Author Topic: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No?  (Read 1928 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « on: December 28, 2017, 06:59:43 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I Don't think they'll ever become obsolete, there will always be audiophiles out there... and people like me, who despise the idea of having to carry a pair of wireless non-standardized POS battery charger hogs  around, and by non standardized yes I'm poking at Blue-tooth, because if it were standardized most every device would use it... which they don't, aside from smart phones and some computers. I never use my phone for music anyway, because for one, I don't feel like wasting my battery one that when i have an MP3 player that lasts ten times longer, Two, I don't feel like wasting storage space on music when i could use that space for my camera, Three I HATE streaming services, I'd rather not be tethered to the interweb to listen to my tunes, Four, I have over 3900 songs on my MP3 player, Try beating that with most phones nowadays. so all that considered i would never have a need personally for wireless earphones nor would i ever consider them. I'm sticking with android phones which decided to retain their headphone jacks, because on the rare occurrence that i decided to watch a YT video on my phone (which is not often bc i have a laptop for that) i don't have to whip out some battery hog i forgot to charge this morning. That concludes my rant, Opinions? counter arguments? fire away!

here is a picture of my headphones and MP3 player, The player is a Sandisk Clipjam with 8 GB internal memory and 16 gig external card (which i can up to a 32 gig) and the headphones are Sony, which i modified with a Polaroid Plug, because the Polaroid plugs are durable, but the speakers most times are garbage, while Sony earphones sound great but their plugs are weak. so i made my earbuds the best of both worlds. so they can withstand all my roaming around through woods, junkyards and abandoned buildings etc etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:38:20 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:26:11 PM » Author: CEB1993
You make some good points, Owen. I understand how it’s easier to keep your music on your MP3 player and reserve your phone for its purpose. I am a big Spotify fan, though I agree with you that it’s a problem if internet issues take place, your music is messed up. I have annoying connectivity problems myself, where I drive out in the mountainous country on the SC and NC state border.  In that case, I would appreciate an MP3 player or downloaded music in my car’s infotainment system that doesn’t require internet signal. I’m like you and I don’t download music onto my iPhone, so it isn’t slowed down by occupied memory. Spotify doesn’t require music to be downloaded, one of many huge improvements over the despicable iTunes.

It’s a coincidence that you mention wireless headphones, because I just got some for Christmas. Philips brand. They have excellent sound quality, but pairing them with my phone or laptop is difficult and I don’t like that they need to be recharged.  The iPhone 7 that I have doesn’t have a traditional headphone jack. However, it did include wired headphones with a square plug that fit into the charging port. I don’t think wired headphones will disappear, but I do think Bluetooth will become more refined and compatible with different devices as time goes on. I would miss wired headphones, especially the noise canceling ones.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:41:46 AM » Author: Ash
I dont take audio with me on the go, but when i used to - in the mid 00's, it was an mp3 player and medium size headphones with arch. Nowadays on the PC i use mostly big headphones. As for the music itself, most of it is now from Youtube, if i find something nice i download it from Youtube and store on the PC

Wired headphones are better than wireless in many ways : No battery (and the overhead with it, and the environmental impact), simple and reliable, compatible with simple and reliable other devices, no wireless transmission from the player device, easily repaired if damaged

In a factory i bought some equipment from, there were hearing protection headphones (for work on a noisy machine) that somebody modified by adding headphones inside them and wiring out a cable. They were plugged into a radio standing on the machine
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:57 AM » Author: icefoglights
At one of my jobs, I actually use Bluetooth headphones frequently, up to 7 hours at a time during a shift.  Before they were common, I used to use wired earbuds.  They worked, but the cord often got in the way.  The cord would often snag on stuff and either yank the earbuds out of my ears, or the plug out of the MP3 player, or wiggle the earbuds out of position.  3 years ago, I got some Bose Bluetooth headphones, and have been really happy with them.  The clarity is good enough for my ears, and the lack of cord has made working easier.  One of my favorite things about these particular headphones, is that they are a 2 piece solution, being made up of a pair of headphones, with a detachable Bluetooth module.   If the battery goes dead, the module can be removed to recharge, and replaced with a cord.  Also handy for using them with devices that lack Bluetooth, like my old iPod nano or iRiver.  As far as battery life goes, they're 3 years old and can still get through a shift and a half between charges, and they recharge in about 30 min.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 12:39:52 AM » Author: tolivac
NO!!!!Esp for critical listening--the wire is best.Wireless can get noisey.
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 01:50:47 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Definitely wired headphones. It's very rare I will be listening far away from the source so I'm happy with wired.

I remember my parents had wireless headphones for their stereo one time when I was younger, and it was able to pick up FM broadcasts as well as CB radios. :o
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:17:34 AM » Author: takemorepills
I think in the next 10 years we will be getting a BIG reality check about wireless. Already California is warning about cellular phones generating harmful radiation. I have always known this would pop up. We shouldn't argue about it here as likely none of us are subject matter experts on the issue, but we can all agree that eventually we always seem to be finding out that "something" is bad for us.

Wi-Fi, Cellular, Bluetooth, it won't matter they are all sources of radiation, which theoretically could disrupt one strand of DNA creating cancer.

The reason I mention bluetooth is that the first wave of this realization that cellular phones might be harmful might cause people to keep their phone at a distance but stay connected via bluetooth. But bluetooth is RF radiation also. So...yeah...

I have wireless BT headphones, and I like them a lot. But honestly, the convenience of wireless isn't as big a deal for me as I thought it would be when I bought them. Yeah they are wireless, but they are still an accessory you need to take care of, and they need to be recharged, I always forget to charge mine. Being in a gym I can see them being very useful, but all other activities you can just tuck the cord down your shirt.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 05:24:55 AM » Author: dor123
I always uses wired USB headphones + microphone combo, when talking in Skype, watching Youtube videos and listen to music while playing.
I usually prefer Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, despite their pillows disintegrates after several years of use, as they are comfortable, and their sound don't causes me headache like the Logitech one I used before, and they have high sound quality.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 06:28:10 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I have wired headphones, I did toy with the idea of having wireless ones a few years ago so that I could listen to my Hi Fi while sitting outside, but the ones I got in a charity shop didn't work so I took them back. Then I got an MP3 player and didn't need to have that facility any more.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 07:58:10 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Wired headphones/earphones are what I will buy because the hassle of separately charging the earphones is a big put off for me as its already a hassle having to charge my s4 phone and my iPod. Also its bad enough to know that whilst your iPod is still got some juice the earphones will lose power first  :o and I do NOT want that happening whilst I am on the go  >:(

With having to enable Bluetooth your phone/iPod will have to use more power and I've got power retention issues with both my s4 phone and iPod because I go out a lot especially when I am in London

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:44 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I rarely use headphones, but when I do they're wired. I have zero interest in wireless..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 11:54:25 AM » Author: dischargecraze
Wired only. No need to recharge, plug in and you’re good to go. Tuck the cable under your shirt and you can even mow your lawn. Works with all devices, phones, desktop computers without bluetooth, televisions etc...

I have tried wireless but the connection just stops working or audio is not synced up. I’d rather use dongles than wireless headphones.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 08:03:48 PM » Author: Rommie

Wired only. No need to recharge, plug in and you’re good to go. Tuck the cable under your shirt and you can even mow your lawn. Works with all devices, phones, desktop computers without bluetooth, televisions etc...

I have tried wireless but the connection just stops working or audio is not synced up. I’d rather use dongles than wireless headphones.

Wired only, absolutely. I use a pair of Beyer DT100 headphones, best I've ever had, comfortable to wear for hours on end. They're not standard equipment in most radio studios for nothing.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 08:08:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Wired only, absolutely. I use a pair of Beyer DT100 headphones, best I've ever had, comfortable to wear for hours on end. They're not standard equipment in most radio studios for nothing.
And you can get replacement parts for them, so when the ear pads wear out you just fit a new pair. :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Whats your opinion on wired headphones? Obsolete? No? « Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:10:04 PM » Author: Rommie

And you can get replacement parts for them, so when the ear pads wear out you just fit a new pair. :)

Not only the ear pads, the headband, inserts, just about every part is replaceable, none of this chuck it away and buy a new one mentality you get nowadays. In any case, I've only ever replaced the ear pads once in about 10 years. Brilliant piece of kit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:11:46 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies