Author Topic: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp  (Read 1442 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « on: September 08, 2017, 07:09:21 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Basically how would different vacuum pressures affect incandescent lamps? Is there such thing as high and low pressure incandescent lamps? Does it affect efficacy in any way or does it not matter to a filament?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:50:30 AM » Author: Ash
High pressure - slows down filament evaporation

High pressure - higher thermal losses, but at the same time enables to drive the filament harder so more efficiently

Hig pressure - higher breakdown voltage (to prevent arcing during lamp life)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:16:43 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
High pressure - slows down filament evaporation

High pressure - higher thermal losses, but at the same time enables to drive the filament harder so more efficiently

Hig pressure - higher breakdown voltage (to prevent arcing during lamp life)
are halogens high pressure lamps?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:21:19 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Also if the pressure slows down the evaporation of tungsten is there a point where it could prevent it period?

~Owen

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:28:09 AM » Author: dor123
Halogen lamps were initially high pressure of the halogen (10 bar), but owing to the explosive EOL of these lamps in these conditions, mains voltage halogen lamps, have a lower pressure of the halogen (2 bar). which reduces the likelihood of explosion at EOL, at the cost of lower efficiency.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:58:31 AM » Author: Medved
Also if the pressure slows down the evaporation of tungsten is there a point where it could prevent it period?

Generally no pressure could ever stop the evaporation, period. To any temperature correspond certain equilibrium in partial tungsten gas pressure (the amount of evaporated atoms is cancelled out by the amount of atoms sticking back), but in any liquid environment a diffusion will happen, causing the gas to spread around. It is the speed of this diffusion, what is slowed down by the presence of the gas fill (when the gas diffuses out slowly, around the filament remains relatively high tungsten pressure, so the net evaporation is slower). But any gas or even liquid fill may just slow down the diffusion, but it is never able to stop it completely.
So it will just always evaporate, the matter of the gas fill is just how fast.
And in case of a chemically active atmosphere (e.g. halogens) there could happen some mechanism moving the tungsten back onto the filament (e.g. halogen cycle, chemically dissolving the tungsten from colder places and bringing it to the hotter filament), so it is cancelling out the evaporation. But then usually the same effect is attacking the colder filament parts, or the filament fails due to local electromigration and cracks.

No more selfballasted c***

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 02:14:54 AM » Author: Lodge
It's pretty much impossible to make a filament that will last forever, and have a decent efficiency, and realistic costs, so it's a balancing act by the manufacture they aim for a good life span, cheap and about the best efficiency you can realistically get from a tungsten lamp, and it's much easier to reduce tungeten evaportation by just using a dimmer switch and starting the lamp dimmed and increasing the power level but limiting it below it's full ratings, while you get a dimmer, more orange light, the bulb will last a very long time, but don't use Halogens dimmed for long periods of time they will blacken and then you need to run them at full power for hours to clean them up..   
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: atmospheric pressure incandescent lamp « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:17:48 PM » Author: Ash
There used to be some fairly recent (2000's) advancement in the area, iirc they managed to make ~40 Lm/W Incandescent with decent life by making some sort of flat filament. I dont recall the detail though
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies