Author Topic: Depressurizing a Xenon Short arc tube  (Read 1854 times)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Depressurizing a Xenon Short arc tube « on: October 14, 2017, 02:39:05 AM » Author: Lodge
Just wondering if any one has actually depressurized a Xenon short arc tube to turn it into a safe to handle display tube, and how you did it safely, now I have another crazy idea, unless someone knows a safer or easier way to do this, how about cooling the lamp with liquid nitrogen and in effect allowing it to freeze the xenon gas since the boiling point of nitrogen is -195°C and xenon freezes at -111°C, so the xenon would be frozen and the tube would be at zero PSI, when a diamond drill puts a small hole in the fill tube allowing the xenon gas to escape as the tube warms and it starts to boil off at -108°C...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Depressurizing a Xenon Short arc tube « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 02:43:58 AM » Author: Ash
Assuming the lamp would not blow up from thermal shock before it cooled to -111C
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Depressurizing a Xenon Short arc tube « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:51:24 AM » Author: Lodge
Assuming the lamp would not blow up from thermal shock before it cooled to -111C

I was just thinking about that, but I figure if it goes in the freezer to -30°C and then alcohol at the same temp and add some dry ice to the mix to drop it to about -80°C and then drop it with a rope into the nitrogen allowing it to gradually cool in stages the thermal shock shouldn't be to bad, and if it's tied to to rope I can stand back several feet should anything not go as planned I'll be ok..
elek

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Depressurizing a Xenon Short arc tube « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 02:24:41 PM » Author: elek
Quartz can withstand being thrown into the water while red hot, I tested it several times, talk to Rigo, he has practice in degassing XBO lamp.
d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginerding bright things since 2011

ATL TheSOXMania
Re: Depressurizing a Xenon Short arc tube « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 12:15:03 PM » Author: d3anio97
quartz is quite resistant to thermal shock. just fill a tub with some alcohol and then drop in some dry ice or LN2. that should hopefully be enough to lower the internal pressure to allow you to depressurize the lamp.

What if I told you you could save 100% of your street lighting budget? Don't believe me? Buy an LED street light and run it for a week. the results will leave you in awe. (Aaaaaaand maybe wondering why you swapped that 70w SON)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies