Author Topic: Philips Surprised Me Today!  (Read 4097 times)
fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Philips Surprised Me Today! « on: May 19, 2008, 07:29:37 PM » Author: fran4001
Well in an unusual twist on a cold rainy lousy Monday, I opened a new case of Philips 250w Metal Halides today, and lo and behold, looking back at me instead of the usual ED28 bulb was a beautiful dozen BT28s! Just like the old days. We're Philips distributors, so I hope this is the wave of the future. Great looking lamps! Just thought I'd share the joy... ;)
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:52:09 PM » Author: FGS
Got a pic of them and their etches? I looked on their website and I couldn't find anything on them. I am curious to see them as the only BT of whatever size are Venture 1000w MH (BT-56) and a pair of Sylvania 400w MHs (BT-37s). Can't wait to see them at Home Depot as they sell Philips HID lamps.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:41:39 PM » Author: fran4001
Sadly, actually, good for the company, we sold all 24 today. I wish I had my camera! Definitely marked USA and April or May date codes. We get them direct from the Mountaintop PA warehouse. Our next shipment is due this Thursday or Friday, so I'll grab one then for photos.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:27:04 AM » Author: Silverliner
Oh very cool! Wonder if Sylvania made them or maybe Philips is going back to the good ol' Westy spec BT HID lamps? I do know that quite a bit of Westinghouse design specifications still go into the USA HID lamps, especially the basing cement and stem presses.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:30:18 AM » Author: fran4001
Well, I will try to get pics up today somewhere. I have one here at home, but am booked up with holiday (Memorial Day) proceedings for a while. The manufacturing code is "May 2008", ink-stamped on the cardboard sleeve, along with on the outside of the case of 12. Brass base also. Looked with a magnifying glass, but no apparent markings at all on the inner structures. Beautiful lamp though!
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:12:19 AM » Author: J-Frog
Is the etch on the top of the BT crown or the side of the lamp as usual?  I also wonder if it has the Philips signature gigantic end pinches on the arctube with the sprayed on heat retention coating.

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:46:47 AM » Author: fran4001
Okay, first off, my mistake here, but they were 175s, not 250 MH. Still, yes the etch is on top, and the arc tube has the big pinched ends and heat paint. Very cool.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:15:49 PM » Author: Silverliner
I'm wondering about a couple other stuff on these, do they have a glass rod on the lead next to the arc tube? Also is there a B on one side of the stem press and a 2 digit date code (one letter, one number) on the other side?

Electrician.

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:45:35 PM » Author: fran4001
I know the pics would be appreciated by all, but still too busy! Coming soon. In the meantime, no glass rod and no info on the stem press. The only date coding is May 2008 on the carton, mentioned previously, and the following ink stamps on the brass base: R/b858 0814 and
R/b858 again. Etch on top is this:
                                          PHILIPS
                                          175W r
                                           M57/E
                                        USA      Hg
                                          MH175U
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:36:30 AM » Author: Silverliner
Ok you gave me enough information, these are indeed made by Sylvania. The 4 digit code (b588) on the base is a dead giveaway, I have also seen some GE MHs made in BT by Sylvania. Also note that the 750w and 1kw MH lamps still come in BT-37 and BT-56 by all American manufacturers.

Electrician.

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:15:11 AM » Author: J-Frog
So it probably has a Sylvania arctube then, which has smaller endpinches and the heat coating is painted on instead, but a picture is worth 1000 words!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Philips Surprised Me Today! « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:53:46 PM » Author: fran4001
I know... ::) I'm trying!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies