Author Topic: Love this thing...  (Read 3895 times)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 10:06:39 AM » Author: takemorepills
Even a high-end early solid state amp with a decent turntable sounds better than most things made these days.

My Pioneer SX-1050 (1976, weighs about 58 pounds), Technics turntable and HPM-100 speakers sounds far better than any modern stuff I have ever heard, and we do buy the nicer modern stuff, we just bought an Onkyo Home Theater receiver last year for the movie room. Had to do it to manage all of the HDMI sources and decode sound processing correctly. If I want to listen to music, we only use the SX-1050 though, there is NO comparison!
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 06:37:56 PM » Author: Lodge
Yes there is something to be said about large all copper transformers and large capacitors and rows of power transistors, all the new stuff is driven to the max and uses tiny IC's with bare minimum filtering really it is junk...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 07:34:11 PM » Author: Ash
I made amplifiers based on TDA200x ICs, as long as you dont overload them the sound is okay
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 09:13:30 PM » Author: Lodge
I made amplifiers based on TDA200x ICs, as long as you dont overload them the sound is okay

Most amplifiers will sound OK if you don't overload them, and the TDA200X will run off 12 volts because they are made for car audio setups which is handy, but if you go with a higher voltages like ±60 VDC you can drive just about any speaker around without clipping and burning out the tweeters, and you can do this with cheap transistors like the MJE2955 and MJE3055 without much effort, and when you need more watts you just add more transistors and a balancing resistor they are under a $1 each.. but most common name brands like to use this STK line up which are good until you turn up the volume, and I have always liked the LM3886 amps but they are the same, about the only amplifier module I've found to take the abuse and keep on working is the LM12CLK but they are an expensive servo driver and a pain to work with because they are a 4 pin TO-3 case, so you have to drill everything every time,  but I guess after playing with KT88's and 6L6-GC's you do get spoiled and learn how a good amp should behave when driven to the max and if they aren't fluorescing a soft blue they can go louder...
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Love this thing... « Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 10:34:22 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Most amplifiers will sound OK if you don't overload them, and the TDA200X will run off 12 volts because they are made for car audio setups which is handy, but if you go with a higher voltages like ±60 VDC you can drive just about any speaker around without clipping and burning out the tweeters, and you can do this with cheap transistors like the MJE2955 and MJE3055 without much effort, and when you need more watts you just add more transistors and a balancing resistor they are under a $1 each.. but most common name brands like to use this STK line up which are good until you turn up the volume, and I have always liked the LM3886 amps but they are the same, about the only amplifier module I've found to take the abuse and keep on working is the LM12CLK but they are an expensive servo driver and a pain to work with because they are a 4 pin TO-3 case, so you have to drill everything every time,  but I guess after playing with KT88's and 6L6-GC's you do get spoiled and learn how a good amp should behave when driven to the max and if they aren't fluorescing a soft blue they can go louder...

Never dealt with the LM3886, I've built amps out of LM386 IC's, TDA2004 and a type A transistor amp of a SN3014...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 11:20:27 PM » Author: Lodge
Never dealt with the LM3886, I've built amps out of LM386 IC's, TDA2004 and a type A transistor amp of a SN3014...

It's an all in one 68 W Class D amplifier with built in protections you only need a handful of parts to make it work and a good power supply and a heatsink, but they are fast and easy to build with..

http://www.ti.com/product/LM3886

It will make that Cassette player a whole lot louder for only a few bucks and with the built in protections they are basically indestructible but the SPiKe protection is what makes them sound horrible when running them at near full load, it's a nice idea, and I do understand why they use it,  but I like to be able to turn it up and when there is an explosion in a movie I expect to be able to hear the high ends at the same time as the low frequencies which are sucking down all the power and activating the protections but for learning on and playing with they are nice units...

(and I don't know if TI offers product samples but when they where a National Semiconductor product they would give you three for free as product samples without so much as a question other then your mailing address ) 
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 01:02:35 AM » Author: tolivac
On amps---the best for me are TUBED amps--SS just DOESN'T compare !!!!Was using McIntosh MC60 monoblocks connected to a Dynaco PAS 3 preamp.The caps went in the MC60's having a hard time finding replacements-Transistors just can't match a pair of KT-88 or 6550 tubes!When I can get some replacement filter caps for the MC60's will put them back into service!
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Love this thing... « Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 06:24:26 PM » Author: nicksfans
It's nice to know that there are other audio enthusiasts on here! I have a modest collection of vintage gear myself, and around 400 LPs. Some of my favorite pieces from my collection are a Fisher 210-T solid state receiver from ~1969-70 and a pair of Wharfedale W70D speakers from around the same time, found at the same ReStore at different times, and costing less than $100 combined. As far as tube stuff goes, I have a 2x8W tube amp built from a kit and a late 40s Truetone AM/FM tube radio with a built-in turntable that appears to only play 78s. I'd LOVE to find a vintage Fisher tube receiver but I currently don't feel like paying what they commonly go for.

This could turn into a whole other thread... ;D

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Love this thing... « Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 12:12:09 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
MY 3 FOOT TALL GIRLFRIEND WHO'S FROM ICELAND, BOLNDE, AND GOES ON LG WHEN I DO AND LIGHTS

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 01:04:12 PM » Author: Ash
On amps - I built my few based on TDA2002/2003/2006 chips, and speakers ripped out of a variety of stuff from TV's to building PA announcement systems. Overall they worked very well. Can get in emotion with music, anime and AMV's. Can get high on uplifting trance. No clipping, no Plasticky sound on beats, and no other obvious failures. That means ok quality for me - Dont care how it compares to higher end SS or valve stuff
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 07:54:14 PM » Author: Lodge
Ash, when you see a row of something like KT88 tubes start to fluoresce from electron bombardment of the glass and you hear the sounds coming from a pure class A amp you'll understand why people like tube amps they are pretty to look at as well as sound great, that doesn't mean those TDA amps are bad but there is nothing like tubes..

Just have a look, and no LED's where harmed in the production of this.. 

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Love this thing... « Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 09:15:54 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Ash, when you see a row of something like KT88 tubes start to fluoresce from electron bombardment of the glass and you hear the sounds coming from a pure class A amp you'll understand why people like tube amps they are pretty to look at as well as sound great, that doesn't mean those TDA amps are bad but there is nothing like tubes..

Just have a look, and no LED's where harmed in the production of this.. 

That is awesome.... also dont you mean No LED's were used?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 10:06:25 PM » Author: Lodge
If you don't use LED's they won't be harmed...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies