Author Topic: lights dry out eyes?  (Read 1571 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
lights dry out eyes? « on: November 16, 2017, 02:37:33 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
usually when i leave any of my metal halide lamps or coated mercury lamps on for an extended period of time, or even my LED lights or CFL's my eyes begin to feel as if they're drying out after a couple hours, is this a common occurrence? it does not happen with my Incandescents,uncoated mercury or HPS just the other sources.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: lights dry out eyes? « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:01:35 PM » Author: Ash
Does any of the light types affect how much you blink ?
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: lights dry out eyes? « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:53:51 PM » Author: Lodge
And is the temperature in the room increasing while the lights are running basically drying out the room ?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: lights dry out eyes? « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:32:12 PM » Author: sol
In my living room/dining room, I normally use 70W of MH (divided into 50+20) and some magnetically ballasted fluorescent (2xF15T8 and PL-7). No dry eyes.

Maybe, like it was suggested, due to the high wattage of your setup, that it dries out the room.

Usually, my dryness is due to leaving contact lenses in the eyes for too long.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: lights dry out eyes? « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 11:46:54 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps

usually the lamp tha always dries my eyes out is the coated mercury one, also when i used to run my metal halide room lamp alot (before the bulb busted) after some time had passed i usually developed some sort of dry eye, back when i used to have a CFL desk lamp (before i replaced it with the HPS desklamp) it used to dry my eyes out and if i hang out in the livingroom for an extended period of time which has LED lamps in the room lamp (one of those 3 lamp dealies) my eyes feel like they're dried up sorta, usually when i run my 175W merc i have my windows open because i dont like my room warm so it cant be heat... and i never really thought about how much i blink under certain types of light.... ive also noticed something weird.... when i run my DX 175W MV lamp my eyes begin to dry out, but when i run my 400W C/ MV lamp my eyes dont act up nearly as bad...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: lights dry out eyes? « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 09:10:14 PM » Author: CEB1993
I haven't had this problem myself.  I typically look at bright halogen lamps for short periods of time and find that having the protective glass shield over the T3 halogen bulbs prevents me from having eye irritation.  I wear contacts, so my problem is that light is reflected by the contacts and appears brighter than it actually is for my eyes.  I have light blue eyes, which also further increases my sensitivity to bright light.  I've never had dry eye problems, but I am sensitive to bright light due to my blue eyes and contacts.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: lights dry out eyes? « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 03:29:05 AM » Author: Medved
In my experience the lack of eye blinking is the most common cause of dry eyes. So try to focus on it just a bit...
Very often an excitement is a mind state naturally leading to lack of eye blinking, with all the consequences. And I'm not kidding here... ;-)

And other note: Most HID's above 250W use not to meet the UV emission standards, so you may get too much UV exposure (most likely not as bad as naked burner, but still above safe level)

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies