Author Topic: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020  (Read 45804 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 04:20:12 AM » Author: Medved
The main reason for going away from SOX is, no one is buying them anymore in quantities and for a prices ensuring profitability of that business. The market is just plains shrinking way too much.
And don't expect your production to be viable either: The machinery needs quite some fixed expenses to keep in working condition (part of that is just the production floor space, so even when the machinery itself would be for free), so you need certain production volume to be really sold to customers, otherwise the products would have to be really crazy expensive.
With that, I don't think Philips will ever care, I guess they will happily sell you the factory for a scrap metal price, but then you will be responsible for paying all the related running bills...

No more selfballasted c***

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 05:40:06 AM » Author: 589
Yea and it is my understanding that it's a pretty highly skilled trade as well. Sucks for the folks in that factory that may get laid off, it makes me sad to see manufacturing jobs leave places like the UK.

:lps:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 05:59:34 AM » Author: Lodge
Yea and it is my understanding that it's a pretty highly skilled trade as well. Sucks for the folks in that factory that may get laid off, it makes me sad to see manufacturing jobs leave places like the UK.

From my understanding the manufacture of a SOX is not fully machine made, so yes those people would be important and while I'm sure they make it look easy I bet they have a good number of years behind them to make it look easy, someone new will more then likely end up with lots of questionable tubes before producing a high quality product...
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:16 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
It would be interesting to see a video about lps manufacturing. I wonder has there ever been one?

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 09:42:10 AM » Author: Rommie
Personally, I won't be missing sox. I hated how it made everything looking yellow and black.

You are in a very small minority here, my friend  :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:10 AM » Author: Rommie
I think the only place they are made currently is by Philips Lighting at Hamilton in Scotland

Hamilton isn't all that far from here, maybe a couple of hours or so given good roads. I would love to tour the place, anyone know if it could be done..? Anyone got any inside contacts..?  :)

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 10:02:51 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Hamilton isn't all that far from here, maybe a couple of hours or so given good roads. I would love to tour the place, anyone know if it could be done..? Anyone got any inside contacts..?  :)
UK folks should really try to organize visit there. Like some wine drinkers tours vine yards lighting enthusiast should tour lamp factories. Someone should try to contact there and ask about it. Tell them that you are interested about lighting and maybe something like how major thing lps was on it's days and you would like to see the manufacturing before it's gone.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 10:52:47 AM » Author: Rommie
UK folks should really try to organize visit there. Like some wine drinkers tours vine yards lighting enthusiast should tour lamp factories. Someone should try to contact there and ask about it. Tell them that you are interested about lighting and maybe something like how major thing lps was on it's days and you would like to see the manufacturing before it's gone.

I agree, I wonder if someone such as James knows anyone there..? I'd be willing to make the initial contact.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 12:53:46 PM » Author: Lodge
I agree, I wonder if someone such as James knows anyone there..? I'd be willing to make the initial contact.

If someone like James has a contact that would be great, but if not I'd be willing to email the CEO of Philips (it won't be the first time) and ask him directly, now while I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to attend since it's on the other side of the planet from me I would love to see a video of them being made even if it is shot on a cell phone video camera and that would be enough for me to make a contact at Philips and attempt to make it happen... And if I have to ask the CEO, I'll ask for them to donate one of the last production lamps as well to someone like James so it can be preserved...   

While we are on the subject of LPS lamps and there disappearance I'll ask would anyone be willing to organize or a be interested in the idea of a group buy of SOX lamps or be willing to buy a few cheaper lights to horde away from a group buy? because to my understanding and as an example the 18 watt SOX lamps in quantity are only worth like $10 to $15 USD each, And while I'm not saying this will happen I just figured I'd post it and see if anyone is interested..  And I do see this idea happening on other sites dealing with lasers and such with a fair bit of good success..  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:57:08 PM by Lodge » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 03:33:53 PM » Author: Rommie
While we're on the subject of SOX lamps, another question has occurred to me.

Does anyone know why the normal domestic (for the UK, at least) 2-pin bayonet cap was adopted for the low pressure sodium lamp..?

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 04:07:44 PM » Author: nicksfans
I'm not surprised but I am saddened.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 05:10:48 PM » Author: Lumex120
To everyone wondering why some people (like me) dislike LEDs, let me just say that hearing news like this doesn't exactly help.

Unofficial LG Discord

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 06:40:12 PM » Author: FGS
To everyone wondering why some people (like me) dislike LEDs, let me just say that hearing news like this doesn't exactly help.

I don't think LEDs are at fault 100% in killing LPS. I remember looking up them in 2003~04. They were expensive then. They're still expensive now. And LEDs weren't really mainstream for general lighting in 2003~04 only flashlights.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 11:40:57 PM » Author: 589
If someone like James has a contact that would be great, but if not I'd be willing to email the CEO of Philips (it won't be the first time) and ask him directly, now while I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to attend since it's on the other side of the planet from me I would love to see a video of them being made even if it is shot on a cell phone video camera and that would be enough for me to make a contact at Philips and attempt to make it happen... And if I have to ask the CEO, I'll ask for them to donate one of the last production lamps as well to someone like James so it can be preserved...   

While we are on the subject of LPS lamps and there disappearance I'll ask would anyone be willing to organize or a be interested in the idea of a group buy of SOX lamps or be willing to buy a few cheaper lights to horde away from a group buy? because to my understanding and as an example the 18 watt SOX lamps in quantity are only worth like $10 to $15 USD each, And while I'm not saying this will happen I just figured I'd post it and see if anyone is interested..  And I do see this idea happening on other sites dealing with lasers and such with a fair bit of good success..  

I agree wholeheartedly. 

I also would definitely be interested in buying 10x 18w for that price, I run those. Same for 26/35w, I run all of them on fulhams! The higher wattages aren't as practical to run daily as not many fixtures fit them that I'd be willing to let them take the abuse of the hot southern climate and bugs. Plus 18w and 35w are plenty bright as they are for general d2d duty area lighting and easily retrofitted into a cheap bucket light with a Fulham ballast.

:lps:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips to discontinue production of SOX (Low Pressure Sodium) lamps in 2020 « Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:59 PM » Author: Ash
The main reason for going away from SOX is, no one is buying them anymore in quantities and for a prices ensuring profitability of that business. The market is just plains shrinking way too much.
And don't expect your production to be viable either: The machinery needs quite some fixed expenses to keep in working condition (part of that is just the production floor space, so even when the machinery itself would be for free), so you need certain production volume to be really sold to customers, otherwise the products would have to be really crazy expensive.
With that, I don't think Philips will ever care, I guess they will happily sell you the factory for a scrap metal price, but then you will be responsible for paying all the related running bills...

Members here are happily spending $ on snatching old lamps off Ebay. I think it may be entirely possible that they put some more money instead into buying the machinery and renting the floor space - It may not be all that much if shared between bigger number of people...

The profit from this may be negative, but such project would be about personal interest and not about profit
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies