Author Topic: ballasts whats noiser  (Read 2246 times)
form109
ballasts whats noiser « on: July 18, 2008, 12:13:19 AM » Author: form109
although mercury vapor & metal halide ballasts seem to be prone to buzzing as they age,i would think any ballast would become noisy,if maybe the laminations,cane undone.
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: ballasts whats noiser « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 04:14:18 PM » Author: don93s
I've seen both MV and MH ballasts get equally noisy. The most common source of noise seems to result from the coil becoming loose around the core. I have successfully repaired this by applying class H transformer varnish on and around the coils...usually works like a charm. Problem is that the varnish that I have is hard to find....luckily I had some at work.
form109
Re: ballasts whats noiser « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 04:31:41 PM » Author: form109
although its more expensive,why not use expoxy resin,if you pot the ballast with epoxy the ballast would be very quiet,also epoxy would last longer than varnish because it has a very high tollerance of tempatures,the epoxy also reduces hot spots on the windings,prolonging the life.
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: ballasts whats noiser « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 05:14:46 PM » Author: lite_lover
although mercury vapor & metal halide ballasts seem to be prone to buzzing as they age,i would think any ballast would become noisy,if maybe the laminations,cane undone.

Yes, any ballast can become noisy,even fluorescent and HPS.I have a couple fixtures with HPS ballasts, that are buzzing a little more than most.

The brighter the better.

GE M-400A1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Pontiac 6000 STE

Re: ballasts whats noiser « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 12:03:16 PM » Author: GE M-400A1
I used Epoxy on my Silverliner's Ballast and it sure made it quiet!

My Cars:

1986 Pontiac 6000 STE

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi

1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi

form109
Re: ballasts whats noiser « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:31:29 PM » Author: form109
there is one flourescent fixture in my school that needs replacing the ballast hum is very prominent,the lamp has very blackened ends,and the old lamp is destroying the ballast!

i also recall a ballast in a flourescent fixture overheating,when it burned out it had the most awful smell!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies