Author Topic: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they  (Read 5907 times)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « on: September 17, 2016, 02:20:23 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I've yet to make it to NYC.  Curious to know what they are using in NYC?  Mostly HPS?  Any MV left? 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 06:24:36 PM » Author: jrmcferren
MTA is switching their bridges to LED, I haven't been to NYC at night since before Sandy hit so no idea, but I do know that in 2012 they were running a lot of HPS and Mercury. As funds become available I would not be surprised to see NYC start changing more lighting to LED to reduce energy costs. They are also wanting to get rid of one of the nuclear plants (Indian Point IIRC) so that will also have some say in the desire to increase efficiency.

Manhattan will probably see upgrades first. Queens and Brooklyn will probably be after Manhattan. Bronx and Staten Island will probably be last (Bronx due to being poor, Staten Island due to lower density).
Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 11:20:01 PM » Author: Ugly1
 Here is some information on Street lights in The City Of New York. Starting in 2007, all street lights were changed to
100 and 150 watt HPS  Cooper luminaires equipped with electronic ballasts. Whatever mercury lights ( no more than a few hundred,if that many) still existing were replaced. In 2012, a test installation of LED fixtures was made on the Honeywell Street bridge in Long Island City.(Google Honeywell Bridge LED). This went well,so the first contract awarded was to replace all highway and parkway lights.
  The contractors purchase the luminaires from manufacturers on the list approved by The NYCDOT. The contractor chose Cree 101 watt luminaires for the highway replacements.The next major contract was for what was called by the City "The Vision Zero" program. In an attempt to decrease pedestrian fatalities, thousands of street lights were added at intersections,mounted on existing poles at a 90 degree angle to the original luminaire. For this contract Cooper Verdeon 77watt luminaires were used.
For  Brooklyn The contractor chose Cooper Verdeon luminaires in 77 and 91 watt versions.Brooklyn is completed.        Queens was next and the contractor,Welsbach Electric,chose Philips Lumec in 108 and 64 watt versions. Queens is nearly completed. The lights on my street were changed on tuesday. The light in front of my house was a 150watt HPS and was replaced with a 64 watt LED. It's quite astounding to me how well the street is lit, with the light being thrown up and down the street much better than I expected. The only difference is the loss of the stray light that lit up the yards.
  I was able to purchase a copy of the next contract, for The Bronx,Manhattan,and Staten Island.Welsbach was again the low bidder. Purchase and install 86,000 luminaires and photocontrols. Low bid ,a little over $17,000,000. That's about $200 per luminaire. Work to start Jan. of 2017. In case you think that's a high price,consider this. The contractor must use Local 3 "A" construction electricians. The salary is $54.00 an hour,with an additional benefit package of $55.00  an hour. It's no wonder that according to one of the guys I talked to, that the company is trying to get them to change 32 luminaires per day.
Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 07:40:09 AM » Author: Ugly1
Correction- the Phillips fixtures are Roadfocus RFS 64 watt and RFM 108 watt.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 09:16:45 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup, the road focus is what they are using out here now. 

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:21:36 PM » Author: lights*plus
Thanks for the new NYC LED luminaire info!

The RoadFocus is indeed a Philips Lumec product.
The RFS (RoadFocusSmall) is only listed as either a 35w & 54w model.

http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/our-brands/lumec/roadfocus-led-cobra-head-small-rfs.html
http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/Documents/webdb2/Lumec/pdf/RoadFocus-RFM-Spec.pdf
http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/our-brands/lumec/roadfocus-led-cobra-head-large-rfl.html

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:39 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I'm still quite happy with the Road Focus.  It's a good light.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I see versions of this one around (now with lights*plus 's link I know what brand they are LOL)
http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/our-brands/lumec/roadfocus-led-cobra-head-large-rfl.html

Also see a fair number of GE Evolve's ( a couple different versions )

And some others too, but not as many as the above 2

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 08:02:09 PM » Author: lights*plus
@Ugly1

First of all, the information given here is very much appreciated particularly now with all the travel restrictions, many of us here are relying on New Yorkers' first hand experiences on LED conversions..

Currently in 2020, has Manhattan stayed with the Cooper HPS luminaires with the augmented Verdeon 77w LEDs on intersections? Or has Manhattan gone completely LED?

For Brooklyn and Queens, was this the same as Manhattan, an intersection augmentation with LED, or a wholesale switch from start?

When you purchased a copy of the "next contract"...
I was able to purchase a copy of the next contract, for The Bronx,Manhattan,and Staten Island...
Where these full-blown LED conversions now?

Are the conversions now completed in a five burrows??
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 08:38:44 PM » Author: lights*plus
@ Ugly1 ..I forgot to also ask what color temperature was the  RoadFocus LED installed in front of you?
Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 02:00:28 PM » Author: Ugly1
That figure of 330,000 includes the regular pole mounted luminaires, park  post top luminaires, underpass luminaires, and security floodlights mounted on street light poles. The regular pole mounted street lights have all been converted to LED, and contracts have been given out for all the other types of lights.
As I have said, the contractor for Brooklyn used the Verdeon luminaires, as did the contractor that added the streetlights at intersections Citywide. Again, as I said, the contractor for Queens used the Phillips luminaires.
Because of many complaints about the color of the light(4000K), the contractor for the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island
was required use 3000K luminaires. I believe the luminaire that Welsbach picked to use is the Cooper Archeon.
The last contract that has been given out is for the street light mounted security floodlights. These have kind of an interesting history. During the mercury vapor conversion program of the late 1950’s and early1960’s, it was decided that security lighting for parks, playgrounds,and schoolyards would also be installed. It wasn’t meant to provide light for activities, just enough light for a passing patrol car to detect malfeasance. What was decided upon was to use what I would describe as a giant  PAR lamp holder equipped with a 400 watt mercury reflector flood light bulb. If one flood was used, it was mounted on the pole shaft cap. If two flood lights were called for, a small cast aluminum trough was mounted on the shaft cap, and two lamp holders mounted on the trough. The ballasts of course were mounted in the base.
By the late 1960’s the flood light fixtures being installed was still a “giant” PAR lampholder, but now it was equipped with an internal 400 watt ballast and a photoelectric control receptacle. I have never seen any catalog showing what company made these fixtures.
About 1990, these mercury fixtures were replaced by what I believe is the GE  P150 floodlight luminaire equipped with the S56 150 watt HPS lamp(NYC standard).
Now under the current contract, these are being replaced with an LED floodlight rated at 78 watts. I have seen these in operation and they do an absolutely amazing job for only 78 Watts.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 02:49:58 PM » Author: lights*plus
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yeah I've seen somewhere (Wikipedia most likely) the street-lights for streets alone maintained by NYCDOT (were) at about 265,000. Still the largest municipal street-lighting system in the USA!

Ah so all of NYC's street-lights are now LED, :poof: , Brooklyn and Queens are at 4000°K color temp. and Bronx, Staten Island and Manhattan are at 3000°K. I suppose now a regular HPS street-light is hard to find. But many of the Cooper electronic-ballasted HPS luminaires were probably less than 10 years old!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:01:25 PM by lights*plus » Logged
Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 07:20:46 PM » Author: Ugly1
There are still some of the Cooper hps fixtures around. In a system of this size, there are always streets that are missed for some reason. I was an electrician for a large NYC agency for over 34 years, so I know how fouled up a bureaucracy can be.
A contract is given out, the work supposedly is done, the inspectors sign off on it, and that’s it. Except sometimes the inspectors do a “ long distance” inspection from their office. One of our buildings had a contract given out for a roof mounted air conditioning unit for a computer hub room. I was sent out to check a no power complaint from our stationary engineer. I found that there had never been a feed run to the ac unit on the roof. I reported this to my foreman and the usual happened.
Because some one would have gotten in trouble over this, our in house electricians ran the feed for something that had already been paid for.
It ‘s the same for the street lighting contracts. Once the contract is completed and signed off on, the job is done. If you see a
high pressure sodium luminaire, it’s not there because it was supposed to have been changed to LED. In the early 1970’s when NYC replaced the mercury luminaires with HPS, hundreds of mercury luminaires were missed. Most of these remained until the “ Great Cooper Change Out” of 2007-2012.
By the way, the person selling the 150 watt Cooper fixtures on eBay has another ten listed. For $65 including shipping,it’s a fantastic deal.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 07:41:02 PM » Author: lights*plus
By the way, the person selling the 150 watt Cooper fixtures on eBay has another ten listed. For $65 including shipping,it’s a fantastic deal.

I can't find it.. Where is it?

And I always love your detailed replies  8;)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 08:10:51 PM » Author: High Intensity
I can't find it.. Where is it?

Here it is. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274427687372?ViewItem=&item=274427687372
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies