Author Topic: Running my Caster lamp again  (Read 5666 times)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Running my Caster lamp again « on: July 22, 2008, 04:32:57 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Like you've maybe seen, my Caster lamp stopped to work in February. Can I kick it with a BBQ igniter safely? Will it explode if I do this? (You know, these warnings on the package scare me... It says if I run the lamp when it's burnt out, the arc tube can blow up...)

form109
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:44:48 PM » Author: form109
well it is a mercury vapor lamp so the chances of it exploding are pretty low,but if the ignition voltage is high enough the arc might ignite in the arctube,or between the metal pieces of the metal frame,the warnings may be scary(the same warnings came with my regent lamp)but your lamp should ignite.without going boom.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:49:05 PM by form109 » Logged
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:27:25 PM » Author: lite_lover
Yes Vince you may be able to 'kick' it with the BBQ ignitor,if it lights, leave it running for several hours.I discovered my Caster will operate
in this fixture perfectly with out cycling or a kick start!

The brighter the better.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23:22 PM » Author: Foxtronix
OK  :) running it for a few hours will "repair" the light bulb, right?

form109
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:25:42 PM » Author: form109
you said the bulb only ran 10 hours i dont see how any problems could arise that early,that needed fixing.
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:57:38 AM » Author: lite_lover
Running the lamp for a few hours may hopefully help restore it.Let us know if you get it to light!

The brighter the better.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:11:03 AM » Author: Foxtronix
Form109: I know that's hard to believe  ;D The mercury lamp lasted ABOUT 10 hrs. (I ran it a few times for about 1 hour and a half and one time all the afternoon, 5 hrs. if you want, all this equal about 10 hrs.)

UPDATE: Now I'm adding hrs. to the lamp! I tried this morning (July 23, 2008) to light it and it starts without kick! How is this possible? Really dunno  :-\ At least the lamp works again!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:42:13 AM by TiCoune66 » Logged

form109
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:44 AM » Author: form109
great that it works again> ;D
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:51:25 AM » Author: Foxtronix
I have luck  :) I hope you'll have luck too with your ballast...

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 01:42:09 PM » Author: lite_lover
That's great it's working again,lets hope it gives you many hours of light! ;D

The brighter the better.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:13:07 PM » Author: Foxtronix
After checking it out carefully, I saw that the bottom end of the arctube blacken during the warm up for about 1 min. then unblacken. If I allow the lamp to fully warm up, no blackening will stay  :)

form109
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 06:30:09 PM » Author: form109
my regent does this also,i thik its because when the lamp is shut off before reaching full brightness,the mercury in the lamp becomes visable,when the lamp is run up to full brightness all the mercury vapor is vaporized and not visable.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 02:59:34 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
correct!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:21:14 AM » Author: Foxtronix
OK I wasn't clear enough I think  :P Before I switch on the fixture, no blackening . When I switch on the fixture, the blackening appears for about 1 minute, then, dissapears at half-brightness. After reaching the full brightness, I can shut it off and the blackening won't appear again. This is why I don't think it's mercury because it appears only when the fixture lights on for about 1 min.

form109
Re: Running my Caster lamp again « Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:13:33 AM » Author: form109
there are other causes of blackening such as sputtering but i dont think thats happining here,contaminants in the arctube can also cause temporary blackening.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies