Author Topic: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020  (Read 45782 times)
yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « on: November 11, 2017, 08:32:56 PM » Author: yuandrew
This was announced by lighting supplier, Atlanta Light Bulbs near the end of September.

https://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/blog/heads-up-philips-low-pressure-sodium-sox-bulbs-are-going-the-way-of-the-dodo/

Just came back from visiting Pala in North San Diego County this afternoon. The trip took us through Murrieta and Temecula which are also located in the light pollution controlled zone around Palomar observatory. I have not confirmed the announcement but if true, this would affect one of the largest Low Pressure Sodium installations in the region.
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:11:52 PM » Author: BlueHalide
It was only a matter of time, SOX has long disappeared from the area I live, the few remaining SOX fixtures I know of around Chicago are small installations under freeway overpasses, and those are quickly going LED. It will probably be awhile yet before companies begin to stop production of mercury vapor, but its a safe bet that theyre the next to go. I then suspect metal halide and HPS will likely follow a few decades later, the last remaining discharge lamps will likely be T8 and T5 fluorescent.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:05:27 AM » Author: funkybulb
It means it time to stock up while u can. once supplies dewindled  price for even vintage ones will shoot up
Like crazy.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 08:33:10 AM » Author: 589
I figured this was coming, but BOOOOOOOOO

Edit: [pages full of thumbs down emoji]

Edit2: RIP SOX, the most efficient commercially available environmentally friendly light source in existence that STILL has untapped potential for improvement in efficiency by using modern materials and manufacturing methods.

It would be difficult considering the heat insulation required, but I believe that induction low pressure sodium could have been a reality. Combine this with SOX-E insulation or better, the possibilities...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:44:42 AM by Andy Sodium » Logged

:lps:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:20:08 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Personally, I won't be missing sox. I hated how it made everything looking yellow and black.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 12:11:32 PM » Author: FGS
I figured this was coming, but BOOOOOOOOO

Edit: [pages full of thumbs down emoji]

Edit2: RIP SOX, the most efficient commercially available environmentally friendly light source in existence that STILL has untapped potential for improvement in efficiency by using modern materials and manufacturing methods.

It would be difficult considering the heat insulation required, but I believe that induction low pressure sodium could have been a reality. Combine this with SOX-E insulation or better, the possibilities...

Induction LPS?!?!? Now I wanna see something like that! :o

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 01:46:28 PM » Author: yuandrew
Induction LPS?!?!? Now I wanna see something like that! :o

Philips had a patent in 1992 for such a lamp but I don't know if any prototypes were ever made.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5336971
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 02:34:38 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
someone around here should maybe design one of these.... imagine how efficient it would be, it'd probably blast induction flourescent right out the window....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 03:25:06 PM » Author: 589
Wow! Nice find, I knew something like this was possible because of how similar SOX is to fluorescent in its operating needs ballast wise.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 05:00:51 PM » Author: Ash
If we join hands, we could possibly try saving the production equipment instead of any number of lamps
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:12 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
If we join hands, we could possibly try saving the production equipment instead of any number of lamps
I like the idea.. but would the company even allow it? i though philips was trying to kill off LPS.... perhaps not though and it may have just became less profitable to them... what would be required for such a task???

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 08:53:32 PM » Author: Lodge
I like the idea.. but would the company even allow it? i though philips was trying to kill off LPS.... perhaps not though and it may have just became less profitable to them... what would be required for such a task???

They haven't been maintaining there patents or trade names so they might not care, because maintaining those really doesn't cost that much so most of there intellectual properties are up for grabs right now...

And induction SOX lamps would be awesome and getting rid of the electrodes would make then last so much longer.. 

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 09:26:41 PM » Author: 589
And induction SOX lamps would be awesome and getting rid of the electrodes would make then last so much longer.. 

You got that right!

I would LOVE to tour the manufacturing facility and if I could shoot a bit of a documentary of how SOX lamps are made for posterity before they stop making them. If not me, at least somebody. I'm guessing they're still mainly manufactured in the UK by philips?

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 11:00:58 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Man that sucks, I better stock up too

Administrator #5

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 11:45:35 PM » Author: Lodge
You got that right!

I would LOVE to tour the manufacturing facility and if I could shoot a bit of a documentary of how SOX lamps are made for posterity before they stop making them. If not me, at least somebody. I'm guessing they're still mainly manufactured in the UK by philips?

I think the only place they are made currently is by Philips Lighting at Hamilton in Scotland, there was some posts about China also making them and the company was called SNAPFAST website :>  http://www.visionillumination.com/products/lps-s-plus/ but I don't know anything about them or if they are going to drop them, or if they are competitive price wise / lifespan as they only seem to be available in the UK and there is nothing on Ebay or other websites like that selling anything by Snapfast / Vision..
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies