Author Topic: What's up from Germany!  (Read 3909 times)
Big Daddy Kane
What's up from Germany! « on: August 11, 2006, 12:35:38 AM » Author: Big Daddy Kane
Just thought I'd say what's up.

I am an electrician in the USAF stationed in Germany, so if there are any weird German lamp pic requests, I can try to get some for ya.

So far these are the most common German lamps:
Exterior:
  • Most of the HID lights you are all already familiar with, except Germany uses LPS (55W on base) to light up crosswalks.  Smaller cities also use them as regular streetlights.
  • There is also extensive use of single and dual tube 58W flourescent street lights that look like they were converted from ~180W LPS.

Industrial:
  • Same ol HPS and MH lamps you're used to in the States, with the differences being the ballasts. 
  • External capacitors and ignitors, but that's not the difference... difference is the super cheap terminals they use.
  • Extensive use of 58W Flourescent tubes also.

Business/household:
  • Widespread use of those 12V halogen spotlights
  • 13-20W CFLs
  • 18W T8 ~2' Flourescent
  • 36W T8 ~4' Flourescent
  • Not many incandescent lights, Germany is REALLY energy concious

With the flourescent lamps, Germany seemed to skip a generation.  There are still new fixtures (along with nearly 99% of currently installed fixtures) with external starters.  Seems like 1950s technology to me, but hey, it's reliable.  IIRC, it's all preheat technology.

They are just now starting to phase in electronic ballasts, but they seem to have a very high failure rate and are more difficult to change out than the old external starter ballasts.

The old ballasts have 2 connections, which make it nice and simple when hooking stuff up!

But if you ask me, these euro lights are crap!  You need a 7 level (~5mm flat head) screwdriver to be able to connect any wires to terminals (even in HID setups).  New fad is to use push in compression style connections, which makes it REALLY easy to hook up, but I don't think the connection is quite as good as a screw terminal!
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: What's up from Germany! « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 11:01:40 AM » Author: prawnman88
the classic don't change it if works
Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's up from Germany! « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:50:42 AM » Author: Santaarnpaal
I have visited Germany many times.

I know the fluorescent streetlights are still popular there. The Netherlands used also a lot of fluorescent streetlights but most of them are starterless.
With the popularity of the fluorescent fixtures in streetlighting you will expect that the compact fluorescent will also become popular but strange enough they are very rare in Germany, only in the town of Lübeck i have spotted a lot of compact fluorescent streetlights. The compact fluorescents are very populair in the country i live (The Netherlands).

Here some Some Holiday pictures also a lot from Germany taken in 1995 and this year.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 11:52:17 AM by Santaarnpaal » Logged
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: What's up from Germany! « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:07:20 PM » Author: prawnman88
by the way a big helllooooo from us on  here big daddy !!!! glad u joined  us on here !!!!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies