Author Topic: 250W MV gear  (Read 2560 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
250W MV gear « on: November 04, 2017, 11:28:42 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So a while back a 250W mercury highbay i dragged home from outside blew up, the capacitor was bad... if memory serves me correctly it was a 13.5 MFD condenser, could i use a 13MFD Condenser as a temporary substitute? or will the lamp dislike it?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:39:27 AM » Author: Lodge
It will work so long as the voltage rating is higher or the same, but motor starting caps don't last anywhere near as long as a high quality lamp cap..

Do you have any other size light caps because you can combine them in series to reduce the value or in parallel to increase the value.. here is a simple calculator tool http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/series-parallel-capacitor-calculator.php

And if your good you can add a relay to a multi capacitor setup and add dimming to the light, or if your real good you can get multi-step dimming (with the correct ballast.)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:14:53 PM » Author: Ash
Dont use starting caps, but run caps would be fine. Use higher voltage caps, not only for the higher voltage, but also for the (implied) current rating (for the rated voltage at 60Hz)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:22:43 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
the capacitor I'm using came from a 250W HPS lowbay fixture i found at the junkyard, also thanks....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:06:46 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
it seems to run very dim, it actually runs better and WAY brighter on 175W gear which leads me to believe that i need to raise the MFD's a tad... maybe i was mistaken, perhaps it was a 16.5MFD Condenser rather than a 13.5MFD? love te yellowish white light this C lamp gives off...

~Owen

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 06:22:15 AM » Author: Ash
Measure it, some capacitors just degrade over time to useless capacitance values
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 06:29:21 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Don't have capacitance measuring equipment, can it be done with a multimeter??

~Owen

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 07:06:58 AM » Author: Ash
It can but very crudely. i dont know how far off the result would be...

Way 1 :

Measure the input impedance of the multimeter. This is done by measuring voltage of a known source (say stabilized 5V) through a resistor, and picking a resistor value such that the measurement shows 1/2 of the real voltage. For example, if you measure 5V through a 10meg resistor and the multimeter shows 2.5V, then the multimeter's impedance is 10meg as well. Most multimeters are between 1meg for the cheapo ones to 10meg for the good ones

Charge the capacitor to known voltage

Connect the multimeter to the capacitor and see how fast it discharges. Time the moment at which the voltage drops to some intermediate value. (this can be done by fiming it on video and analysing later on the computer in a video editor)

Ct [ sec ] = C [ F ] * Rmultimeter [ Ohm ]

Vcap (at time t) [ V ] = Vcap (initial) [ V ] / exp ( t [ sec ] / Ct [ sec ])

exp ( t [ sec ] / Ct [ sec ]) = Vcap (initial) / Vcap (at time t)

t / Ct = ln ( Vcap (initial) / Vcap (at time t) )

Ct = t / ln ( Vcap (initial) / Vcap (at time t) )

C = Ct / Rmultimeter

Way 2 :

Take another capacitor of known value of about the same capacity

The good one charged to known voltage, the one being under test discharged

Momentarily short them together, so some charge transfers to the bad one

Measure the remaining voltage on the good one

Initially :
Q [ Coulomb ] = Cgood [ F ] * Vinitial [ V ]

In the moment of shorting the capacitors :
Q [ Coulomb ] = ( Cgood + Cbad ) [ F ] * Vremaining [ V ]

Cgood * Vinitial = ( Cgood + Cbad ) * Vremaining

Cgood + Cbad = Cgood * Vinitial / Vremaining

Cbad = Cgood * ( Vinitial / Vremaining - 1 )

Bad capacitors also often have leakage, if there is leakage in your capacitor, that would at least screw the test results very badly
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:56:27 PM » Author: Lodge
A very simple test from the Advance pocket HID Ballast troubleshooting guide.. 

CAPACITOR CHECK
1. Disconnect capacitor from circuit.
2. Discharge capacitor by shorting between terminals.
3. Check capacitor with ohmmeter set at highest resistance scale:
If meter indicates a very low resistance which then gradually increases, the capacitor does not
require replacement.
If meter indicates a very high resistance which does not diminish, it is open and should be
replaced.
If meter indicates a very low resistance which does not increase, the capacitor is shorted and
should be replaced.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 11:24:55 PM » Author: Ash
None of the tests indicate reduced capacity, which is the main way how dry film caps EOL
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:07:14 AM » Author: Lodge
Ash, I didn't write it, I gave Advance the credit they wrote it in there pocket guide for HID ballast troubleshooting, and it's really just a simple test, but it does give you a good idea if the cap has failed...

But to simplify this process, short the cap leads then you charge the cap with 5 volts from say a USB charger, and then apply a 2.2K resistor across the leads to discharge the cap in 60 seconds the 16.5 mfd will be at just under 1 volt (0.96) across the terminals and the 13.5 will be about 0.66 volts across the leads.. if it's a large difference just let me know the voltage and I'll tell you the cap value, and check the cap to see if it has a self discharge (bleed) resistor already attached to it because this will affect the calculation.. 
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:30:05 AM » Author: Ash
No good idea at all. Most PFC caps that are a few years old will pass Advance's test fine, but they are at 1/2 their rated capacity or less..

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W MV gear « Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 01:40:57 PM » Author: Medved
The Advance test is really a hard-failure go-nogo test. It is true, quite before the "individually fused segments" selfhealing method, the capacitors failed very often that way. The "metalized paper plus oil" capacitors reduced their capacitance really only very tiny bit with each recovery, so before significant capacitance loss it way sooner ended up either as a short circuit, or a runaway reaction caused the capacitor to really go open circuit.
The problem comes with the modern plastic ones, using separate sections (in 100's pF till nF range), each having its own fuse in the metalization structure. There the repeated "recovery" just gradually reduces the capacitance, without tendencies of going hard short and/or runaways. So the result is, the capacitors are kept really till their capacitance drops significantly, without any hard failure.
And if a hard failure occurs, it uses to be such, the damage is plain visible without any electrical test at all...

What I would do is first do the "Advance" test, to screen out hard failures.
Then connect the capacitor in series with an incandescent lamp to 120V mains and measure voltages across the cap and the passing current.
From the current and the capacitor voltage you calculate the capacitor reactance (Xcapa = Vcapa/Icircuit)
so then the capacitance itself (you know your mains frequency; C = 1/(2*Pi*Freq*Xcapa) )

The bulb in series is necessary for a case, when the capacitor tends to go short circuit only above some voltage level (so such fault is not visible on the low Ohm-meter voltage). The power rating should correspond to the expected capacitor value.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies