Author Topic: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS  (Read 4306 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 07:55:26 AM » Author: Lumex120
Depends, this is not street light related, But earlier tonight i was riding with a friends mother home and we came up upon some utility workers doing their thing, with these bright glary (...) LED warning lights on, They are distracting and overwhelmingly bright and flashy... I'd bet if the wrong person came by they'd have a seizure (AND I KNOW PEOPLE WHO WOULD!!), she got pissed about it and started speaking of how she missed the "old revolver light thingies" I am totally on her side with this one... I hate those LED warning lights... they suck. that truck literally looked like a freaking UFO... No joke, I'm not exaggerating.... and this seems to be a common occurrence around here and neighboring cities.. And they've recently come out with these green ones .... I HATE THOSE MORE! they're even worse.... it adds insult to injury when they use both green and orange.. WTF!!!

I know its to protect the workers but this is just too (...) much. when the driver cant even see what they're doing because some bright (...) light is glaring in their face than what good is a warning light to begin with?? traffic pylons mounted with blinkers are more effective than this madness!
Wow, and I thought I was the only one who considered those to be a serious hazard. I don't know how they were ever legalized in the first place. They are completely blinding in darker areas and make it impossible to see anything but the emergency vehicles.

Unofficial LG Discord

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:45 AM » Author: Rommie
Ok, so there may not be any residents at the moment, but there will be.

Take a survey of residents from a similar development, and ask them. Before street lights are replaced in a given street, ask those living there what their opinions are.

If you get no reply, or an indifferent one, then you can take it that they don't care.

But they might.

When major decisions are taken that affect thousands or even millions of people, consultation is key.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:49:35 AM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 10:46:28 AM » Author: Rommie

Wow, and I thought I was the only one who considered those to be a serious hazard. I don't know how they were ever legalized in the first place. They are completely blinding in darker areas and make it impossible to see anything but the emergency vehicles.
I agree with you on that one. I don't know about where you live, but over here, it seems to me that ambulances have brighter lights than the other services. I was driving home from work a few years ago at around 0130 (I used to work lates) and an ambulance on full blast blues and twos came towards me. Their flashing lights were so bright I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait for them to pass, otherwise there might well have been another accident..!

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 02:32:24 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
They are legal and they are being installed because they work just fine for the majority of people out there.  Majority rules.  Minority can go pound sand.  There is no way to please everyone.  And I am willing to bet you that the majority of the streetlights being installed are not the horrendous feeling hurting glare bombs that a few of you think they all are.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 02:42:51 PM » Author: Rommie

They are legal and they are being installed because they work just fine for the majority of people out there.  Majority rules.  Minority can go pound sand. 

There is no need to be offensive to people just because you consider them to be in a minority.

There is no way to please everyone.  And I am willing to bet you that the majority of the streetlights being installed are not the horrendous feeling hurting glare bombs that a few of you think they all are.
And I am willing to bet that if you actually asked people what they want for street lights, you might get a surprise.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 02:58:55 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I hate the LED street lights that are sprouting up all over the place. To my mind they are ugly even during the day, and at night the ones installed round where we live are glare bombs. There is an added danger to having an overly bright light source, and that is your eyes are automatically drawn to it, and therefore not looking at the road where they should be.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:30 PM » Author: Rommie

I hate the LED street lights that are sprouting up all over the place. To my mind they are ugly even during the day, and at night the ones installed round where we live are glare bombs. There is an added danger to having an overly bright light source, and that is your eyes are automatically drawn to it, and therefore not looking at the road where they should be.  >:(
Exactly, which is why I made the comment about emergency vehicle beacons. If I hadn't pulled over to the side of the road, the ambulance coming towards me would have arrived at an incident somewhat sooner than they might have expected :o

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 03:20:20 PM » Author: FGS
And I am willing to bet that if you actually asked people what they want for street lights, you might get a surprise.

Would they know the differences between HPS, LPS, MV, MH, LED, and FL. I'm sure developers has asked them before getting no results so they probably gave up on asking. As far they're concerned, no one cares as long it's a lit road. (I asked a friend who works for an electrical contractor building new houses whether the developers ask around or not.)(A division or two sprouted up near my old house and no one ever asked us about it.)

Btw. The streetlights aren't being replaced as there's NO streetlights to be replaced. It's all new road, lights, gas, and other junk.

As for the emergency lights... I agree they're on the bright side. Given the text and drive people are doing. Basically general distractions behind the wheel. Are you willing to take the chance of someone rear ending you while you work out of such vehicles?

I miss the old colored lenses strobe/LED/halogen emergency lighting setups. Now it's all LEDs and gray when off. So horribly boring to take pics of emergency vehicles! Only photogenic part on them is the paint job and car model used. I don't even bother with close up of the lights on the roof.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:25:03 PM by FGS » Logged

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 06:20:17 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
And they've recently come out with these green ones .... I HATE THOSE MORE! they're even worse
I've never seen Green. But in the past couple years I've started seeing white & orange on maintenance/worker type vehicles...the problem I see with that is from a distance the blueish color of cool-white LEDs makes it look like a 'real' emergency vehicle is there, not some useless maintenance truck.

Quote from: MissRiaElaine
Their flashing lights were so bright I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait for them to pass
Well, by law (atleast here) you are supposed to pull over & let emergency vehicles pass...

Quote from: RyanF40T12 lI am willing to bet you that the majority of the streetlights being installed are not the horrendous feeling hurting glare bombs that a few of you think they all are.  [/quote
But some are indeed glarebombs, and those give the others a bad name.

Quote from: FGS
Would they know the differences between HPS, LPS, MV, MH, LED, and FL.
For the average citizen, I would say: 'no' .. So say you then give them pictures of each, they'd probably just pick their favorite color. Or include power used (simplifying it, so you've already selected with all lumen ratings being the same - they don't see that part) allot of people would probably pick the lowest wattage

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:33 PM » Author: Rommie
Well, by law (atleast here) you are supposed to pull over & let emergency vehicles pass...
If they are coming up from behind you, yes. But if the emergency vehicle is coming towards you, I don't see the need to pull over unless it needs to overtake parked vehicles and so will encroach on your side of the road, which was not the case in this instance.

In short, I was practically blinded by these lights, which if I hadn't pulled over, would most definitely have resulted in a collision. I believe this would have been unlikely if the beacons were still the old rotary mirror type.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 06:51:09 PM » Author: Rommie

I've never seen Green.
Over here, they're used by doctors on emergency call-out. Rare compared to the blue used by ambulances, but I do see them on occasion.

For the average citizen, I would say: 'no' .. So say you then give them pictures of each, they'd probably just pick their favorite color. Or include power used (simplifying it, so you've already selected with all lumen ratings being the same - they don't see that part) allot of people would probably pick the lowest wattage
If they pick their favourite colour, I'm willing to bet the majority wouldn't pick 6500K white.

Here's a test for everyone reading this. Next time you're with a group of people, either at work, in the pub, at a function, or wherever, it doesn't matter. Pick (say) 10 people, and ask them what type of street light they prefer. Show them photos. Don't try and influence them to pick your personal favourite, just show them the pictures and see what they say.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 06:59:40 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
They are legal and they are being installed because they work just fine for the majority of people out there.  Majority rules.  Minority can go pound sand.  There is no way to please everyone.  And I am willing to bet you that the majority of the streetlights being installed are not the horrendous feeling hurting glare bombs that a few of you think they all are.
If you're referring to the emergency lights, I beg to differ, I've met many people around my area with my same exact opinion on the matter, they're too bright, too flashy and distracting, and overall dangerous to anything other than the emergency vehicle itself, especially at night time, and at days that it is raining, it adds even more insult to injury. and they're in fact glare bombs. If you're referring to streetlights, thats not my problem, overall I prefer HPS or another monochrome source, and since my opinion is concrete I see no need to argue on that matter.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:02:11 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 08:40:54 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: MissRiaElaine
If they are coming up from behind you, yes. But if the emergency vehicle is coming towards you, I don't see the need to pull over unless it needs to overtake parked vehicles and so will encroach on your side of the road, which was not the case in this instance.
Here it depends on the type of road...if its a highway (or something really anything with a divider down the center) you don't have to pull over/stop for one coming the opposite direction, but if its not a divided road you do.

In short, I was practically blinded by these lights, which if I hadn't pulled over, would most definitely have resulted in a collision. I believe this would have been unlikely if the beacons were still the old rotary mirror type.
Totally sounds like the thing was an overly bright flashing glarebomb!
Kinda reminds me of something from a week ago.
Going somewhere at night, there was a cop who'd pulled someone over on the other side of the road...the red/blue flashers were your standard bright LEDs, but this one also had a strip of white steady-on on its roof in front. I don't believe I have ever seen a worse glarebomb in my life!  It overpowered everything else, could hardly see anything.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 02:17:23 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
If you're referring to the emergency lights, I beg to differ, I've met many people around my area with my same exact opinion on the matter, they're too bright, too flashy and distracting, and overall dangerous to anything other than the emergency vehicle itself, especially at night time, and at days that it is raining, it adds even more insult to injury. and they're in fact glare bombs. If you're referring to streetlights, thats not my problem, overall I prefer HPS or another monochrome source, and since my opinion is concrete I see no need to argue on that matter.

Well said that man!  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 02:19:05 PM » Author: Rommie

Well said that man!
  8)
What she said  8)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies