Author Topic: Engineering License?  (Read 9874 times)
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 201SA + M250R2: Discontinued! « Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:18 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
This post can/should probably be deleted anyways. Today I confirmed that the M250R2 is in fact not discontinued. Y'all need to stop posting stuff like this without verifying your information. Stop spreading rumors. You guys know who you are.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 08:32:35 PM » Author: wattMaster
I edited my original post, and changed the thread's title.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 201SA + M250R2: Discontinued! « Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 09:04:28 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Before that I want to get a Type II 100w PSMH cooper NEMA. I created a graybar account for reasons unrelated to lighting (networking equipment) and so I might try to find out if they were being truthful about the engineering license.

Good luck with this. I have tried ordering Cooper Streetworks products from a few different distributors in the past. I was told that the Streetworks products are only available to electric utilities. They offered to quote me the equivalent fixture under the Cooper Lumark brand. I was trying to order a Streetworks OVH, so they quoted me the Lumark RC. It was severely overpriced. If I remember correctly it was just over $400. Unfortunately Lumark doesn't have a NEMA, in fact they no longer offer any HID roadway fixtures under that brand. Only Streetworks. If you find the right place you may be able to order Streetworks. Just giving you a heads up since I already tried this before.
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: 201SA + M250R2: Discontinued! « Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 10:56:35 PM » Author: Lodge
The city wanted a license because they only want professional contractors to have these lights.

Are they selling it to you at the Cities price ? They do get volume discounts...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 201SA + M250R2: Discontinued! « Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 06:18:56 AM » Author: Ash
The city wanted a license because they only want professional contractors to have these lights.
They may want or not want to sell it to you because they like or dont like your Red hair. If you are buying it from them its their choice, the rest is a cover story to not get caught on any sort of discrimination or so. There is no grounds to "wanting professional contractors to have these lights". Lights are not any sort of restricted substance
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 201SA + M250R2: Discontinued! « Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 02:06:59 PM » Author: Lodge
They may want or not want to sell it to you because they like or dont like your Red hair. If you are buying it from them its their choice, the rest is a cover story to not get caught on any sort of discrimination or so. There is no grounds to "wanting professional contractors to have these lights". Lights are not any sort of restricted substance

But selling it to you at the cities pricing might be restricted, because the city more then likely has a deal with AEL and most cities will allow you to buy the same lighting they use at a reduced cost so they have the same look as the city, so they don't stick out, but most cities also want them to be installed correctly, so you have to know about lighting supports, wiring, disconnects, breakaways, shear plates, earthworks, steel piles, conduits, wiring connections, fusing, lighting distribution, grounding, poles, anchor bolts,  control box mountings, control box configurations, basically you need to know how the city would install everything, they don't just want it lag bolted to a 4x4 stuck a few feet in the dirt, to get there deal, and the city I'm in, if you meet the conditions they will call the suppler and tell them you get there price on all the parts including wire...It's not just because they want to kick a red head, there money is the same color to a corporation, they actually sound like they are trying to get him a deal....   
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 02:48:23 PM » Author: Ash
Most cities also want them to be installed correctly, so you have to know about lighting supports, wiring, disconnects, breakaways, shear plates, earthworks, steel piles, conduits, wiring connections, fusing, lighting distribution, grounding, poles, anchor bolts,  control box mountings, control box configurations
Thats what electrical and building codes are for, there is no need in any sort of games about the discount price of the lights
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:38 PM » Author: Lodge
Thats what electrical and building codes are for, there is no need in any sort of games about the discount price of the lights

Codes are good but they want to make sure they are followed and make sure the light will not fall over because of vibration, liquefaction, frost heaving, other ground movements, yet they also want to make sure they will shear when impacted by a car, so they more then likely want an engineer to sign off that it's going to be installed to there standards, really the inspector is not going to dig to twelve feet to make sure the piling is 12 foot deep and then X-ray it to make sure you installed two nuts with a washer between them three feet in the piling and that the mounting bolts have the required elongation requirements before failing, they leave that up to the engineer that signs on the line saying it's up to specs outlaid in the codes, knowing that the engineer doesn't want to lose there accreditation, and that they have legal recourse if they find out it didn't meet codes later, even decades later..

And most wholesalers will try and get you a deal it's good of there business, they know the type of customer that will be back, and if they get someone who is young buying stuff from them it will only grow from there, so they end up making more money in the long term, most people who go to a store like that aren't looking for single A-19 60 Watt GLS because the light in the bathroom burnt out they go to a big box store people that go there might only buy one light now but they will be back for more if they are treated right, I've seen lots of small contractors buying single items at a wholesaler, but over the years those single items add up to thousands..       
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 04:11:10 PM » Author: Ash
And how this prevents the user from shopping for the lantern elsewhere and buying it (or a different lantern, maybe not as good one, that will glare more etc) without any engineering license ?

I have a wholesaler like that. It started with something small i looked for a few years back, now i buy there everything for my electric works

For one, while most other places stock mostly low or medium quality stuff, this one have often the good stuff and often even selection of few types of the good stuff

Then they let me have discounts, let me go in the warehouse (which is "staff only") to choose my stuff myself or just look what is available, and so on

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 05:23:12 PM » Author: wattMaster
The reason that the city wanted a license was because the lights I was trying to order were "heavier duty" and are only used on roadways.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 04:54:41 AM » Author: Ash
How is that a reason for needing a license ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 09:54:43 AM » Author: wattMaster
How is that a reason for needing a license ?
I don't know, that was the only reason they gave.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 02:54:14 PM » Author: Ash
Does this seem logical ?

"This is a PRO light you need to be a PRO to use it. Otherwise go get a yardblaster"

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Engineering License? « Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 12:46:17 AM » Author: Silverliner
Here's proof the M250R2 and SA201 are not being discontinued: http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/images/HID-Availability-Clarification-Letter.pdf

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Engineering License? « Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 08:33:28 PM » Author: Keyless
Any idea where AEL stands? Good to know that these classics will be available for at least a little while longer.

Also, the thing the supply guys are pulling off makes me angry. But in all honesty I bet its a trick to get you out of there thinking you are joe DIY. Some places have unwritten rules where they try and deter DIYs for a variety of reasons- including the fact a lot Sunday warriors are clueless when it comes to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, ect breaking said product in the process, then asking for a full refund. (Ie, buys a GFCI, miss-wires it causing it to fry, and then thinks he was sold a defective product.) Unlike Home Depot where returns usually end up right back on the shelf awaiting a victim, supply houses can not afford selling returned items to licensed professionals because their job reputation depends on it. They have to either throw away boat loads of returns, or deny it all together which would drive contractors away.     

But that is still not an excuse to blow you off like that. I know you are legit and not joe DIY- so I would put up a fight with the supply house. Explain you buy this stuff frequently too. They stand to make good money off you.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:55:29 PM by Keyless » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies