Author Topic: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group)  (Read 6762 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 12:25:23 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Flurofan96
Here is another song I like of AFX Twin (youtube link) this is like being on a FL lit street 
Playing it now :) Obviously not gonna listen to the whole thing since its a really long vid!
If I cranked up my stereo & turned on the subwoofer, i bet some parts of that could shake the room pretty good .lol. but I don't want to wake anyone up...
I've never been on a FL lit street :( as far as I know such never existed here.

----
I too like collecting CDs (I don't convert too many to MP3 though because its extremely time consuming)
There was a place here that sold used (and new) CDs/DVDs/Books/etc that went out of business last year...I didn't count, but I wouldn't be surprised if I hauled home a couple hundred CDs from the closing sale - the majority being 50cents each or less :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 04:57:48 PM » Author: Michael
https://soundcloud.com/cyclotron/user48736353001-mix

That's my actual favorite mix from Richard D James   ;D

Of course I listen to his music for almost two decades  :D
DimBulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:55 PM » Author: DimBulb
I've been into Aphex Twin/AFX for years!
I also like Autechre a lot and sometimes Mouse on Mars and Nobukazu Takemura.

My very first word was LIGHT!

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 05:39:29 AM » Author: Flurofan96
https://youtu.be/ACd2EOj3JO0

Another classic song from RDJ  (Polygon Window) this sounds like it's in some 1970s cop/police TV series.

Also I've discovered Autechre recently and my most favourite tracks is IO https://youtu.be/V5xVXyLt_t4

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 06:44:02 AM » Author: suzukir122
Because of this thread, after years of passing by that video "Aphex Twin Window Licker," I finally gave in and watched the video.

My day is ruined.

I think I'm gonna go lay down now.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 01:37:56 PM » Author: Flurofan96
sorry about that, Suzukir122  :'( :'(

Also you know electronic instruments/effects are not the same in Hip hop/rap music as to Techno/Dance/IDM well because of the style difference. One example what I see in some hip hop/rap music is that electronic instrument that sounds like a caribbean drum in a 'wah' style and tons of other electronic sounds that you only hear in hip hop which sound sort of 'lifeless' or 'flat'. Back in IDM, Techno/Dance the electronic instruments and effects like have more soul in them

https://youtu.be/HVp6NH59d3M Polygon Window - the electronic instruments be it sythesiser keyboards and drum beats, they are like have more expression and soul in them!!! Imagine being in a room full of fluorescent lighting or a HPS lit street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWny1Z9LzCk - Travis scott - Oh its OK but its more like being on a street with LED lighting and walking into a cheap establishment that has LED panel lights! Also you hear the electronic instrument that sounds like a steel drum with the 'wah' sound

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 01:57:11 PM » Author: suzukir122
 ;D Fluorofan96, not sure if you caught it or not, but I was joking when I said "My day is ruined. I'm gonna go lay down." hahaha...
merely a joke. I'm use to seeing women dancing. (and of course those women were really really fiiinneee) HOWEVER... I'm not use to seeing
creepy man-faced women dancing.  And then Rubber Johnny, also by Aphex Twin, wasn't any less creepy.
(If you haven't checked the video Rubber Johnny, check it out. VERY creepy)
But yeah as for Hip Hop, I literally grew up listening to rap. That was literally 90% of the music I would always listen to as a kid.
I even wanted to become a Hip Hop and R&B music producer. (I still have a heavy interest in doing so) I'm half African American, and half
Barbadian. I don't know if my ethnic background has anything to do with why I'm always so fixated on finding music with good, unique sounds
and rhythms, but I've always wondered if this is the case.
Maybe that's why I absolutely hate a lot of the stuff Hip Hop and R&B music producers have to offer nowadays. lol

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 06:26:46 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Suzukir122: Hahhaaaa  ;D :D sorta sensed that didn't I  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I grew up as a child with classical music as my mum is a classical piano teacher and I started playing violin at the age 8. I remember listening to Chopin nocturnes as back in the childhood days and then later on I listened to Beethoven and Dvorak and now I listen to some classical music as well as the music I've been saying in the past time on LG

Even when I was a kid, I listened to alongside classical music, was ELO and this old band called 10CC (I'm Not In Love song producers) and I am not a hip hop/rap person as I said I did not grow up listening to that sort of thing and the style I find of rap very irritating as it mainly is very very fast talking and its like you cannot ignore the lyrics as they sort of bash you in the head. I don't like listening to music where the tune or instrumental material is devoid of any artistic/aesthetic interest and it is left to the singer/vocalist to impress with the lyrics and so. As from my background, the culture of hip hop and rap feels very alien to me! I have found some very good rap or grime songs https://youtu.be/5r9n-PBPa_g by Meek Mill is extremely good with its tune!

I made a new friend at my uni and she knows Aphex Twin and she showed me the Rubber Johnny which was creepy  :o

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 07:14:02 AM » Author: suzukir122
Meek Mill, I have no interest in. LOL... the tune of that particular song is alright... at least the background music.
The rhythm is okay, but really sounds like the typical rhythm made in 2016/2017. Nothing unique about it to me.
As for Meek's lyric... horrible. And then also, most songs where they cheat and use computerized vocals = instant radio
station/song changing for me.

There are other musical interests I've developed as a kid, that had nothing to do with rap. A good example, the group
Art Of Noise, and their song Moments In Love (Remixed version only) is absolutely a song I listened to as a kid over and over
again. Both because of the beat, and the music. The original version is okay, but the Remixed version is much, much better,
with the Saxophone near the end of the song.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 09:06:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Flurofan96
Also you know electronic instruments/effects
With electronic, you can make any sound be an "instrument" :lol:

I always thought it'd be fun to do a YouTube vid and make background "music" for it made up of a various little 'fluorescent sounds' (like starters clicking & ballast hums)...
Somewhere I have a little collection of such sounds that I recorded, but never did anything with .lol.

Quote from: suzukir122
  Maybe that's why I absolutely hate a lot of the stuff Hip Hop and R&B music producers have to offer nowadays. lol
Not really a fan of rap/hip-hop myself ... but I did/do like some of the stuff made back in the 80's/early-90's :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 09:42:04 PM » Author: suzukir122
Me too. The 80's and 90's rap are absolute classics. Heck, the 80's and 90's music in general were
mainly made up of classics. I think it has a lot to do with passion for music back then compared to now.
The lyrics of most songs were great too.
That being said, there are those songs that got me scratching my head wondering what the heck was going on.
It was really rare but, it has happened. A good example of this is the song "Take These Broken Wings." by Mr. Mister.
MAAANNN up to this day I don't understand the lyrics. Loved the music, but still... I really don't understand
the story of that song. lol

Interests:

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 11:52:21 AM » Author: Flurofan96
OMG when I was having some booze with my mats in my uni, this song was played on the speakers of the bar and I Shazammed that song and it was Foals - What Went Down. I listened to it and it actually reminded me of AFX Twin's 'Xtal" track but in rock style and with lyrics

https://youtu.be/dEdpoLeF7sg?list=RDdEdpoLeF7sg Foals - What Went Down

https://youtu.be/H5eRyZPNj1w - AFX Twin - Xtal

Different style but I can see the sound similarity, especially with that resonating 'G note"  8) 8)

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:32 PM » Author: CEB1993
One of my favorite AFX songs so far is 4.  https://youtu.be/bIoI0yE0aIo?list=PLiN-7mukU_RHfppe7hjRD6WU06C9ib-T4

It's sort of melancholy and yet catchy.  Reminds me of driving through town at twilight during the winter, when the sun sets early in the day.  This song has a lot of emotion in it to me.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 04:47:26 PM » Author: Flurofan96
CEB1993: I love this '4' song from this 1996 close up grin of AFX  8)

https://youtu.be/PbCggYLtNv4 - this is cool!

https://youtu.be/QmJNkPnX2Jw - Sick one!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone listens or is a fan of Aphex Twin/AFX ?? (Music electronica group) « Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 06:01:49 PM » Author: suzukir122
:o  :o  :o Aphex Twin made music for Blade??!! That was my show!!! One of my favorite shows
as a kid!

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies