Author Topic: Union Metal Plans to Close Down  (Read 1132 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Union Metal Plans to Close Down « on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:26 PM » Author: Patrick
Union Metal, a major manufacturer of streetlamp poles in the United States, is on the verge of going out of business.  This is bad news given that they continue to supply many towns across the country with historic lighting.  One example is the Tallmadge lamppost in Evanston, IL.  You can find many more on their website.

I hope they pull through, but it doesn't look promising.  Do any of you have Union Metal poles in your area?

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Union Metal Plans to Close Down « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:43 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
who would manufacture lamp posts if they burn out?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Union Metal Plans to Close Down « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:19:59 PM » Author: Lodge
That's to bad, I do recognize a few of there poles, and they are in use here, but American steel can't compete and the USA needs to look at revamping there dumping rules because China has the WTO siding with them right now on unfair steel protections http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2016-10/20/content_27117993.htm so this is bound to continue until the government acts, and that will be another 300 plus good jobs lost and some pieces of history that will never come back..
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Union Metal Plans to Close Down « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:50:34 PM » Author: streetlight98
Very sad to hear of a major USA-based lighting-related manufacturer closing down. The utility company around here uses HAPCO aluminum poles and mounting arms and the DOT uses either Valmont or HAPCO aluminum poles, so no effect here, but Union Metal has been around for a long time and has a lot of history.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies