Author Topic: The reliability of the starter cutout of Philips SON 70W that made in China  (Read 1325 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

The reliability of the starter cutout of Philips SON 70W that made in China « on: August 11, 2017, 05:36:59 AM » Author: dor123
Until the last year, every Philips SON 70W that I've encountered that doing cycles, had their starter cutout closing after 4:30 average. In the recent times, I had three cases where Philips SON 70W that took ages to close their starter cutouts and restrike.
These case were:
1. A cycling lamp inside a globe lantern at the playground near my hostel, that took 8:20 mins to restrike while capturing it.
2. A lamp inside an AEG Minikoffer at a pavement between the streets Moshe Sharett and Ben-Zvi, that went out due to a small power dip and took 10:12 mins to restrike while capturing it.
3. A lamp inside a globe lantern at the playground near my hostel, that went out due to a small power dip and took ~7 mins to restrike while capturing it.
From the third case, where the lamp was completely visible (Globe was clear and without reflectors around the lamp), and where the event occured during trying to photographing it and its etch, I've reached conclusion, that all of the following three cases of very long hot restrike periods with Philips SON 70W, involved chinese made lamps, while all of the cases of Philips SON 70W restriking after 3-4:30 mins, involved Belgium made lamps, so I think it have to do with the crap reliability of the starter cutouts in the chinese lamps.

Are anyone others have also bad experience of chinese Philips internal ignitor HPS lamps taking ages to restrike?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: The reliability of the starter cutout of Philips SON 70W that made in China « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:53:21 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i've never really measured the time to be honest...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reliability of the starter cutout of Philips SON 70W that made in China « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:01:49 AM » Author: dor123
The Philips in your country and the Philips that made the SON 70W are two different companies, so quality of the lamps may vary. I'm discovered that China made 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps of Philips lighting Europe for 220-240V 50hz chokes, that are made in China, takes forever to restrike, compared to the Belgium ones, that restrike after 4:30 mins average.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reliability of the starter cutout of Philips SON 70W that made in China « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:19:21 PM » Author: Ash
SON E/I lamps are not meant to be fast restriking. They are intended to be a cheap reliable lamp, and they do well on both accounts. For fast restriking use a SON T lamp
Lampenfreak

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reliability of the starter cutout of Philips SON 70W that made in China « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 06:51:07 AM » Author: Lampenfreak
Another problem is that those Chinese made lamps won't last long in enclosed fixture. My friend uses some SON-H retrofits where the contacts of the glow throttle melts together over a few hours usage. Maybe it is the same problem there and wouldn't be that long in an opened fixture.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reliability of the starter cutout of Philips SON 70W that made in China « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 07:32:37 AM » Author: dor123
HID lamps aren't sensitive so much to working temperatures in enclosed and open fixtures, like CFLs and LED lamps do. Also, HPS lamps usually have vaccum filled outerbulbs to provide thermal isolation. So I think it is matter of luck that the starter of your SON-H in your open fixture survived longer than the one in your enclosed fixture. Here, most Chinese Philips SON 70W, begins to cycles before the starter get stuck. The only problem is their starter cutouts takes ages to close.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies