Author Topic: Red light seems to cause temporary colour blindness to greens and blues...  (Read 1299 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Red light seems to cause temporary colour blindness to greens and blues... « on: January 04, 2018, 09:27:14 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So I am sitting here reading a book, under a red light (250W GE heatlamp) and after some time of reading the book, it appears I cannot render greens and blues, and its been this way for the past 20 minutes or so, I figured this out when i went to go check this site, and I cannot distinguish the Green and blue logo from greyish, Honestly quite like this... but is this concerning? Also, would this happen with other coloured light?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Red light seems to cause temporary colour blindness to greens and blues... « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:52:10 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
It could be concerning, but I'am not sure though.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Red light seems to cause temporary colour blindness to greens and blues... « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:15 PM » Author: FGS
LPS orange does it too. It's harmless usually.  It's our eyes trying to make the colored light white. I had laser surgery a few years ago. The machine used green laser for the job and I was seeing pink for HOURS! Then it cleared.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Red light seems to cause temporary colour blindness to greens and blues... « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:14:33 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I know if I'm a room lit with green fluorescent, it takes a few minutes for things to go back to normal after leaving.
(come to think of it, I noticed the same type of thing with the yellow of SOX .. Blue fluorescent does it too)

I don't specifically remember one way or the other with Red fluorescent.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Red light seems to cause temporary colour blindness to greens and blues... « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 06:28:55 PM » Author: Ash
During the Red session (and since it is a heat lamp, there is also IR involved), lots of Red light enters the eye

1. For the Red sensing L cones, this is a LOT of light

2. For the brightness perception (how bright the light is), it is fairly dim, therefore the pupil is large and it does not control effectively enough the amount of Red light entering the eye, increasing the effect of "1."

Retinal cells see light by generation and destruction of a neurotransmitter - a chemical acting as messenger to deliver a signal in our body. The cell, when not exposed to light, generates the neurotransmitter. Exposure to light inhibits the generation, and requires the cell to recover in order to be able to recept light again

When stressed (by having to recover under exposure to abnormal quantity of light, whether by brightness, time or both), retinal cells become "tired", and their output signal range fades. For example (numbers just for the show), if a non tired cell reports between 0 for dark to 1000 for bright light, a depleted cell might be able to report only between 0 and 50 for the same range..

As long as we are in the same Red lit room, everything is monochromatic between Black and Red (not really, the spectrum of a heat lamp is quite wide, but it only covers a narrow band of the visible light spectrum, so the effect is still similar). So be it 0..1000 (just entered the room) or 0..50 (been there for a long while, (and since we are analog, the range is continuous and not discrete), this range does represent all the available visual information either way : We dont see any information loss

When we exit from the room, the L cones are depleted and max out at 50, while the M and S weren't even activated by the Red light

- We look at something White (not glaring, say 500..500..500), the cells transmit : 25 Red, 500 Green, 500 Blue

- We look at something Cyan (0..500..500), the cells transmit : 0 Red, 500 Green, 500 Blue

It looks very likely that we will render the 2 different colors almost the same, untill the L cells recover and start reporting closer to reality. In the meanwhile, we try to render the colors by information completion, so render both the White and Cyan as unidentifiable Grey-ish color
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Red light seems to cause temporary colour blindness to greens and blues... « Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 03:49:15 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I do know that red light is used by those people that still want to see things like a map at night, but not destroy their night vision.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies