Author Topic: What do you hate/like about LED  (Read 7089 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 11:18:07 AM » Author: Ash
1, Yes and no, your right in that once warmed up they were ok, indeed when I used them at home mine were only switched once when it got dark, and then off when I would go to bed.
But for people that used them as `normal GLS` replacements, multiple switchings were a big problem for cold lamps.

2, all colours of CFL were not available here `in store`, only the 2700K ones!, if you wanted another colour you would have to special order it!

6, I have found halide lamps to be quite poor for outside lighting, (very sensitive to voltage fluctuations during storms), causing cycling!, and the life wasn`t great on them with both a fall off of colour and brightness, although this is slightly improved with ceramic versions.

7, in bulk they do, if you have a run say of, 2000 70watt SON lamps, then replace them with 32watt LED surly your saving 76KW off any electrical load?
1. Where lights are switched all the time, they usually dont stay on for long either, so both CFL and LED provide less significant savings compared to GLS / Halogen. They might take years just to pay back the cost of the lamp. It might even take years till the EOL of a rarely used GLS in a hard to reach place, which is only then, that one would bother relamping it

2. Over here it's 2700/6500 widely available, and occasionally you could find 4000. I heard that overseas non-2700K CFLs are sometimes hard to find, but then what changed with the LEDs ?

6. HID lamps cycle after voltage interruptions, but all the rest of the time they provide much better light. Trading that to prevent the cycling can be justified where used in security lighting application in some high security place, but not for general outdoor lighting

6. LED luminaires degrade much in the same way, just slower (assuming no sudden failures). It is a matter of replacing a MH lamp once every 4 years (even Quartz lamps do live up to that) keeping the luminaire, or replacing the entire LED luminaire once every 10 or so years. (some LED luminaires have replacable parts, but there isn't even guarantee that the matching replacement part will be still made when it EOLs). There might be involved a consideration of beancounters in charge, that in 4 years they will still be on the same spot having the expenses of relamping MH, while in 10 years they will be more likely in some new spot and the bigger expenses of replacing luminaires will be on somebody else's list

7. Such step down in lamp power is not covered by the efficacy difference between SON and LED, even when counting for the small 70W SON that falls short of 100 Lm/W vs best LEDs. It can mean one of few things : 1. Similar step down in lighting levels, 2. LED luminaire used is very highly optimized for output at expense of other functions like glare control, 3. The old lighting installation was not maintained properly (luminaire bowls let go dirty and Yellowed)

In a city in our region there is a mall with some exterior floods, which run Blue 400W Halides. They do light up the area next to the mall well and create an interesting ambience (though the SON street lighting spills there much too). Nice as a spice but i dont think it would be great if it would be used "everywhere". Also, Halide Blue is very different from LED Blue

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 11:58:45 AM » Author: Cole D.
1. The light fixtures are often changed out in process of upgrading to LED and cause the vintage lights to be replaced

2. Many LED light fixtures are cheaply made and made such that the entire fixture has to be replaced when the LED light source fails. There are no sockets or other things that traditional fixtures have, just circuit boards with LED on them

3. Poor colors and optics of many LED especially streetlights

4. Use less power but once many LEDs have to be used in one bulb or fixture savings starts to be negligible, and bulbs at this point are more expensive than CFL or incandescent anyway

5. The replaceable bulbs do or should last longer than incandescent or fluorescent so less maintenance at least

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:34 PM » Author: suzukir122
I've been finding a lot of LED's blinking on and off in new signs around my area. Some at complete random,
and some at a noticeable rhythmic on and off pattern. And then also, there's a home depot close to me that
use to have metal halides for parking lot lighting... now it's a mixture of metal halides and LED's. I originally
thought they replaced all of them but that was clearly not the case, given how much brighter those remaining
metal halides are. The LED's are so much dimmer to the point where it's deplorable. I really want to find time
and take a pic, and even videos of the LED fails. I'm sorry, but I can't agree that LED is better... not until I begin
to see visible proof, which has yet to happen. Far too many premature failures, and often times much dimmer
depressing light from the majority of them.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 11:34:16 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I've been finding a lot of LED's blinking on and off in new signs around my area. Some at complete random,
and some at a noticeable rhythmic on and off pattern. And then also, there's a home depot close to me that
use to have metal halides for parking lot lighting... now it's a mixture of metal halides and LED's. I originally
thought they replaced all of them but that was clearly not the case, given how much brighter those remaining
metal halides are. The LED's are so much dimmer to the point where it's deplorable. I really want to find time
and take a pic, and even videos of the LED fails. I'm sorry, but I can't agree that LED is better... not until I begin
to see visible proof, which has yet to happen. Far too many premature failures, and often times much dimmer

That's exactly the problem we have with them, plus the colour temperature is abysmal.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:19 PM » Author: Ash
The color temperature is okay, the problem is not represented by the color temperature at all (neither it is by CRI)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 05:03:58 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Instead of MH but still relating to your quote this is the same thing happening with HPS, since many people think white is brighter (in some cases it is) but most times it only appears brighter
A 150 watt HPS is 14,000 lumens while the replacements that are LED put out like 50-70% less light then HPS 

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 07:56:05 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
LIKE:
They light up.

HATE:
They kill other things that light up that I like more.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 07:58:02 PM » Author: Rommie

LIKE:
They light up.
HATE: They light up the wrong colour  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 07:59:59 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
HATE: They light up the wrong colour  >:(

Agreed.... But they do make monochrome orange ones....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 08:03:15 PM » Author: Rommie

Agreed.... But they do make monochrome orange ones....
Very possibly, but nobody ever uses those, at least not anywhere around here.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 02:02:21 PM » Author: Medved
Very possibly, but nobody ever uses those, at least not anywhere around here.

Well, these are used virtually only in signal equipment (where that orange is the specified signal color). The reason is, the orange LEDs are not that efficient compare to blue LED based whites (so where the LPW is the utmost priority, followed by a low cost, the 7000K white wins).

The ting is, normal users don't care about the sentiment we do here...

No more selfballasted c***

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:17 PM » Author: 589
Hate:
- LED brainwashing of the public from false marketing, etc.
- glare bomb streetlights that I have to wear sunglasses at night for while driving

Dislike:
- high ct lights that don't have a -blue filter

Like:
- Lights that have a -blue filter
- warm white

Love:
- Amber LED
- the modularity of cheap chinesium LED lights. So easy to make your own from scratch or different parts any color or ct you could ever want. The sky is the limit with a soldering iron and a hot air rework station.

:lps:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 01:41:44 AM » Author: Ash
The ting is, normal users don't care about the sentiment we do here...
Do they care about anything ? They choose LED even when it is objectively poor choice e.g. lack of optics in a luminaire

Why should manufacturers even invest in proper engineering and various part manufacturing like reflectors and refractors, when just slapping a LED PCB in the enclosure and calling it a day is perceived as upgrade by the users, and making some flat White panel excuse for a luminaire is perceived as "smart design", over the "outdated" carefully designed reflectors of troffers ?
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 10:54:03 PM » Author: CEB1993
LED's are growing on me.  I like that they are energy efficient, bright (good lumens ratings in comparison to incandescent) and becoming more compact and aesthetic, like with the Philips Classic Glass LED bulbs that look exactly like ordinary incandescent bulbs.  I like how most LED's have a slight peachy pink hint to the light instead of the dull greenish yellow from CFL's.  I enjoy warm, pinkish light indoors.  Really the only thing I don't like about LED is that most of them are made in China and can be cheaply manufactured and have hit or miss quality.  However, I am pleased to see LED's by Sylvania being made in the USA.  I even found some LED brake lights for my car that are made in Italy. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:41:48 AM » Author: ace100w120v
I like the instant-on factor, as opposed to fluorescent/CFL/HID, along with the relatively decent lumens-per-watt ratings.  That said, my biggest gripe (well, besides replacing vintage lighting) would be that many fixtures/luminarires are of a proprietary and/or disposable nature; one one component fails the whole thing is junk and has to be replaced, versus replacing a bulb, ballast, starter/ignitor, or capacitor when it fails, also of another brand (i.e a GE ballast will power a Sylvania lamp just fine). 

I also dislike some "retrofits"; many look shoddy and are either too glary or the light quality can be unflattering (particularly replacing linear fluorescents). 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies