Author Topic: Working on your car  (Read 19448 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:45 AM » Author: CEB1993
i believe it.
i probably got lucky with it considering what most people think of them, but my old 04 aveo (daewoo) has only ever required the periodic timing belt change, and the rear main seal done in the 172k it has on it now.  the 97 isuzu has only needed a timing belt and a thermostat, and a warranty replaced speedometer in the 200k it has currently.  its current odo says 135k but it has the paperwork where the other was replaced at ~ 72,5k.  the interior is surprisingly good considering that before it came to michigan it was first in arizona and then florida.  the paint shows sun damage but the interior plastic isnt all cracked to pieces like you would think it would be.

get that subaru, you wont be disappointed.

I really like the look of a Subaru Outback.  One of my friends has an Outback and they are really nice cars with lots of features.  We hauled a canoe up on the roof racks one time.  I'm interested in the 4WD capability since I'm going to graduate school up north where it snows a lot.  They are really reliable and have some of the best crash test results, too.  I'll be able to haul a lot more stuff and drive in the snow without any trouble  ;D

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Working on your car « Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:01:01 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I always had the image that Volkswagen was reliable. ??? That being said in Australia you wouldn't want to buy a European car of any make since the parts and servicing for them are so expensive. Japanese cars and Ford are much cheaper to purchase and maintain over here and have always stuck with them. You can find so many parts for Japanese cars at the scrapyard and you also see many roadworthy Toyotas, Nissans, Honda, Subaru, Mazdas etc over 20 years old still on the roads daily. It all comes down to preventative maintenance and regular servicing by the log book.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Working on your car « Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 09:00:15 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
what year Subaru and what size engine?  The 2.5L engines were very prone to head gasket leaks/failures up until recently so just keep that in mind.  Get the gasket replaced/repaired and it's a reasonably reliable engine.  Also be careful with models that have the early CVTs.  They got the bugs worked out of them mostly since then. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:58 PM » Author: CEB1993
what year Subaru and what size engine?  The 2.5L engines were very prone to head gasket leaks/failures up until recently so just keep that in mind.  Get the gasket replaced/repaired and it's a reasonably reliable engine.  Also be careful with models that have the early CVTs.  They got the bugs worked out of them mostly since then.  

Ideally I would get the V6 3.6L Boxer engine.  I want something with a little get up and go  ;D  However, my buddy has the 2.5L 4 cylinder Boxer engine in his Outback and he says it's plenty powerful.  I have heard that CVT transmissions are naturally jerky and and have rough shifts at low speeds.  I'm looking for something 2014 or newer with all the bells and whistles.  I would like to have horizontal roof racks, seat warmers, and navigation for my long journey up to Winter Wonderland in New York state  :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:17:52 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Working on your car « Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:27 AM » Author: suzukir122
My car (pontiac G6, 2.4 liter) is definitely not something I'm proud of... and there are probably hidden problems I don't
know about that is going on in the engine. (Check engine light) The most recent work I've done to my car is
an oil change. That's it... I've had that car since 2014.
The only vehicle I have that I get plenty of work done to is my motorcycle. What concerns me is the fact that
the check engine light has been activated ever since I installed a new custom exhaust on it.
My fear is that I might have to get an ECU flash to maybe match the new exhaust... I don't know.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Working on your car « Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 07:29:31 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
My car (pontiac G6, 2.4 liter) is definitely not something I'm proud of... and there are probably hidden problems I don't
know about that is going on in the engine. (Check engine light) The most recent work I've done to my car is
The only vehicle I have that I get plenty of work done to is my motorcycle. What concerns me is the fact that
the check engine light has been activated ever since I installed a new custom exhaust on it.
My fear is that I might have to get an ECU flash to maybe match the new exhaust... I don't know.

If you have an OBDII reader you can find what the code is to see the specific problem. Does the new custom exhaust have a high-flow catalytic converter? I've heard that these can cause the check engine light to come on as the ECU thinks the converter is being inefficient.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Working on your car « Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 08:55:39 AM » Author: suzukir122
Nope... this exhaust is a "bolt on" exhaust that is simply bolted onto the existing pipe, after
removing the stock exhaust muffler. The stock catalytic converter is still on the bike.
The other thing I've noticed is that when revving the bike at high rpms, the exhaust spits out
A LOT of fire... which looks really really threatening, yet cool... however... I've read that
it's a sign that the bike is either running rich or lean. Not sure if that might have something
to do with it...?

@CEB1993, Subaru... what about the Subaru Impreza WRX? That car has plenty get up and go kind of power,
despite the 2.0Liter engine. It's also lightweight

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Working on your car « Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 05:48:41 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Ideally I would get the V6 3.6L Boxer engine.  I want something with a little get up and go  ;D  However, my buddy has the 2.5L 4 cylinder Boxer engine in his Outback and he says it's plenty powerful.  I have heard that CVT transmissions are naturally jerky and and have rough shifts at low speeds.  I'm looking for something 2014 or newer with all the bells and whistles.  I would like to have horizontal roof racks, seat warmers, and navigation for my long journey up to Winter Wonderland in New York state  :D

You'll do just fine with 2014 and newer.  Be it 2.5L or 3.6.  They have ironed out many of the CVT issues by 2015.  I would not hesitate to get a 2014 either. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Working on your car « Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 05:50:18 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I always had the image that Volkswagen was reliable. ??? That being said in Australia you wouldn't want to buy a European car of any make since the parts and servicing for them are so expensive.

That's the same issue with the European vehicles everywhere except Europe and even then there are exceptions. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Working on your car « Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 05:51:33 PM » Author: RyanF40T12

I don't think you'll need to have it flashed unless you deleted emissions components.  How many miles on the vehicle?  What year? 

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Working on your car « Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 06:21:02 PM » Author: suzukir122
The bike was made in 2004. (Triumph Daytona 600) One of Britain's older super-sport bikes. (It's also very rare)
The owner that had this bike before didn't ride it very much, and it's got only 15,300+ miles as
of now. The engine is very smooth and the bike rides just fine despite the check engine light. But that
light has only been on ever since that custom exhaust, so I don't know what the deal is.

Interests:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Working on your car « Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 07:37:55 PM » Author: Lodge

First of all I would be more worried about something going wrong with a GM product when the light is off, I don't think I've used a GM product that didn't have the light on, My car has had it on for the last 100,000 plus miles and the simplest fix for the annoying light is a small piece of black electrical tape,it blends in nice with the rest of the cluster...

But if your really worried about it, just use an ODBII reader, they will let you use them at most auto parts stores for free so you can discover it's something like a loose fitting gas cap, and if that is the case, next time you buy gas ask the attendant for the box of forgotten gas caps they have under the counter and get a new gas cap for free as well... 
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Working on your car « Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 08:52:25 PM » Author: suzukir122
Regarding my Pontiac G6, I agree with the check engine light always being on. Before my Pontiac G6, I
had a custom Pontiac Grand Prix (coupe) 3.8L v6, and that light was ALWAYS on. The real issues began
when the light began flashing (at a steady rate) indicating that serious engine problems were imminent.
Turns out the engine was misfiring. Months later, the engine threw a rod. That was the death of that car.
So far this Pontiac G6 I got has lasted me almost 4 years with no problems. Only work I've done to it is oil changes.

Interests:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Working on your car « Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 11:36:10 PM » Author: Lodge
If the engine is misfiring, that would be something to fix but most of the issuse that cause the light to flash are normally related to protecting the cat from overheating and burning out, which if you don't have Smog testing isn't much of an issue unless it catches on fire (very rare) but if you have annual testing get ready to hand out a grand or more for a new cat once you fix the cause of the problem...   
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 09:23:23 AM » Author: CEB1993
First of all I would be more worried about something going wrong with a GM product when the light is off, I don't think I've used a GM product that didn't have the light on, My car has had it on for the last 100,000 plus miles and the simplest fix for the annoying light is a small piece of black electrical tape,it blends in nice with the rest of the cluster...

But if your really worried about it, just use an ODBII reader, they will let you use them at most auto parts stores for free so you can discover it's something like a loose fitting gas cap, and if that is the case, next time you buy gas ask the attendant for the box of forgotten gas caps they have under the counter and get a new gas cap for free as well... 

Black tape over the check engine light  :D I tried resetting the light by unplugging the battery and plugging it back in, but the light just came on again one day later. I need a new catalytic converter, which I'm not worried about since the car still runs perfectly. My only concern is that there could be another more serious problem that the check engine light could also represent. It's annoying how the single warning light could represent 25 different malfunctions in the car from something as small as a loose gas cap to something as big as engine misfiring.

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies