Author Topic: Capacitor failure in SRS?  (Read 1677 times)
Anselmo1

View Posts
View Gallery

Capacitor failure in SRS? « on: December 06, 2017, 01:51:22 PM » Author: Anselmo1
Hey all...i recently acquired a couple of flourescent fittings...one of which is a 5 foot twin SRS crompton fitting...i was told by the guy who gave me it he was changing the tube in the fitting whilst it was on (as you do) and heard a bang...one of the capacitors wired in & out of the ballast has exploded.
Seeing as this fitting is quite old & i was i tending to use it...is there any way i can remove it & use the light without?or anywhere i could get a replacement please?
Cheers.
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Capacitor failure in SRS? « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:16 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Is the capacitor in series with one of the tubes? If yes then you will need to replace it if its just across the mains then no you done need it it will draw a bit more current  but no harm done
Anselmo1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Capacitor failure in SRS? « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:27:37 PM » Author: Anselmo1
Thank you for the reply.
Yes its wired into the ballast...the other one has one wired into that as well. So yeah i think theyl be in series with each tube.
This is the working one pictured.
Haha. So where am i gunna pick one of these capacitors up then,this fittings straight out of the 70’s i bet.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Capacitor failure in SRS? « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:44:45 PM » Author: Ash
This little thing is not the SRS capacitor, it is at most some RF suppression capacitor (though i doubt that SRS even needs one, as there is no switching present). It would be safe to just leave it disconnected

When the SRS capacitor fails catastrophically there be blood, lamp will blow out and possibly one of the coil leads will blow (i dont know for sure, but i do have an SRS ballast where a lead is fused). If you can disconnect and replace the SRS capacitor, disconnect it and measure the coils - each coil separately as well as for shorts between the coils and from coil to Earth
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Capacitor failure in SRS? « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:51:40 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Its unlikely you'll find an exact replacement but if you can find one of the same capacitance and voltage you should be ok make sure it rated for mains use.
Anselmo1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Capacitor failure in SRS? « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:34 PM » Author: Anselmo1
Cheers all. Im not 100% electronically clued up about these sort of things.
Anselmo1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Capacitor failure in SRS? « Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:18:20 PM » Author: Anselmo1
Its like ive got another srs twin fitting...thorn pop pack 40w...and neither of them ballsts have one attatched,hence why im questioning the need for it on the fitting in question.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Capacitor failure in SRS? « Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:05:46 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
It almost looks like a bumblebee type capacitor just without the stripes...
usually these are paper in oil capacitors.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:09:11 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies