Author Topic: Weird lamp (to me anyway)  (Read 2515 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Weird lamp (to me anyway) « on: May 29, 2017, 07:45:22 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Why is this thing squared off on the sides? its just an ordinary light bulb not a halogen or anything like that

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 10:18:32 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Philips Square bulb. Longer life with that design.  Well kinda.  sorta.  Someone else can explain it better.  They were cool though. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCnp1nv3UkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsTjAUpWU8

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:09:23 PM » Author: CEB1993
These are T19 light bulbs.  They were produced by Philips back in the 1990's.  Childhood memories  :D

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:42:37 PM » Author: hannahs lights
I remember these bulbs I think ee had a few of these in our house a local electrical shop had them on offer for a while do ee snapped them up whilst they were cheep
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:49:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Seeing these rings a bell, we had a few at home before I left.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:18 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Seeing these rings a bell, we had a few at home before I left.
I recently have obtained a similar one made by westinghouse: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4651&pos=2&pid=139541

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

bryanrb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 02:49:07 PM » Author: bryanrb
Yes Westinghouse did make the square light bulbs too. They must have had a patent on it like GE did with the powergrooves. Remember Philips bought out Westinghouse back in the late 80s or early 90s.
Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 02:06:11 AM » Author: Edmund Ironside
That looks like a Philips Softtone  lamp. They used that shape to furthen the distance from the filament to the glass in combination with a thick coat to make the light softer. I have a couple of these, they are great for those places where you need a glare free, soft light. These where also available with different coatings like Terracotta to give it a pinker light.

Made in Sweden

Make

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 02:34:46 PM » Author: Make
Many manufacturers have similar lamps in 1990's. In my catalogs found Osram Bellalux and its coloured version Bellalux Soft. The colours was Rosa, Mandarin, Citron, Jade and Azur.
Other model is GE Soft, non-coloured.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 07:54:16 PM » Author: BT25
These are T19 light bulbs.  They were produced by Philips back in the 1990's.  Childhood memories  :D
Don't forget that it was Westinghouse who pioneer this design in the 1960's.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Weird lamp (to me anyway) « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 07:55:13 PM » Author: BT25
Yes Westinghouse did make the square light bulbs too. They must have had a patent on it like GE did with the powergrooves. Remember Philips bought out Westinghouse back in the late 80s or early 90s.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies