Author Topic: L.E.D Technology  (Read 3043 times)
Nineaclock

View Posts
View Gallery

L.E.D Technology « on: July 08, 2008, 03:45:46 PM » Author: Nineaclock
I just brought some new L.E.D floods for my back yard and a handful for my regular house hold lights so far they have been doing great :). I brought about 4 E27-W8 White LED bulb, but at a price :(. the floods have 8 L.E.D each 1 Watt.The draw back towards the lights, they are expensive to buy not cheap, and they to not put out as much light as a regular CLF or Incandescent light. How ever LED only produce 100 lm/w , Considering it only has a 13 percent Over all Gain in luminous efficiency. Which will improve in the future :). I also just made a LED strip bar for my under cabinet lights. Iv got a cool site that I brought all this stuff off of, http://www.superbrightleds.com/index.htm 

What do you guys think of the L.E.D for house hold use?
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: L.E.D Technology « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:49:20 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I do not think it will work out, one of my friends was watching one of those in display in a Lowes store, and I have seen some myself, the white lumen deprecation is worse than MV as I can see so far HOWEVER lower wattage, lumen deprecation.....that helps....but still....expensive and does not really last long because it gets dimmer and dimmer........so right now as of today, they are not ready at all. And I am looking forward to the General Electric HEI lamps!

Another thing...colored LEDs are perfect to me (perhaps except for blue that has some issues)

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: L.E.D Technology « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:46:30 PM » Author: FGS
My laptop power LED is blue as is the HDD one. The power LED is used the most and it has suffered a serious color loss and lumen depreciation. The HDD is deep blue while the Power is a dim sky blue. (Different shade.) White LEDs is a blue LED die with a phosphor over it. (The yellow stuff inside the LED cup.)

I wonder what the HEI from GE will look like.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Nineaclock

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.E.D Technology « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:39:31 PM » Author: Nineaclock
Since iv been playing with L.E.D iv never seen them dem. They flicker before there dead. The composition and condition of the semiconducting material used to create the light is how you get a good L.E.D or a bad one, Some come with crappy doped InGaN/SiC Phosphors. At 3.0 Volts they work awsome :)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: L.E.D Technology « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:41:31 AM » Author: Silverliner
Actually the ones I saw at lowes are overdriven to look good to customers, so the phosphors and chips cook up and go dim. Go figure. As for LEDs taking over, some industry insiders don't think LEDs are as much as they're hyped for, others with an overly optimistic outlook think LEDs will wipe out everything that was developed in the last century and a quarter. I believe LEDs are good for specialized applications, but for general lighting I have a hard time imagining they'd take over everything. Who knows tho...

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.E.D Technology « Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:34:16 PM » Author: don93s
The classic LEDs probably never dim because they are run at such a low power. And as Dave said, the newer ones are over-driven to get the high light levels which wear out the added phosphors and whatever else inside there.
Nineaclock

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: L.E.D Technology « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:36:04 PM » Author: Nineaclock
Actually the ones I saw at lowes are overdriven to look good to customers, so the phosphors and chips cook up and go dim. Go figure. As for LEDs taking over, some industry insiders don't think LEDs are as much as they're hyped for, others with an overly optimistic outlook think LEDs will wipe out everything that was developed in the last century and a quarter. I believe LEDs are good for specialized applications, but for general lighting I have a hard time imagining they'd take over everything. Who knows tho...

I totally agree, Even with a 100 lm/w , Considering it only has a 13 percent Over all Gain in luminous efficiency, They are just not bright enough for me,:(. The brightest L.E.D I found that I could buy, were 8 1 Watt L.E.D, and there still only pumping out at around 450 Lm. Special Application are just perfect for L.E.D since there so directional light. But with new Laser Technology break threw, considering Laser T.Vs, I hope that somebody will create a Laser Flood light, or something along the lines like that. CFL for house hold, and Incandescent light are great. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies