Author Topic: Working on your car  (Read 19415 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #60 on: November 24, 2017, 02:09:06 PM » Author: CEB1993
I must say CEB1993 that your VW has served you well indeed. One thing to keep an eye on with Subaru is their wheel bearings aren't very good I've had a few replaced in my time and the headgaskets as takemorepills said. Fortunately my head gasket hasn't blown thank goodness as my Outback is my daily driver. Also beware that many Subaru engines use a timing belt as opposed to a timing chain so every 80,000 miles or so they need to be replaced during a routine service so you may want to factor that cost.

I'm familiar with timing belt work.  Had to have that replaced a year after getting the car, 6 years ago.  At the time I had the timing belt and the water pump replaced.  I remember your wheel bearing problems from another thread.  I thought I could have had a wheel bearing problem myself due to a "scrape" noise coming from the rear axle during braking at high speeds.  Turned out to be a worn break pad. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #61 on: December 25, 2017, 10:31:33 PM » Author: CEB1993
Today, I got two WeatherTech floor mats for the front floor boards in my car.  They are excellent quality, and custom made to my 2004 VW Jetta, so they fit perfectly.  I was able to remove the manky old fabric floor mats that had holes and stains  :)  These WeatherTech floor mats are easy to clean and protect the fabric flooring from stains and wear.  They give my car's interior a clean and refreshed feel  ;D

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Working on your car « Reply #62 on: December 26, 2017, 12:17:35 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I'm glad you like yours.  I had gotten weathertechs for my truck and after a few months they started to give me trouble and warp.  Common issue it appears as others who have trucks like mine had the same issue.  Husky was what everyone said was best for my application, however- I got my mother some Weathertechs for her POS Hyundai Santa Fe and so far after 3 years they are still doing ok. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Working on your car « Reply #63 on: December 26, 2017, 01:20:03 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I have Michelin floor mats for my car purchased at Costco here in Australia a number of months ago. They have held up pretty well in my Nissan X-Trail and the Goodyear floor mats purchased from Costco a couple of years back have held up well in my Subaru Outback as well.

I replaced the kangaroo damaged headlight about a week ago on my X-Trail and the front has improved significantly now. I just need to repair the superficial damage on the front now.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #64 on: December 26, 2017, 08:57:33 AM » Author: CEB1993
I have Michelin floor mats for my car purchased at Costco here in Australia a number of months ago. They have held up pretty well in my Nissan X-Trail and the Goodyear floor mats purchased from Costco a couple of years back have held up well in my Subaru Outback as well.

I replaced the kangaroo damaged headlight about a week ago on my X-Trail and the front has improved significantly now. I just need to repair the superficial damage on the front now.

Those floor mats make a difference, especially if you live in a rainy climate.  They're easy to clean and don't soak up water, mud, or spilled drinks.

I'm glad to hear you got the X-Trail fixed up!  I'm on high alert for animals on the road now that my parents have a lake house in a more rural area, that I drive to.  Lots of deer out there, and I drive past farms with large animals like horses and goats that could get loose and run into the road.  I'm extra careful, especially after seeing two large female deer run in front of me on the road a few weeks ago.

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #65 on: January 07, 2018, 10:16:07 PM » Author: CEB1993
It’s so cold here in SC that my windshield cleaner froze solid  :o I wanted to spray it on the windshield with the wipers on to clear the frost, but nothing came out. I could tell it was frozen because later in the day after driving the car and making the engine hot, it sprayed out normally.  The outside temperature had also risen from 18 degrees to about 38 degrees. It’s too cold for us Southerners right now! I guess I’ll have to invest in the cold weather rated windshield washer fluid.

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Working on your car « Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 04:53:32 AM » Author: suzukir122
Not as cold as it *was* in Ohio... at times we hit -14 degrees for lows.
Thing is, it looks as if the "Arctic Blast" is over. Hopefully, for good.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Working on your car « Reply #67 on: January 12, 2018, 12:53:19 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It’s so cold here in SC that my windshield cleaner froze solid  :o I wanted to spray it on the windshield with the wipers on to clear the frost, but nothing came out. I could tell it was frozen because later in the day after driving the car and making the engine hot, it sprayed out normally.  The outside temperature had also risen from 18 degrees to about 38 degrees. It’s too cold for us Southerners right now! I guess I’ll have to invest in the cold weather rated windshield washer fluid.
What you can do in colder weather is to keep a spray bottle of screenwash inside your car, so that if everything does get clogged up you can use that before setting off.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Working on your car « Reply #68 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:14 PM » Author: Lodge
What you can do in colder weather is to keep a spray bottle of screenwash inside your car, so that if everything does get clogged up you can use that before setting off.

Or just use stuff rated to -50 all year round, you buy it in the end of spring when it gets to the give away prices and stock up, it works in summer as well, and if you spray rainx stuff on the windows every couple of months in summer the bugs don't stick..
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Working on your car « Reply #69 on: January 14, 2018, 04:53:10 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Or just use stuff rated to -50 all year round, you buy it in the end of spring when it gets to the give away prices and stock up, it works in summer as well, and if you spray rainx stuff on the windows every couple of months in summer the bugs don't stick..

You can't buy that this side of the pond unfortunately.  :(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Working on your car « Reply #70 on: January 14, 2018, 07:31:51 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Why??

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Working on your car « Reply #71 on: January 14, 2018, 08:28:37 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I use RainX to great results on the windscreens on both my cars. You don't even need to use the wipers on the motorways since the rain just rolls off. They are sold in most automotive stores here in Australia.

I'm going to changed the headlight bulbs in my X-Trail in the next few weeks with Philips XtremeVisions.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #72 on: January 14, 2018, 08:42:55 PM » Author: CEB1993
I am doing some research on another SUV that I'm interested in trading for some time this year, the Mazda CX-9.  Now that I think about it, lots of people in my area drive Subaru Outbacks, and I don't want to copy my good friend who has a Subaru Outback.

The Mazda has all the features that I want:

All Wheel Drive
Heated Seats and Heated Steering Wheel
Japanese Rosewood Trim
Premium Bose Stereo
Navigation
Tons of Cargo Space

The CX-9 is a little sportier to drive than any Subaru and it has some cool mood lighting in the interior, too ;D  Excellent reliability, which makes it a less expensive car to own.  I plan on figuring out how to work on it myself for small repairs like I've done with my current Jetta :)

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Working on your car « Reply #73 on: January 14, 2018, 09:16:32 PM » Author: Lodge

Just add some Meths to it, basically the stuff I get is about 60 % meths, it will actually burn if you set it alight, but if it freezes then it's time to stay home because that is stupid cold and if anything happens at that temp people can die from exposure in a fairly short time, and I even have a coleman M-1950 stove in the car a gallon of fuel for it and a sleeping bag and some more clothing and stuff to eat but if the meths freezes then it's time to enjoy cooking something at home. 
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Working on your car « Reply #74 on: January 17, 2018, 04:41:33 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I am doing some research on another SUV that I'm interested in trading for some time this year, the Mazda CX-9.  Now that I think about it, lots of people in my area drive Subaru Outbacks, and I don't want to copy my good friend who has a Subaru Outback.

The Mazda has all the features that I want:

All Wheel Drive
Heated Seats and Heated Steering Wheel
Japanese Rosewood Trim
Premium Bose Stereo
Navigation
Tons of Cargo Space

The CX-9 is a little sportier to drive than any Subaru and it has some cool mood lighting in the interior, too ;D  Excellent reliability, which makes it a less expensive car to own.  I plan on figuring out how to work on it myself for small repairs like I've done with my current Jetta :)

My sister owns a 2009 Mazda 3 which she purchased second hand in 2012 and it has been faultless and perfect for her. I'd say go for it. Subarus are great though their wheel bearings are a huge letdown with my experience which is why I'm passing my Outback to my father and getting a pickup to compliment my X-Trail. The X-Trail is going to become my daily driver and the pickup will be perfect for holidays and road trips. ;)

I will be getting new tyres in the next few weeks for my X-Trail and most likely get the original ones fitted to the car which are Toyo Open Country highway terrain. I've also had the check engine light come on occasionally since I hit the kangaroo and it comes up with the dreaded P0420 error code. >:(
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies