Author Topic: Photocontrols' windows and the north  (Read 5291 times)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Photocontrols' windows and the north « on: April 17, 2008, 03:26:41 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I see since a few months PC's windows are almost never at north.  :-\ If all PC's would be at north, what would be the consequences? :-\ All streetlights would start at the same time and get the electricty network overloaded at switching on  ???, or the PCs get overloaded?  :o

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:05:59 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I donno....I dont ever see that, but my light in front of my house is pointed north! That's rare.....but no i don't think there would be overloaded......

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:30:06 AM » Author: lite_lover
Hi guys, the window or "eye" facing North is recommended so that the PC receives even light at dawn and dusk.Say if it faced East,it would turn off sooner in the morning, but come on earlier in the evening.I face all my PC's North on my lights I have outside LOL, but not too many installers seem to worry about ajusting the position.I'm not exactly sure,it may not matter... if a PC faced South,there's a chance the direct sunlight may deteriorate the eye sooner.Even if all PC's faced North,they wouldn't all turn on at exactly the same time, because each PC has a slightly different sensitivity.

The brighter the better.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:26:10 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
There is one acorn right here and there are 10 of them on the bridge this exact one acts like a dayburner! However if the day is VERY sunny..it's off, but it is usually on on a cloudy day or would power up as early as 3:00 afternoon!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:39:34 PM » Author: lite_lover
The PC must not be very sensitive and takes alot of light to turn it off.

Most if not all PC's need a little more light to turn off than on,that way they aren't turning on and off with slight daylight variations at dawn and dusk.

Do these acorns each have their own PC?

The brighter the better.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:23:58 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
The PC must not be very sensitive and takes alot of light to turn it off.

Most if not all PC's need a little more light to turn off than on,that way they aren't turning on and off with slight daylight variations at dawn and dusk.

Do these acorns each have their own PC?

YEP! they don't turn on the same time

Also this whole row of the double arms and a lot of the newer double arm installation in this area, each fixture has their own photocells! In fact, I was there where this whole row of the double arms are on the side of the road to watch fire works with many other people during July 4th in 2006 and it was getting dark and I watched the whole row power up...you know what, all of them aren't pointed North and they all are in default position, the factory....which I think is the front of each fixture, so while I was there...when they were powering up......first the whole left side powered up for every fixture in random order, then all only left side was lit, and about 10 min later or so all the right sides went on!  Left side is mostly facing South......

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:05:37 PM » Author: fran4001
One interesting feature of the Ripley Sunswitches from the 60s and early 70s: they had a larger than usual window, and three-screw access on the bottom. When you opened it up, the sensitivity was adjusted by moving two tinted "sunscreens" over the p.e. element to the degree of shading you wanted. Very cool idea. They still recommended facing it North too. I have some lovely red, silver and cream colored Ripleys, and the red one on my Pemco area light on my garage has been in constant use since June 16, 1965, thoughtfully date coded by the PP&L lineman that originally installed it. Talk about great service!
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:16:49 PM » Author: icefoglights
Depends on the type of PC too.  If it's a removable PC in a NEMA socket, they should be turned to point north.  I try to do that when I put up lights with those type of sockets.  But you may have it mounted, for example on a south wall, or somewhere where it would be looking into another light source bright enough to interfere with it if it pointed north, in that case it would have to be pointed another direction

Wallpacks or other types of fixtures may not give you the option to point the PC different directions.  If they are mounted in a conduit hole, ya can maybe move the PC to a hole that faces more north or less south.  If it's mounted in a specific place, ya just have to take what ya get.

Another popular option with button photocells is to point them straight up.  Just make sure ya use gaskets to seal around it so it won't leak  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:54:09 AM by icefoglights » Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

GE M-400A1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Pontiac 6000 STE

Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 12:12:40 AM » Author: GE M-400A1
My master PC on my control box just faces out my window which is east. The box controls all of my streetlight's, wallpacks, and bucket light's!

My 86FP is very sensitive!

My Cars:

1986 Pontiac 6000 STE

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi

1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 03:34:44 AM » Author: lite_lover
Cool, I like sensitive PC's (on late off early) best for energy saving.

The brighter the better.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 10:36:36 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Thanks for the infos guys! I though also: the photocontrols sensivity will change during their life, and each one at a unique way!

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 03:03:22 AM » Author: lite_lover
Mainly the early cadmium sulfide eyed PC's deteriorated with prolonged exposure to direct sunlight,hense the practice to point PC's north.New PC's are more durable and direction is not a major issue,just mainly for even dawn/dusk light levels.Also easier to align the North arrows on the PC and recepacle when installing.

The brighter the better.

sotonsteve

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 03:57:33 AM » Author: sotonsteve
In Britain, where photocells don't have a window on the side, I don't think the orientation matters so much nowadays, if at all. Take a look at a SELC841 photocell, which is electronic like most photocells installed nowadays, and the photodiode is right in the centre of the photocell and pointing directly upwards, so rotating it would make no difference. Just as well, because street lighting departments are becoming increasingly lazy, so I doubt they would bother rotating each NEMA socket for each different installation.
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Photocontrols' windows and the north « Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 06:47:01 PM » Author: streetlight98
I've seen that most ge M250R2 (2003+) pointat about "7 O'clock" from looking at them from the pole. :)

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies