Author Topic: Restoring a lantern  (Read 6549 times)
dp
Restoring a lantern « on: August 17, 2006, 04:43:32 PM » Author: dp
Hi all

In a few weeks I am due to replace this old GEC lantern from the 1970s:

www.freewebs.com/streetlightsonstreets/GEC9.jpg

How can I get all the grime from the trees and what do I need to do before I paint it. The control gear is mounted in the lantern. There will also be burn marks from the heat of the lamp and the ballast. If you are interested it is a 35w GEC Z9533 lantern. Part from the restoration will be a new lamp fitted which I can get from work easily as I work with them ;)

Regards DP
dp
Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:48:28 PM » Author: dp
Sorry I have a problem with the link so click on this one instead:

www.freewebs.com/streetlightsonstreets/photographs/GEC9.jpg

Thank You!

Regards DP
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 06:57:03 PM » Author: prawnman88
if u are in the usa go gone or maybe tar remover at a locl hardware store wors great on the metal part
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:09:28 PM » Author: J-Frog
He's in the UK I believe...

Do you have something similar to Simple Green over there?  Simple Green works real well on grime.

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

dp
Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:36:27 PM » Author: dp
Hi all

I am UK based, I haven't seen any of that stuff but we have nitro-mors which is a paint remover. What do you think of the light? It is a GEC Z9533. I don't think I had mentioned it before. On my website there are loads more GEC lanterns.

Regards DP
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:35 PM » Author: prawnman88
always make sure u remove the lens or cover it up with something like paper towels also make sure that the paint remover is metal friendly im in the process of restoring my ge form 79 as we speak and make sure to wear good gloves oterwise u will get a chemical burn always be careful and wear glasses or gogels
dp
Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:59:01 PM » Author: dp
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Regards DP
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 04:01:17 PM » Author: prawnman88
np and post some pics when u can love to se some english laps and and lanters  ::)
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:16:51 PM » Author: J-Frog
Hi all

I am UK based, I haven't seen any of that stuff but we have nitro-mors which is a paint remover. What do you think of the light? It is a GEC Z9533. I don't think I had mentioned it before. On my website there are loads more GEC lanterns.

Regards DP

I like it, partly because it's a LPS fixture :)

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

dp
Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 04:48:49 PM » Author: dp
Apparently at work today I learnt that the lamp was from GE and it was only a year old! Apparently GE are as not as good as they used to be with LPS\SOX lamps. ::) No offence to anyone who works at General Electric. By the way, GEC stands for General Electric Company which stopped manufacturing in 1992. They have no relation with General Electric.
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:54:08 PM » Author: prawnman88
seems the older stuff no matter who made it was alot better nowadays seems to be all junk
dp
Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 04:35:46 PM » Author: dp
I can't wait when it will be restored to it's former glory because I have never seen a UK light fitting as old as the 70's restored from myself apart from websites although I would probably have a sence of wellbeing afterwards.
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 04:59:51 PM » Author: prawnman88
well i sure do bud after finishing my light yesterday im 95% done and i poped a t-10 tube 25 watt clear bulb in it make a nice glow when u are done with yours youll be like wooohoooo!!!!! :o
dp
Re: Restoring a lantern « Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:44:45 PM » Author: dp
I now have the lantern, it is unrestored but unfortunately our digital camera is broken :( so we will have to wait and will restore it for sure when the camera is fixed or get a new one so watch this space as i will tell you when the pictures are posted. The will be a few pics of it.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies