Author Topic: Working on your car  (Read 19399 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #105 on: July 25, 2018, 09:52:22 PM » Author: CEB1993
I have had an ongoing battle with the windshield in my car.  It's leaking  :o  Each time it rains or when I drive through a car wash, the passenger side A-pillar sustains a slow water leak.  The upholstery on the interior of the A-pillar is soaked each time the windshield is exposed to water.  The bottom line is that the windshield is not properly installed and sealed, and the gasket or sealant has gone bad. 

I have used Permatex RTV silicone gel as a quick and cheap fix for now.  It was surprisingly easy to use and looks decent and has reduced the severity of the water leak.  I'm going to touch it up and go through the car wash one more time, although I would much rather have a whole new windshield with new, properly installed gaskets done by a professional.  Unfortunately, car insurance does not cover non-glass related issues for South Carolina cars.  In my state, if the windshield is cracked or chipped or otherwise damaged, it is replaced for free under most insurance plans.  That's super nice if a rock hits the glass.  However, it doesn't do any good for a defective seal/gasket on an otherwise pristine windshield.  As it is an important part of my car, and crucial to its safe operation and appearance, I'm prepared to pay out of pocket to replace the whole windshield.

The interesting thing about Subaru's (that I think is a design flaw) is that the windshield is not mounted flush with the front window frame on the Legacy and Outback.  The pane of glass is raised, and looks like it would be easy to pry off with a basic flathead screwdriver.  The gaskets are completely exposed, and would be easy to damage, too. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Working on your car « Reply #106 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:26 PM » Author: takemorepills
Did you buy your car brand new?

It seems to me that you're describing the classic results of an improperly installed replacement windshield.

I'm around Subies often, and we've owned quite a few. I've never seen one with a windshield that looks "raised".

You are probably getting extra wind noise also.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Working on your car « Reply #107 on: July 25, 2018, 10:13:17 PM » Author: CEB1993
Did you buy your car brand new?

It seems to me that you're describing the classic results of an improperly installed replacement windshield.

I'm around Subies often, and we've owned quite a few. I've never seen one with a windshield that looks "raised".

You are probably getting extra wind noise also.

I bought this car preowned.  It's a 2016 Subaru Legacy, so it seems way too new to be having this kind of body integrity problem.  I have no idea about its repair history (I do know the CarFax is clean with no accidents reported, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the car).  My theory is that the previous owner didn't go to a reputable company to have a chipped windshield installed, and the low quality labor finally reared its ugly head with me.  I'm excited to go someplace trustworthy and well known like Safelite to have the windshield done right.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies