Author Topic: Plant light, MH or MV?  (Read 1718 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Plant light, MH or MV? « on: September 15, 2017, 11:11:19 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I have an Araucaria heterophylla as houseplant and I was thinking installing some sort of plant light since winter is long and dark here. I have understood this particular plant does not require huge amount of light and main focus is just help it do better in winter.

I have to options.

1 - Osram floraset and 80w hql-r. I have only two used lamps, other one little dimmed out and otherone has problem of strong mains frequency flashing. I have one new but it's for collection. Has these lamps been banned or are these exception?

2 - MH spotligh with 70w cdm-t 830. Plus side is that lamps are available and easy to find. Colour is much nicer and uses less energy than hql-r.

Which one would be spectral wise better for the plant? Floraset would be easier to mount but MH spot would have better colour.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 11:45:40 AM » Author: wattMaster
I would use the MH, because MV is famously bad at letting plants glow.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:19:48 PM » Author: Lodge
Norfolk Island pine is a light loving tree, place it in full sunlight as much as possible, and use the metal halide during darker periods, Mercury isn't the best lighting for it.. 
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:55:38 AM » Author: tolivac
Use the MH lamp-they are closer to sunlight than other light sources.Pro growers use them for growth-then use HPS for budding and flowers.Some growers use BOTH!
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:49:03 AM » Author: dor123
I have an Araucaria heterophylla as houseplant and I was thinking installing some sort of plant light since winter is long and dark here. I have understood this particular plant does not require huge amount of light and main focus is just help it do better in winter.

I have to options.

1 - Osram floraset and 80w hql-r. I have only two used lamps, other one little dimmed out and otherone has problem of strong mains frequency flashing. I have one new but it's for collection. Has these lamps been banned or are these exception?

2 - MH spotligh with 70w cdm-t 830. Plus side is that lamps are available and easy to find. Colour is much nicer and uses less energy than hql-r.

Which one would be spectral wise better for the plant? Floraset would be easier to mount but MH spot would have better colour.
The Osram Floraset fixture with the Osram HQL-R Deluxe 80W, was very popular for plant growing in public spaces here. Of course, the Philips CDM-T 70W/830 lamp would do a better job than the HQL-R Deluxe 80W, as it richer in red and produces stronger light.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:48:43 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Alright, thanks for the advices. Here is the end result. This particular plant locates here in the winter time. Fixture is Lival MH spotlight with 70w Philips CDM-T 830 lamp and magnetic ballast. Now I just need a neater extension cord and a timer. This particular spotlight is very good since it has narrow beamwide so it lights only what is needed.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 07:46:17 PM » Author: Lodge
Looks good, the tree will be happy in no time..
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 12:32:17 AM » Author: tolivac
The spotlight looks nice-yes-the plant will love it!-along with the humans.I use ceramic metal halide plant lights for reg lighting-love the warm white color-3100K.
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: Plant light, MH or MV? « Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:00:15 AM » Author: RyanKorponay12
100% MH

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies