Author Topic: Redded out HPS lamp getting whiter in color before cycling?  (Read 1347 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Redded out HPS lamp getting whiter in color before cycling? « on: December 04, 2016, 12:36:47 PM » Author: dor123
Recently, this redded out HPS in this AEG Koffer 150 , began to behave bizzare.
This lamp have a warm reddish color with a slightly pink tone when it is at full output.
I've noticed this firstly today early in the morning and also at the evening, that this lamp begins shifting it color from its reddish pink color to more and more whiter tone of pink, before extingushing for a cycle.
Why this is happening?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Redded out HPS lamp getting whiter in color before cycling? « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 01:08:33 PM » Author: RCM442
It's slowly leaking sodium out of the arctube, which is making the tone lighter and lighter as time goes on.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redded out HPS lamp getting whiter in color before cycling? « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:19:46 PM » Author: dor123
This not looks as related to the sodium being leaking, as this occurs in a very short time, every time before a cycle begins, and it always returns to its original reddish pink color after restriking from the cycle.
The process goes such: Reddish pink -> shifting to pinkish white -> Going out -> restriking at bluish mercury color -> going back to reddish pink -> shifting to pinkish white -> going out -> restriking at bluish mercury -> returning to reddish pink, and so on.
This looks like the lamp cooling down slightly before it goes out, but I don't find reasons for this.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redded out HPS lamp getting whiter in color before cycling? « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:27:09 PM » Author: dor123
This color shifting from reddish pink to pinkish white, occurs in a matter of a min approx (I didn't measured this yet).
I've never seen this before. But this is indeed a very well used lamp based on what happens inside the arctube during the cooling down when the lamp extingushed.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redded out HPS lamp getting whiter in color before cycling? « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 04:37:30 AM » Author: dor123
Update: I tried yesterday to photograph what happens with the lamp when it shifts color and cycles, but nothing happened. Today, early in the morning, I've seen this lamp not cycling, but shifting colors between reddish and pinkish white. I observed the spectrum of this lamp with my CD-R, and discovered that when shifting from reddish to pinkish white, the mercury lines getting stronger and the sodium line becomes narrower and weaker.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redded out HPS lamp getting whiter in color before cycling? « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 05:31:07 AM » Author: dor123
Here is two pictures showing the lamp at reddish and pinkish white colors respectively:

The lamp shifting between these colors, and in the case of this picture, after the first picture, the lamp has done 3 consecutive cycles without reaching to reddish color (Extingushing at pinkish white color). The second picture was taken after these three cycles.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies