaborate on the glare/eyestrain ? What sort of luminaire design, what lighting level, and what actually causes the eyestrain : direct glare from lenses, too "flat" light distribution, excessive blue, too "flat" colors in general ?

The use of separate TIR lenses for each LED resulting in the light from the fixture coming from a number of very small points.  These cause eyestrain which gives the observer the illusion of brightness due to their eyestrain when in reality the fixture is quite dim.  Fixtures where the light from the lamp is diffused by a large lens do not have this problem.

Old school FTW!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies