Author Topic: Cameras In Hot Car  (Read 7545 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Cameras In Hot Car « on: September 17, 2016, 01:07:21 PM » Author: wattMaster
Is it safe to leave my camera in a hot car for a couple of hours, in full sun?
What about just lenses?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 01:59:08 PM » Author: wattMaster
Maybe 120 degrees F? Would lenses be OK at that temperature?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 03:32:33 PM » Author: Ash
Intuitively i dont like the idea of the image sensor chip in such temperature. Should not be a problem for other electronics (when switched off so not heating any higher than the ambient)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:36:56 PM » Author: wattMaster
It's doesn't tell you the maximum temperature. :-\

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 04:20:21 PM » Author: RCM442
Well, if your camera is using a li-ion battery pack, it shouldn't go above 140 or you will degrade it majorly OR worse. I'd be careful

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 04:21:49 PM » Author: wattMaster
Well, if your camera is using a li-ion battery pack, it shouldn't go above 140 or you will degrade it majorly OR worse. I'd be careful
Is there anything in lenses that could also get damaged, like any lubricants or electronics?

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 07:32:37 PM » Author: RCM442
Don't think it would hurt it, but then again, never can be too careful.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 08:10:53 PM » Author: wattMaster
And if you store it in a box or bag, that will provide a little insulation.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 01:35:26 AM » Author: Ash
If insulated it will slow the temperature rise, but if left for long enough it will get to the exact same temperature

Another option is to stick it in the coldest places of the car like on the floor under the front seats - Hot air rises up so does not get there, while the bottom of the car is a sheet metal hetsink cooled by outside air going under the car, so the temps there may be quite a bit lower
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 09:28:49 AM » Author: wattMaster
The other problem with leaving cameras in cars are with thieves.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 11:56:12 AM » Author: Medved
The biggest problem I would see are the thieves (= cost of a new car window, car cleaning, then the camera itself).

And from the technical point of view: The car heat is no problem for neither the sensor, lens or so. The only heat damage to the sensor may come from the sun directly shining into the lens. But there the car heat makes no difference at all.
The main component to worry about is really "just" the battery.

No more selfballasted c***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 04:18:30 PM » Author: wattMaster
Something else I would be concerned about are possible phosphors used in a LED backlight for the display.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:26 PM » Author: Ash
No problem for them. In many LEDs the Phosphor area thats in direct contact with the chip is withstanding much more when the LED is on
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 04:35:12 PM » Author: wattMaster
And yet another thing to worry about is the processor, flash memory, and copper oxidizing/corroding/rusting at high temps.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cameras In Hot Car « Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 04:48:43 PM » Author: Ash
They all will withstand the temperature. Same as with the Phosphor, the insides of many electronic components get same or hotter when they are in normal use - So they gotta be fine in the hot ambient when not powered up so not adding any heat of their own
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies