Author Topic: Who is on Facebook  (Read 7390 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:40 PM » Author: Rommie

The main threat to your privacy on Facebook is Facebook itself, not people you meet there...
Exactly, which is why I won't go anywhere near it. I looked at the sign-on page once, several years ago, but decided against joining. For years afterwards, I got endless spam emails telling me of "friends" (most of whom I'd never heard of) were on it. I never did find out how they got my email address, I certainly never gave it to them.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 03:07:45 PM » Author: BT25
I won't touch any of the 'social media' platforms with a ten foot barge pole. They are all far to intrusive for my liking. >:(

Totally agree. I have so far found no use for it, and when one hears about how they monetize it and snoop on their users, (Google does this too) I want to keep away from it as far as possible. (Just watched "The Circle"...this is when social media goes way to far.)

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 03:10:19 PM » Author: BT25
The main threat to your privacy on Facebook is Facebook itself, not people you meet there...

Preach it!

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Unfortunately, there's not a lot most of us can do to get away from Google, it's even more pervasive. Although I've found the email system to be the best at filtering out spam, and with a decent ad-blocker on the system it's usable.

If anyone wants a reasonably good search engine that doesn't track you, https://duckduckgo.com is worth a look.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 03:53:45 PM » Author: Ash
So far i am happy with mail.ru mail

It is the biggest internet company in Russia, operating 2 of their most common social networks VK and Odnoklassniki. But so far they appear to be very respectable of privacy : They dont pull anything related to their social networks into the email service, and they dont ask for your phone - a thing all other big companies do, sometimes with dirty tricks (as i posted in the other discussion about Microsoft)

The only disadvantage for most users here is that it's in Russian..

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 03:59:07 PM » Author: Rommie

So far i am happy with mail.ru mail

It is the biggest internet company in Russia, operating 2 of their most common social networks VK and Odnoklassniki. But so far they appear to be very respectable of privacy : They dont pull anything related to their social networks into the email service, and they dont ask for your phone - a thing all other big companies do, sometimes with dirty tricks (as i posted in the other discussion about Microsoft)

The only disadvantage for most users here is that it's in Russian..
That might be just a slight disadvantage to a lot of people  :D

Although a guy I used to know where I lived before I moved here once had a Russian girlfriend. He set about teaching himself Russian so he could talk to her in her own language. Fair play to him, after less than a year he was fluent and went on holidays there with her.

I've always been terrible with languages, I know bits of French and German, but not really enough to be useful. My problem is, I don't have the patience  :(

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 04:24:36 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I don`t trust Facebook either, didn`t tech nerd, NWO illuminate Zuckerberg sell part of it off to the CIA? :o, to coin a phrase I have heard used in the US before, "if your on Facebook, their in your (...) every hour of every day" :D ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:29:12 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:25 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
My FB gets hacked same with my gfs

and this is all the time and i choose passwords like this (not a real passcode i used) 1214131516@afsd

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:45 PM » Author: FGS
To everyone paranoid about FB and other social media. Worried about privacy? Don't post stuff you don't want anyone to know. Post the stuff you'll normally tell your friends and family. Adjust who can see it to friends and family only.

New World Order?!?!? Like I'm gonna buy that? ::)

CIA has bigger fish to spy on than what you ate for breakfast or that new bulb you bought. So I'm not worried about them. I even have Amazon Dot. Yes that Alexa spy. I bug my friends about her spying on you. (They don't believe she does it.)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 07:00:20 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Thats why I don't use it, because they always spy on you 24/7.   :o

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 07:35:25 PM » Author: FGS
Thats why I don't use it, because they always spy on you 24/7.   :o

What? Alexa or FB? Alexa you simply unplug her. Can't spy if she has no electricity to work. ;)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 12:33:49 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Eh Facebook is fine... Alexia is pushing it IMO... Screw that.. Plus any tech that actually talks to me disturbs me in general... I'm not havin' it.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 03:13:57 AM » Author: CEB1993
I usually feel safe on Facebook and I know what to do if there’s anything sketchy, such as “fake” looking people sending me friend requests, or invites to play games. I just ignore those. There is some information that I know better than to share, especially with people who tend to show up from out of nowhere.

The biggest thing I worry about with social media is GPS tracking.  I don’t like feeling like I can be tracked by someone I do not know.  I know that weather apps require your current location anywhere in the world, but I use the setting that only allows that if the app is open. I never “check in” on Facebook.  It freaks me out if my phone in my pocket can be used as a GPS device for some hacker.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 06:08:56 AM » Author: Ash
To everyone paranoid about FB and other social media. Worried about privacy? Don't post stuff you don't want anyone to know. Post the stuff you'll normally tell your friends and family. Adjust who can see it to friends and family only.
That didn't work for Ashley Madison users

CIA has bigger fish to spy on than what you ate for breakfast or that new bulb you bought. So I'm not worried about them. I even have Amazon Dot. Yes that Alexa spy. I bug my friends about her spying on you. (They don't believe she does it.)
There is such thing as cost, complexity, and manual labor required to do mass surveillnce, both at the data collection and cross correlation stages. This is a very powerfull stopper : Some regimes in the last century indeed wanted to establish mass surveillance. What stopped them from succeeding was mostly the fact, that watching meant actual manual labor, and cross correlation meant actual manual paperwork

When the costs are eliminated, i.e. when data collection is automatic and cross referencing becomes automatic too (of GPS, linking your online identity with real world you), this means that the cost of watching you becomes nothing more than nanoseconds of CPU time, which cost peanuts. At this stage, it does not matter what size of fish you are : It takes more manual labor to choose the bigger fishes than to just watch them all

So I'm not worried about them
Most of us do, in fact, break laws or norms (things that might not be defined in law, but are assumed to be norm to such extent that you could be litigated over breaking them) :

- Restoring lanterns and wiring them up without having electrician license (anyone on LG ?)

- Things we do as kids/teens : Underage sex, dangerous games, fist fights, trying out pot and alcohol, trespassing, ....

- Letting our kids run out and about without surveillance from our side (this is an example of norms : In the US you could be litigated over letting your 9 year old go out alone, on the basis of claims that it is dangerous, while in all of Europe and Asia kids much younger go out alone and it is the norm)

There are many more things that could be added to the list. You realise that if each of us had an agent with Black glasses behind our back, who would work according to established rules without being allowed to loosen on anything, 100% of the population would have criminal records by the age of 18 ?

And that is before some sick president is elected in the US and starts doing sick things (and nope, i amo not talking about Trump, i am talking about Nixon). And before considering, that even under Nixon US is much better place to live in than Singapore or Turkey
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who is on Facebook « Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 06:30:23 AM » Author: Rommie

Eh Facebook is fine... Alexia is pushing it IMO... Screw that.. Plus any tech that actually talks to me disturbs me in general... I'm not havin' it.

I ain't 'aving it, where's me 'ammer..?  ;D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies