Author Topic: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast  (Read 4638 times)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:33 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I have a Sylvania Lumalux 250W high pressure sodium lamp, a 175W mercury vapor ballast and a BBQ igniter. Can the 250W HPS lamp can start on a 175W MV ballast (with the igniter  ::)) ?

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:41:33 PM » Author: FGS
Do you have a picture of the lamp? Generally it's not a very good idea to mismatch ballasts/lamps. It will shorten their life.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:51:30 AM » Author: lite_lover
Hi Vince, yeah you will ruin your lamp with the higher voltage of the MV ballast,plus I don't think the BBQ lighter would start it,you would need an ignitor. You will have to find yourself a 250W HPS ballast to try your lamp. ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 01:55:48 AM by lite_lover » Logged

The brighter the better.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:30:43 AM » Author: Silverliner
BBQ igniters will sometimes start a HPS lamp on a mercury ballast, depending on the minimum starting voltage required by the arc tube. Normally arc tubes with slightly lower pressure will start easily, while others are impossible!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:53:18 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I powered up a 100 watt HPS lamp in a 175 watt MV ballast with BBQ ignitor, the video is in my youtube account

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:24:48 PM » Author: J-Frog
And I powered up a 100w HPS lamp on a 175w MH ballast also using a BBQ ignitor, it was a cycler on a HPS ballast but ran without cycling on the MH ballast and even seemed to be the right color!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:54:05 AM » Author: arcblue
It's interesting what will work & what won't work on the wrong ballast. I think it also depends on the condition of the individual lamp & ballast.

I played around with my 100w HPS ballast the other night and found it would not light up a 70w (pulse start) or 250w MH (probe start) lamp - in either case, the ignitor makes an unstable, thin arc between the main electrodes, but that is it. On a 400w MH lamp, I get absolutely nothing. Interestingly, that 400w MH won't fire on a 400w mercury ballast either...it really needs a metal halide ballast, and it's a brand new lamp, too.

However, I was able to fire up a 400w mercury lamp on the 100w HPS ballast...it ran up to about half brightness with normal color, and didn't cycle, and the ballast didn't get hot nor did the arc tube blacken at all from being underpowered.

A 175w mercury lamp will cycle on this ballast, though. An incandescent or CFL will work fine, but at much reduced efficiency (system using more power than it would without a ballast).

Best to use a lamp on the gear it was designed for, for sure....

I'm lampin...

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:17:04 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Arcblue......regarding to firing up MH in MV ballast.....I've noticed it depends on the brand of the lamps and lamps itself too....

A Sylvania MH lamp is usually the hardest to fire up....I have tried many Sylvania MHs on MV ballasts, either they never fire up OR it takes a while for them to fire up...that's for both Pulse and Probe. Other brands are easier to fire up though. I have three 50 watt pulse start Sylvania MH lamps and NO 50 watt MH ballasts...so I tried them on 175 watt MV ballast and my 39 watt CMH electronic start ballast....only 1 of my 3 is less stubborn than others...the 2 will never fire up while 1 will struggle and sometimes  successfully fire up. But again, wrong ballast, not gonna work properly, I'm just speaking about firing up. So even same age lamps (same date) each are different.

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:03:06 AM » Author: arcblue
I forgot about that....maybe I should have just let it sit there powered for a while and see if it would eventually strike. My Sylvania 250w on a proper 250w CWA MH ballast even takes a few seconds to strike....but my pulse start 70w GE Halarc is even worse, sometimes taking over a minute....but it always lights. The 70w Sylvania fires instantly though. HID lamps can be "tempermental." And they change color as they warm up (sorry just had to try the color thing

I'm lampin...

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Starting a 250W HPS lamp on a 174W MV ballast « Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 01:51:18 PM » Author: don93s
Another thing to consider. If you attempt to fire a 55v HPS on a HX (no cap) MV ballast, it is possible to overheat the ballast because the lower lamp voltage will cause the ballast to run at a higher current. A CW (with cap) may be more tolerant because the current is more consistent despite lamp voltage variance. Also, a 175w mercury lamp will cycle on a 70w or 100w HPS ballast because the current is enough to pressure up the lamp to exceed ballast voltage. A 400w mercury lamp will require more current than ballast has to reach enough pressure to cycle, therefore it may stay lit at lower brightness.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies