Author Topic: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust.  (Read 3459 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « on: June 09, 2017, 04:58:31 AM » Author: Silverliner
Hard to believe, but the lamp industry all over the West have sold out to the Chinese.

http://www.edisonreport.net/lighting-industry-news/dont-call-ge-lighting-right-now-they-are-company-wide-meeting-read-internal-sale-letter-here/

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:50:20 AM » Author: Ash
Time ot consider something

Perhaps it is possible for few of us who live in the same location to come together and pick some tooling from there (specifically the slow tooling used for small/experimental runs) and keep running it as "weekend projects" ?

Even if not profitable, it would be much more interesting and better cause than spending money on buying out stocks of remaining lamps from the past on Ebay. Think of it : No complaining that lamps arent made right anymore (and getting answers about profitability of old lamp business in the US), but actually doing something, for fun and for the fact we made it
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:45:53 AM » Author: suzukir122
Is this the reason why I found F15T8 lamps in Walmart that were made in China? I bought one, and it appears to
have the exact same halophosphate color as the USA GE daylight lamps I bought... but it also has electrode shield guards,
and Sylvania type end caps.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:19:17 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Such a shame. Big companies don't see lighting business anymore as profitable and secure business as it was and can't really blame them for that. LED has turned over the whole business and conventional light sourcess are rapidly dissappearing. I think this is just reducing risk for the company and selling possibly declining business parts while there still is some one willing to buy.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:47:20 AM » Author: Lumex120
Disgusting things these newfangled LEDs are causing. If I didn't already hate them enough I sure do now.

Unofficial LG Discord

RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:31:34 AM » Author: RyanKorponay12
Time ot consider something

Perhaps it is possible for few of us who live in the same location to come together and pick some tooling from there (specifically the slow tooling used for small/experimental runs) and keep running it as "weekend projects" ?

Even if not profitable, it would be much more interesting and better cause than spending money on buying out stocks of remaining lamps from the past on Ebay. Think of it : No complaining that lamps arent made right anymore (and getting answers about profitability of old lamp business in the US), but actually doing something, for fun and for the fact we made it

i compleatly agree with you this needs to happen so at least there are some still being made somewhere even if its not from ge but someones garage

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:28:53 PM » Author: Silverliner
Everyone, no drama against any light source. Let's be technology neutral. I'm just talking about how the industry is changing so fast and don't know about selling out to the Chinese.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:50:00 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Everyone, no drama against any light source. Let's be technology neutral. I'm just talking about how the industry is changing so fast and don't know about selling out to the Chinese.

I agree, this isn't anything special in a world of big corporations. There are many examples throught out the history about corporations shedding business sections that they consider to be either too risky or unprofitable. As sad as it is I think we just have to accept that the world and technology goes on and most conventional light sources are going to became obsolite in a long run.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:29:50 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
At least there is still Philips... <sigh>

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 12:55:27 AM » Author: tolivac
Well,so much for what used to be GE high quality lighting equipment!Now its going to be China junk!Hate how good names are slapped on JUNK!!!Westinghouse,RCA are other examples.
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 01:01:47 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
I doubt that there will be any immediate change in the GE Lighting products. Sylvania sold their lighting division last year (the new company is Ledvance LLC.) and the products haven't changed. The parent company may be different, but the factories will probably stay the same.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 01:31:02 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I doubt that there will be any immediate change in the GE Lighting products. Sylvania sold their lighting division last year (the new company is Ledvance LLC.) and the products haven't changed. The parent company may be different, but the factories will probably stay the same.
And havels-sylvania became feilo-sylvania.

Osram (us sylvania?) Became ledvamce.

Narva "kicked the bucket"

Now GE is also on the list

What have we got left? Philips (wasn't there some rumours last year?). Aura-light is still on the business. How about Radium lampenwerk? It's not so well known up here but all the radium lamps I've seen have been decent. What else?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 06:06:28 AM » Author: dor123
This isn't just Sylvania that sold their lighting division to Ledvance. This is Osram globally that are now Ledvance, and they sold their american Sylvania brand as well.
See here for non American Osram Ledvance lamps .

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 01:22:22 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
My point was that even though the corporate office is changing, the company and products are probably the same.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: It's official. GE Lighting bites the dust. « Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 05:18:26 AM » Author: dor123
According to what I've seen in Ledvance Asia (Osram Asia), their HID lamps are unchanged, and they even have lamps that are banned by the EU. I think that the major difference are with the LEDs and the integrated CFLs.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies