Author Topic: Clear MV Lamps Popularity in the U.S.A.  (Read 3755 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Clear MV Lamps Popularity in the U.S.A. « Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 02:59:05 AM » Author: Medved
Don't forget the clear lamp has all light concentrated into a rather thin rod shaped arc, what allows way better optical control of the fixture beam.
So when such optic is used (e.g. in the form of a refractor cover or so), the clear lamp gives actually way better system efficacy (measured as the minimum illumination over a given  area covered or as an area covered to given minimum illumination level, either compared towards the input power). The losses of the coated lamps go mainly on account of the light spill and uniformity.
Because the phosphor does not increase the efficacy that much (in the order of 10..20%, at best), the difference in the beam control losses does not have to be that great (even the cheap yard blasters feature a refractor redirecting mast of the light away from the wall they are assumed to be mounted on, increasing the flux forward, where the light is mainly needed; of course, that does not work with any coated lamp)...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:08:19 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Clear MV Lamps Popularity in the U.S.A. « Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 12:53:42 AM » Author: tolivac
In one book I have on Architecture-they mention architects like clear mercury lamps for outside building lighting-lights that light the building-and those lighting gardens and trees around the building.
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Clear MV Lamps Popularity in the U.S.A. « Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 09:30:35 PM » Author: streetlight98
Hmm yeah never gave much thought to clear MV and coated MV both being popular. Phosphored MV lamps had been pretty much exclusively used by electric companies in my area. They never used clear MV lamps in large numbers once the /C and /DX lamps became commercially available. I think the clear lamps were probably cheaper traditionally, but I'm actually finding that the clear lamps are more expensive now, probably due to their lower popularity. I like clear and phosphored MV but I prefer phosphored because of the softer light (I also prefer diffused MH and HPS lamps for the same reason). I also like the fact that I don't look like Shrek the Ogre under /DX MV like I do with clear lamps lol. /DX lamps are a little brighter than clear lamps but as the lamps age (and phosphor) the phosphor becomes less effective and actually starts to block light. So overall, I'd imagine clear lamps would have better lumen maintenance, albeit slight.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies