Author Topic: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like?  (Read 1607 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « on: July 30, 2017, 12:44:53 AM » Author: Silverliner
Own any of these? What do you like/dislike about them?

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 03:19:19 AM » Author: Lodge
Own any of these? What do you like/dislike about them?

I like them all, but I don't like how the dodge trucks seem to leave parts on the highway, and sometimes they are important parts like the copper nut that holds the starter cable on the on the starter, of course you don't notice it until you go to start the truck next time, and small stuff like that, it's not that it's expensive or even that hard to fix but it just drives people nuts, maybe I got spoiled driving a series II land rover with a hand crank starter.. And I really dislike fuseable links, what is the problem with using real fuses, it makes trouble shooting so much easier but that is problem shared with all of them..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:21:22 AM by Lodge » Logged
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 03:03:20 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
They all, including crapota & Nissan trucks have their issues.  Right now there really is no clear winner when it comes to reliability and durability.  There are so many components on vehicles now a days it's a nightmare for the repair shops, dealer or independent.  I frequent the forums for all the truck brands and it's amazing some of the issues the manufacturers are having with trucks after 30,000 miles or so.  It's a crab shoot. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 05:23:46 AM » Author: Medved
They all, including crapota & Nissan trucks have their issues.  Right now there really is no clear winner when it comes to reliability and durability.  There are so many components on vehicles now a days it's a nightmare for the repair shops, dealer or independent.  I frequent the forums for all the truck brands and it's amazing some of the issues the manufacturers are having with trucks after 30,000 miles or so.  It's a crab shoot. 

These statements are not true, although it may seem so.
The thing is, in the past the cars had a lot of "small" issues (e.g. carburetter clogging, misalignments, ignition contact wear and consequent advance alignment issues and many similar), which although cheap to fix, they were filling all the garages. Compare to these, the bigger problems were taken as way less common, so even when costly, people just did not count them.

With the development in the last few decades all the "small" problems become virtually eliminated (the self calibrating electronic fuel control does not depend on precise mechanics at all,...), what remained are just the "big" problems (severe engine breakdowns,...).
Because there is no "baseline" of the "small problems", those "big" ones become noticed. And so create huge frustrations among owners (even their nature is shifting, still they are the same expensive and happen as often as similar cost problems did all the time in the history)...

And there is another difference: The cars are generally way cheaper than they used to be. So although a major engine overhaul cost about the same (and happens as often) as it did 50 years ago (it needs roughly the same amount of hand work), the cars cost fraction of what they used to (mainly because the new vehicle production is highly automated today). So if that overhaul was 10% of the new vehicle cost 50 years ago, the same is now easily 50% of the vehicle cost and the 50% vs 10% is what is so irritating today...

And there is another difference: Once some design flaw (or batch faults) become discovered, in the past car makers just ignored that, even when it means a safety hazard. Today they are required to actively collect the data, report them and organize corrections on all affected vehicles (mainly if it involves personal or environmental safety). So people are made aware of many issues, which were just quietly ignored few decades ago...

No more selfballasted c***

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:14:57 PM » Author: Lodge
Medved, while that is true, lots of people actually worry when the service engine light comes on, now this didn't happen 50 years ago because they didn't have a service engine soon light, people need to stop worrying about it and learn to read there own codes, and if it's not flashing it's not a major issue, and if it's a chevy truck I'd be more worried if the light was off..
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:04:41 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I like them all, but I don't like how the dodge trucks seem to leave parts on the highway, and sometimes they are important parts like the copper nut that holds the starter cable on the on the starter, of course you don't notice it until you go to start the truck next time, and small stuff like that, it's not that it's expensive or even that hard to fix but it just drives people nuts,

hehe puns

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:33 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like?
The only one of those I'd even consider would be a Ford.
but if I wanted something "like a rock" (as they say) to just sit there in the frontyard, I guess the Chevy would do LOL

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 03:16:05 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
When it comes to reliability and longevity, I'll take a GM truck over a Ford truck all the time.  Ford has left me stranded one too many times and too many things fall apart on them once they hit 100,000 miles.   

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 04:46:03 PM » Author: suzukir122
The only kinds of Dodge and Ford trucks I like are the Hemi and Diesel kind. Especially Dodge cummins diesel. I've
always thought that all of them sound really cool, even since I was a kid... although I'm not much of a car (excluding supersport cars)
or truck kind of guy. I don't own any, but I *would* like to if it didn't cost so much to maintain. (Diesel trucks, that is)

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chevy Dodge/Ram Ford Trucks which do you like? « Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:48 PM » Author: takemorepills
If we are talking about 1/2 ton trucks, I drive them all for work.

I myself, bought a Nissan Titan many years ago. It is now 11 years old. It is a 4 door 4x4 with "Big Tow" package. Back when I bought it, gas prices were high and I got a very good deal on it, almost 1/2 of what a comparable Chevy/Dodge/Ford would have cost.
In my time owning it, it has had these issues: blower motor resistor failed ($40) coolant outlet failed ($38) and I currently have 1 leaking rear axle seal that will cost about $500 to get both sides replaced.

We are very hard on this truck, I only do the minimum maintenance, we off-road it often (even try to hang with my Jeep friends, there is lots of frame dragging going on!) I tow heavy stuff all the time. Last year I spent a lot of time towing 10-11K 4 yard trailer with it on a big home project, I tow my 17' boat (4k pounds) with a dirtbike and quad in the bed and the truck and boat loaded with gear. Get into the mountains and it'll cruise right by the V6 Tacomas with small trailers. Taken it into MOAB and braffed the hell out of it. Anyway, as you can tell I am very fond of the Nissan Titan!

My friend has a 2014 RAM 3500 Cummins that is super darn nice, BUT, it blew a turbo at 36K miles while he was towing 6K pounds and ruined his whole weekend. The bill (covered by warranty in this case) was $6500!

We have Ford and RAM trucks at work. We have the new 6.7 diesels, and they have TONS of trouble. Usually all just emissions related, especially the EGR. They are constantly in the shop.
We also have the new 2016 F-150 Ecoboost V6s. One day I needed to use one of them, and all of them were returned to Ford for being "out of oil".
At my work, I rely on these Ford trucks to do my work (Traffic Signal Technician), but they are often broken!
Oddly, our most reliable truck is a pre-DEF Dodge Ram 4500 Cummins. I actually like that truck.

Anyways, Titans (2007+ are best) are VERY underrated trucks. And because of that, they are cheap to buy. I often find that our vendors and contractors have a few old 2004/05 Titans in their fleet, they say they are the best truck they have.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies