Author Topic: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light  (Read 2730 times)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « on: September 20, 2016, 08:55:16 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Feeler Post.  Not sure why until now it never occurred to me to post this in the Lighting Gallery classifieds!

Looking for a 2X40 preheat shop light. Or 3 or 4 lamp.  Or even 1 lamp.   Preferably not a 'bathtub' reflector unit, but if that's what I get I'm happy.  But looking for more of a '50s era unit with a good solid reflector and minimal rust.  (but whatever, it's a 60+ year old fixture I'm asking for, what do I expect?)

Still-preheat preferred, though I could always change that back I suppose.  Anybody willing to part with one, or know of any?  More importantly, shipping to ALASKA? I know, you might be laughing at me, and I don't blame you at all.

Anybody?  Anything? 
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:01:50 PM » Author: wattMaster
What about rapidstart?
I have always wanted a F40(T12?) preheat light, too.
But all I have is a semi-modern 2-lamp F40 rapidstart fixture.
And it would take a lot to send a big & heavy metal thing several thousand miles.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:07:39 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 01:14:28 AM » Author: ace100w120v
I already have several vintage (1970s) F40/RS shop lights, with proper HPF full power magnetic rapid start ballasts and F40CW lamps to boot!  If I find any locally you bet they'd be my desk light in a heartbeat but I wouldn't get one from far away unless it was completely NOS, never used. 

Specifically looking for preheat.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:45:40 AM » Author: wattMaster
It seems like these are rare, but it would sound like there are actually a lot of them.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:19 AM » Author: Lumex120
It seems like these are rare, but it would sound like there are actually a lot of them.
They do exist, but they aren't as common as the RS versions. They do pop up at my local Restore from time to time, usually $15-20.

Unofficial LG Discord

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:51:02 AM » Author: funkybulb
I have a sugestion for a Preheat F40 fixture  using Rapid start ballast.  Just disconect both cathode
Heater from both end of tube. Wire in a starter block
And FS 4 starter. U can make a F40 preheater unit that
Way.  Hopefully that will get ya going for now.  Hope fully that will give u a cheap "F40 preheat fix."

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 12:35:05 PM » Author: Lumex120
I have a sugestion for a Preheat F40 fixture  using Rapid start ballast.  Just disconect both cathode
Heater from both end of tube. Wire in a starter block
And FS 4 starter. U can make a F40 preheater unit that
Way.  Hopefully that will get ya going for now.  Hope fully that will give u a cheap "F40 preheat fix."

Does that actually work? I need to try it if it does...

Unofficial LG Discord

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 01:44:00 PM » Author: funkybulb
All it is it a Autotransforner choke with two heating transformer coiis.  For singe lamp ballast

In UK there something called quick start
Basically a choke with added dual heating transformer
To keep cathode heated.  And a PFC cap. The componets are seperatly wired in

But with american rapid start all this wired in one
Ballast F can.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 08:55:46 PM » Author: ace100w120v
If I was doing that I'd buy some NOS preheat gear, there's always vintage ballasts on eBay it seems. 
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:23 PM » Author: nicksfans
I understand that totally...it's generally more satisfying to have the real thing than a homemade replica. It can be pretty difficult to find F40 preheat fixtures in the wild, especially ones that are still preheat. I have two 2x40 PH industrials and two 3x40 PH troffers but I'm not about to part with any of them. ;) I might be able to be talked out of one of the troffers...maybe...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:27:20 PM by nicksfans » Logged

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 10:30:41 PM » Author: ace100w120v
How much would you want for one, and also shipping to, yeah, I know, ALASKA?  I have places a troffer could be used back home, some ceilings that are still unfinished anyway where one might fit.  How deep are they? (2X6 floor joists)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: WANTED: F40 preheat shop light « Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 10:42:11 PM » Author: nicksfans
I'll PM you.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies