Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 255889 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #210 on: August 23, 2018, 04:41:32 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
A 1950 GE 1000W incandescent, see here for a picture of it lit.

I was trying to screw it into the lampholder and used just a tad too much force, and the glass cracked 
:'( :'( :'(
The glass envelope was probably brittle with age which didn't help.  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #211 on: August 23, 2018, 04:42:22 PM » Author: Rommie
The glass envelope was probably brittle with age which didn't help.  :'(
You may be right, but it doesn't make me feel any better  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #212 on: August 25, 2018, 01:01:59 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Today i retrofitted about 20 T12 fixtures over to T8.  (All had 1990 vintage Advance Mark III T12 ballasts)  I also installed 8 90 watt equivalant 2800k indoor LED Floods which increased the light output in that dark room quite nicely over the 65 watt incandescent floods they replaced.  I'd like to get some 3500k floods in there eventually, it will look nicer.    I also got me 2 60 watt replacement LED bulbs 3500k color, I really like the color.  Going to put one in the flush ceiling fixture above my shower. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #213 on: August 25, 2018, 01:44:48 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'm at one of the monthly Christmas light meetups that I go to. :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #214 on: August 25, 2018, 01:48:46 PM » Author: Rommie
We lit our new little 35W HPS lamp :hps: ;D

The wiring here is just a lash-up to see if the lamp worked, I'll make up a proper test/display board for it later.

Edit 25/08/18 2205hrs - Board made up, photos to follow :hps: ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:07:54 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #215 on: August 27, 2018, 08:53:37 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It was actually yesterday that I did it, but I repaired the E40/E27 adaptor that we have and it's now in use with our 150W  Eye Color Arc MT150FSW MH lamp  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #216 on: August 27, 2018, 09:02:53 AM » Author: Rommie
It was actually yesterday that I did it, but I repaired the E40/E27 adaptor that we have and it's now in use with our 150W  Eye Color Arc MT150FSW MH lamp  8)
Yes, it's a good little adaptor. James gave it to us last year, it originally had a 3-pin BC holder on it, but we didn't have a use for E40 to B22d-3 so I replaced the lampholder with an E27 one. Unfortunately, the wood that the holder was fitted to (I don't know what sort of wood it is, but it's as hard as nails if not more so  :o) and it split when I tried to put screws into it, so yesterday Sammi repaired it and glued the E27 holder down with epoxy, so it's not going to come apart again any time soon  :D

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #217 on: August 28, 2018, 12:46:24 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Today I replaced another fried Howard Industries 2 lamp F32T8 IS ballast. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #218 on: August 30, 2018, 03:10:27 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Ol RyGuy here has taken a side job that involves lighting.  I am working with a contractor and about 10 others right now and we are responsible for LED conversions at up to 40 schools as part of the Denver Public Schools system.  We are retrofitting from T8 to LED using GE LED tubes and GE LED Drivers(or ballasts if you want to call them)  We work from 4PM to 11:30PM.  We are working at a 1959 vintage multi-floor high school right now (Abraham Lincoln High School) and will be doing over 2300 fixtures in this school alone.  Today I was on a lift working on a bunch of 6 tube fixtures in the Gym.  My feet are going to fall off.  The contractor is going to let me take as many of the old T8 ballasts as I want.  Lots of Sylvania/Osram T8 ballasts so I will be quite happy.  When they retrofitted over to T8 from T12 many years ago, they initially went with the Sylvania Quicktronic 1st gen instant start electronic ballasts and surprisingly many of them have held up for 20+ years.  The ones that have been replaced have been done so with mostly the current gen of the Sylvania Quicktronic NEMA ballasts, which are the good ones, so I am super excited about being able to take a bunch of them.  I'll probably also take a good number of the good shape 4100k tubes- mixtures of mostly Sylvania, Philips, and a few GEs.  Photos to come. 

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #219 on: August 30, 2018, 09:13:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@RyanF40T12:
Why wouldn't they simply use retrofit tubes on the existing ballasts?
Seems like that'd be allot cheaper/easier?

Cool that you'll be able to get some of the old ballasts though!

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #220 on: August 31, 2018, 03:02:18 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
using existing T8 ballasts for LED conversions is not a good idea in this situation given how old the ballasts are.  Most of these ballasts are the first gen Sylvania electronic instant start big bricks. (same size as the T12 magnetics) surprisingly they have held up quite well,considering they were installed back in the early to mid 90s and also there are still a good number of the pre-Ecologic T8 tubes that were installed at the time of the T12 to T8 retrofit! 

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #221 on: September 08, 2018, 01:18:36 AM » Author: tolivac
New portable light--its AWESOME--a Polarion PS-PH50D HID portable light.4800 lumens high,300 low.1.5 hrs run time high-2 hrs low.I don't know how to link pictures-but you can look the light up on the Polarion-Sparetech website.My Abyss isn't working with the old or new battery.Investigating it further.Polarions are among the best handheld portable lights out there.Expensive-but worth it.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #222 on: September 11, 2018, 02:08:00 AM » Author: ace100w120v
I've always wondered how the older ballasts would fare with those LED tubes....
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #223 on: September 11, 2018, 03:28:45 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Today I converted 21 fixtures over to LED in an elementary school.  I am keeping a bunch of low life F32T8 Sylvania and GE lamps as well as newer Sylvania F32T8 1, 2, 3, and 4 lamp ballasts.  I am quite happy about this. 

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #224 on: September 11, 2018, 01:09:24 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Started replacing our dead led battens with better quality Saxby Hydron twins, in our main workshop at work. Also got some twin six foot fluorescent battens to re-tube tomorrow.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies