Author Topic: Love this thing...  (Read 3904 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Love this thing... « on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:22 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
IDK why, but this cassette player is probably one of my new favorite devices, despite seemingly low audio quality and temperamental volume dial it has a warm vibe to it... i used to have a stereo with a casette player in it, but it broke, i have a few cassettes laying around that i took from junkyard cars they all work suprisingly, I was happy to find a doobie brothers cassette out there out of all the things i couldof found, also found a styx cassette... but honestly not as fond of them as i am of doobie brothers.... also quite happy that the player is from radioshack... lol i miss radioshack.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:55:53 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:01:09 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
In my much younger years I loved making mix tapes out of various songs I like and using a similar cassette player with headphones to listen to them while I'm at the computer or reading a book. I feel so nostalgic now.

I have a box of cassettes somewhere still, I'll have to dig them out someday and take a photo. 8)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:14:46 AM » Author: Lodge
In my much younger years I loved making mix tapes out of various songs I like and using a similar cassette player with headphones to listen to them while I'm at the computer or reading a book. I feel so nostalgic now.

I have a box of cassettes somewhere still, I'll have to dig them out someday and take a photo. 8)

Your still young, if you got to use cassettes and not 8-tracks...
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:31:56 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Your still young, if you got to use cassettes and not 8-tracks...

Yep, never used 8 tracks ever in my life. I heard they have "4 different" sides or something to give 8 tracks in total.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:11:36 AM » Author: funkybulb
Ive been around when the old Reel to Reel player getting phase out.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 01:16:40 PM » Author: Rommie
Ive been around when the old Reel to Reel player getting phase out.

Hey, when I was an engineer on hospital radio in the 80's, we had all our jingles on reel-to-reel tape..! We had some lovely old Ferrograph Series 7 machines, plus a few Revox A77 and B77 machines  :)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Love this thing... « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 02:08:56 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've used reel to reel before at school, I've aslo delt with vinyl, but 8 tracks no, i however have encountered 8 track tapes on some of my ventures to abandoned sites, they usually end up being sappy bullshizz so i usually wrap them around trees and such, but if i find rock or country 8 tracks i would be sure to save them, i need more cassettes, i only got two, plus a recordable one. Out of all the old formats I've delt with cassettes have a nostalgic vibe not sure why.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:22:53 PM » Author: sol
I like cassettes as they are a quick way to make a recording without dealing with a computer. Sometimes I use them to make a quick copy of an LP so I can listen to it often without wearing it out. Finding quality blank cassettes is another matter, though.

Eight track cartridges were very common until the late 1990's in radio stations for all jingles, sound effects and advertisements. The reason they used cartridges is because there is a continuous loop of tape so once it ends, it is ready for the next time without having to rewind.

I use vinyl, cassettes, CD's and mp3/computer/digital regularly.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 12:12:11 PM » Author: takemorepills
I grew up during the height of the cassette format. When I got my first cars, I would actually sometimes have a CD player or a tape deck in them, didn't seem to matter much to me at the time. By the late 90's, only CD players from then on.

When I was a kid there were 8 track players in nearly everyone's car, they were all under-dash add-ons.

In the early 90's my Mom got a very nice component stereo system as a gift, separate AV receiver, turntable, CD player and tower speakers. The first music I ever bought was a vinyl LP, and the second I bought was a CD. Funny that the first I bought was vinyl because technically I'm not THAT old.

I remember the mix tapes. My grandfather was a jazz musician, and I have a big box full of demo cassettes. I also have an early 2000's Panasonic full-logic tape deck to play them. Which brings me to the problem with cassettes...... cassettes are very exposed to the wrath of time. The cassette itself will degrade, and if ever exposed to extreme heat or magnetism they are irreversibly damaged. Cassette players themselves are very intricate electro-mechanical devices with some rubber parts and some nylon/plastic parts that degrade over time. It is nearly impossible to restore an old cassette deck. I fear my Panasonic tape deck will eventually fail, and I won't get to hear my grandfathers tapes any more.

I have vintage stereo equipment that I restored a few years ago. I was able to restore 2 receivers and a turntable (because it is direct drive, no belts to deteriorate). The TEAC tape deck that I got with my vintage system, I have not been able to refurb. The specific belts are now cross-referenced, and any rubber rollers or the such are long gone by now. It is kind of sad.

The good news is that vinyl LP is far better than cassette and even more enjoyable than CD in some cases, and good turntables seem to run forever, parts are plentiful and the industry is still releasing new/old stuff on new vinyl. I even have some Skrillex LP's. I enjoy finding vintage LPs too. It is fun to show my 10 year old son's friends modern music playing from a turntable. The smartphones come out and everyone is videoing this odd contraption!
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 04:18:43 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I grew up during the height of the cassette format. When I got my first cars, I would actually sometimes have a CD player or a tape deck in them, didn't seem to matter much to me at the time. By the late 90's, only CD players from then on.

When I was a kid there were 8 track players in nearly everyone's car, they were all under-dash add-ons.

In the early 90's my Mom got a very nice component stereo system as a gift, separate AV receiver, turntable, CD player and tower speakers. The first music I ever bought was a vinyl LP, and the second I bought was a CD. Funny that the first I bought was vinyl because technically I'm not THAT old.

I remember the mix tapes. My grandfather was a jazz musician, and I have a big box full of demo cassettes. I also have an early 2000's Panasonic full-logic tape deck to play them. Which brings me to the problem with cassettes...... cassettes are very exposed to the wrath of time. The cassette itself will degrade, and if ever exposed to extreme heat or magnetism they are irreversibly damaged. Cassette players themselves are very intricate electro-mechanical devices with some rubber parts and some nylon/plastic parts that degrade over time. It is nearly impossible to restore an old cassette deck. I fear my Panasonic tape deck will eventually fail, and I won't get to hear my grandfathers tapes any more.

I have vintage stereo equipment that I restored a few years ago. I was able to restore 2 receivers and a turntable (because it is direct drive, no belts to deteriorate). The TEAC tape deck that I got with my vintage system, I have not been able to refurb. The specific belts are now cross-referenced, and any rubber rollers or the such are long gone by now. It is kind of sad.

The good news is that vinyl LP is far better than cassette and even more enjoyable than CD in some cases, and good turntables seem to run forever, parts are plentiful and the industry is still releasing new/old stuff on new vinyl. I even have some Skrillex LP's. I enjoy finding vintage LPs too. It is fun to show my 10 year old son's friends modern music playing from a turntable. The smartphones come out and everyone is videoing this odd contraption!
with the rise of 3D printers you may be able to repair your cassette decks luckily with newly printed parts... also cassettes seem to making somewhat of a comeback, they aren't predicted to be as popular as vinyl but they're coming back. eminim released a cassette aswell as prince, and the guardians of the galaxy cassette was also something that happend lol i think 8 tracks are truely dead though... i have not encountered a player for one of those things in a while... however you never know....

~Owen

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 06:01:10 PM » Author: takemorepills
Having experienced many formats, I don't see why cassette would come back. Not a good format IMO.

This topic just reminded me, I have a MiniDisc system with many discs at home. If I wanted re-writable media, why would cassette get the nod over MiniDisc? The "analog" sound of cassette is not charming like LP vinyl, it is quite a poor media for Hi-Fi.

Maybe some people are releasing stuff on cassette just to get attention?

Seriously, cassette is as dead as 8 track. It was more recent than 8 track, so more of it is still lingering around, but it's time is over. Sadly, so is the MiniDisc. The only analog format that can compete is LP vinyl.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:42:37 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i personally like the compactness of Cassettes over LP to be honest, and the sound is good enough for me... but yeah i dont know why people are bringing them back... i'm not complaining though... i hear they're cheaper than LP to produce so alot of artists like the idea of cassettes for an analog medium, and since there is alot of cassette decks lying around compared to the amount of record players it is more likely to get people interested over LP.

~Owen

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 08:12:32 PM » Author: sol
Well the compactness of the cassette has been superseded by the plethora of portable digital players out there.

For the first time ever, yesterday, I purchased brand new vinyl records in a bricks and mortar record store. Very satisfying, although a bit on the pricey side.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 08:52:35 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Well the compactness of the cassette has been superseded by the plethora of portable digital players out there.

For the first time ever, yesterday, I purchased brand new vinyl records in a bricks and mortar record store. Very satisfying, although a bit on the pricey side.

Well i did say "over LP" ofcourse they've been suceeded by the digital devices, however for analog formats that are still somewhat viable, i believe cassettes win in the compactness game, minidisc nolonger gets made and 8 tracks are bigger than cassettes, LP is way bigger and more fragile and reel to reel, is not compact in anyway... lmao i have like 3900 songs on my 30Gig MP3 player (thats OGG at 192kbs, MP3 at 320Kbs FLAC,M4A WMA and some MP2) it has an SD card slot with a 16gig microSD and 8 gigs internal..

~Owen

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Love this thing... « Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:19 PM » Author: Lodge
But if you take an LP with a high quality player and a class A tube amp there is not much that can beat it, in sound quality or looks...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies