Author Topic: And so it starts....😡  (Read 8023 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 10:03:01 PM » Author: Cole D.
I hoping my town keeps existing HPS and MV fixtures for as long as possible. Since I rather see them up and in use, it's not like they'd let me keep any anyhow, plus I'd have no where to store them if they did.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 05:20:53 AM » Author: AngryHorse
What they should do and what they actually do are two entirely separate things. Around here, nobody consulted anybody, they just ripped out the HID lamps and replaced them en masse with the most dreadful glare-bombs of LED fixtures you can imagine  :'(

There are a handful of HPS lamps remaining, but they're vanishing fast  :'(
Bear in mind though you’re saying that as a lightning enthusiast, most ‘average Jo’s’ in a street probably don’t give a rats .... about street lighting as long as they have some, although they should have notified you of the actual work going ahead?
Before they did ours, residents got letters just asking that we please leave enough access for plant vehicles whilst work was being carried out.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 09:37:37 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Bear in mind though you’re saying that as a lightning enthusiast, most ‘average Jo’s’ in a street probably don’t give a rats .... about street lighting as long as they have some, although they should have notified you of the actual work going ahead?
Before they did ours, residents got letters just asking that we please leave enough access for plant vehicles whilst work was being carried out.

Yep, I have lightning bolts in my collection from Zeus himself! :D

Jokes aside, they never did say a LED conversion was going to happen in my city.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 10:24:11 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yep, I have lightning bolts in my collection from Zeus himself! :D

Jokes aside, they never did say a LED conversion was going to happen in my city.
Lol yeah. stupid predictive text!  ;D, anyway, about a year before they did ours, I went on Cheshire East’s street lighting page, and we were originally going to get PL-L fluorescents!, they had a map of our town with little yellow dots on selected streets, (the yellow dots were identified as just simply ‘fluorescent’), but there was no definite installation dates.
Then a few months later I went on again to check on the progress and the page had gone!!, I can only assume the highways department had had a meeting, and the fluorescent change over had been binned?
Nothing else was heard until the residential letters were posted and the maps were back on the site, but in red dots, LED.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:29:15 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 05:34:47 PM » Author: Rommie

Nope, nothing, zero, zilch. Mind you, they waited until we'd gone on holiday for 2 weeks before doing it. When we came back, I thought we'd turned into the wrong street  :'(
I can in some ways understand replacing an individual fixture when it fails (although a replacement lamp would be easier/cheaper, surely..?) but why on earth replace the whole street all at once, when they were ALL working perfectly ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:39:19 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #20 on: February 15, 2020, 10:36:45 AM » Author: M250R201SA
Ameren did that here in Eldorado too.  I went out OTR for work for 11 days, and when I came home, EVERY fixture had gone from GE HPS and MV to Leotek LED.  Granted, I love the Warm White LED luminaires, they make the street look like they’re lit with DLX Mercury lamps.  I miss the buzzing from the old old mercury fixtures from the ‘80s, but at least they didn’t install 5 or 6,000k.  We were fortunate enough to get 3,000k.  And the Leotek fixtures have yet to fail.  Some of them from August 2017 are still going like they’re brand new.  No color shifting, No failures.  I’m quite pleased.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 11:56:18 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Back in 2017, my hometown of Eatonville, WA went LED. I was shocked when they decided to do it because it's the gateway to Mt. Rainier, and typically those type of towns usually are forgotten when it comes to LEDs. They used Leotek Green Cobras and a few AEL ATB0s and ATB2s that replaced:
T&B 113s
AEL 115s
Cooper OVHs
GE M-250R2s
GE M-400A1s
GE M-400Rs (2nd generation)
GE M-250A2s
Funny thing is that the OVHs were made by Eaton Lighting. They were installed in Eatonville!  :lol:

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 07:28:28 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
My town is still HPS! I hope it can stay that way. :hps: :hpscobra:

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #23 on: March 28, 2021, 05:21:07 PM » Author: M250R201SA
My city is 100% HPS, well maintained.  Towns should ask the residents if they like the existing sodium and mercury lamps before just destroying everything for LEDs. Hopefully they at least use the same good quality AELs instead of getting crap like Leoteks.

My town is full of Leoteks, and we haven’t had one single failure.  What evidence do you have to base your comment on? 

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #24 on: March 28, 2021, 05:51:37 PM » Author: High Intensity
My town is full of Leoteks, and we haven’t had one single failure.  What evidence do you have to base your comment on?
My town is also full of Leoteks, and a few have failed, and all the ones that haven't failed are starting to turn yellow.
Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #25 on: March 28, 2021, 07:18:39 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
My town is also full of Leoteks, and a few have failed, and all the ones that haven't failed are starting to turn yellow.

Like anything else, there are good and bad batches of things. The yellowed Leoteks likely have been there in service for a while :led2:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #26 on: March 28, 2021, 07:54:51 PM » Author: High Intensity
They've been in service for roughly 5 or 6 years, one odd thing I've noticed is that the Leotek streetlights in different parts of town have deteriorated at different rates (some are far yellower than others, while some don't look bad at all). That leads me to believe the deterioration varies from batch to batch.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 08:00:27 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
They've been in service for roughly 5 or 6 years, one odd thing I've noticed is that the Leotek streetlights in different parts of town have deteriorated at different rates (some are far yellower than others, while some don't look bad at all). That leads me to believe the deterioration varies from batch to batch.
There’s always going to be a defective fixture(s), that’s the good thing about warranties. Those companies with 10yr warranties are really setting themselves up for something bad, when some go bad in 8 years or so they’ll have to be replaced and when even more fail before the 10yr mark, the warranty would have to cover those too. This would eventually make the companies lose money, GE and AEL have 5yr warranties which is a smarter idea.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: And so it starts....😡 « Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 12:57:21 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
There’s always going to be a defective fixture(s), that’s the good thing about warranties. Those companies with 10yr warranties are really setting themselves up for something bad, when some go bad in 8 years or so they’ll have to be replaced and when even more fail before the 10yr mark, the warranty would have to cover those too. This would eventually make the companies lose money, GE and AEL have 5yr warranties which is a smarter idea.

It makes absolutely no business sense to implement a warranty for something that you do not know how long it is going to last. The companys plan would be either figuring on going bankrupt or having enough money put aside to cover the worst that could happen. Maybe there is product insurance for things like this, I do not know. Keep in mind that the warranties the manufacturers have are pro-rated over a given number of years. So after eight years, for instance (on a 10 year warranty) you are going to get only 20 percent as either a refund or that amount applied toward a new fixture.

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies