Author Topic: What do you hate/like about LED  (Read 7356 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
What do you hate/like about LED « on: January 27, 2018, 07:02:49 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Many people and me don't completely hate LED so can you list your hatings/likings. It's like pros and cons

Likes/Pros:
Multi-color in one bulb
Good CRI
Less heat (sometimes)
More bulb choices and options
Low wattage stage lighting

Hates/Cons
Replacing street lighting
Some EOL to fast
Poor circuitry
Harsh light (street lights)
Glarebombs
Unreliable drivers
Poor constriction

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:32:58 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Likes/Pros:
color temperature
household use

Hates/Cons:
Streetlighting (which is replacing perfectly working HID fixtures to LED)
fluorescent fixtures being replaced by LED
Their crappy LED driver fails and making strobing effect, or fails in a controlled matter.
using it outdoors by lighting a big yard.

Thats what I think of.

Please no offences, ok.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:14:40 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:04:57 PM » Author: Ash
Good :

Very flexible form factors. Suitable for many special applications where no other lamp can match

Efficient small source (all the way down to <1W)

White light small source (all the way down to <1W)

Instant on

Bad :

Except filament designs, all lamps have either big emitter area (self contained structure) or require mounting to a surface (modules - half sphere light output), which means very restricted optical design possibilities, which in turn means poor optics like lens panels or flat diffuse panels

Poor light content. The problem is not represented by the CRI figure : CRI is a calculated figure, representing how well colors can be distinguished from each other, but not whether they are altered all in the same way by poor light of what apparently was a "White" lamp

Blue light health risks

Use of LEDs where inappropriate. Referring to LED light as advantageous where inapplicable (compared to other lamps, which do the same job the same or better)

Wrong LED rating or sale practices
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:58:17 PM » Author: Rommie
Like - cheaper electricity costs for domestic users.

Hate - use for street lighting and fittings where the whole thing has to be discarded when it fails.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 08:05:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Like - cheaper electricity costs for domestic users.

Hate - use for street lighting and fittings where the whole thing has to be discarded when it fails.

Yes, that's the way that I look at them as well.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:50:23 PM » Author: Lodge
I like the fact they could be made into excellent light fixtures when well designed, but I dislike the fact that for the most part they are only designed to be the lowest price on ebay...
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 03:50:33 AM » Author: AngryHorse
1,Far better than CFL!
2,More choice of CCT, `off the shelf` for the consumer/end user
3,Lamps are actually brighter than the lumen figure given on the box
4,Manufacturers now stating a more realistic 10,000 hour life than the usual 100,000 hours!
5,Choice of ALL lamps caps, and ALL the shapes, (candle, golf ball, A60), better than it ever was with CFL
6,4000k street lighting lanterns make the streets look more `friendly, fresher and cleaner` at night now
7,Energy saving is better for consumer and tax payer alike
8, Price has come down now for better lamps, (not like the early days of LED where you would pay over the odds for a dull product)!
9, Instant on, (no waiting for a dull U-tube to warm up like the old CFL days)
10, Some lamps have a cool `after glow` when switched off!

HATE
Far too many little `back street` manufacturers/dealers making really poor products and giving the tech a bad name! >:(   

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:16:51 AM » Author: Ash
1. Not better than CFL, once the CFL warmed up (for where this is an issue)

2. Same choice of CCT, unless you count in over-6500K colors of cheap LEDs

3. All lamps of all types, except fake ones, match the Lm on the box. Nothing LED specific there. "GLS equivalent" figures accuracy varies, it haven't been always bad with CFLs and isn't always good with LEDs, but "GLS equivalent" is not a Lm rating

6. It's been a long while, that CMH/CDM lamps could be used to light the streets with 4000K with same or better efficacy, and much better optics and light quality, than LEDs provide today

6. Using the same White light indoors and outdoors (assuming indoors LED too) prevents the distinction of the 2 areas from each other. Higher diversity of light colors is better

6. White light is not universally better for outdoors than SON light

7. LEDs do not save any additional electricity over the best SON-Super, CMH, CDM, SOX systems of the same brightness

8. Prices for other lamp types are very reasonable for what they give

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:32:55 AM » Author: Beta 5
Like:
LED Halogen & incandescent retrofits.
If you want LED, use retrofits in bulkheads, or halogen downlights, so when they fail, its as simple as changing the lamp

Some coloured decorative lighting, but done properly, with decent LED's - no LED tape just stuck up randomly, and falling off, like it always does.

Hate:
Everything else
LED replacing everything, even though its mostly not suitable for the application, or traditional  lighting outperforms it.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:42:30 AM » Author: AngryHorse
1. Not better than CFL, once the CFL warmed up (for where this is an issue)

2. Same choice of CCT, unless you count in over-6500K colors of cheap LEDs

3. All lamps of all types, except fake ones, match the Lm on the box. Nothing LED specific there. "GLS equivalent" figures accuracy varies, it haven't been always bad with CFLs and isn't always good with LEDs, but "GLS equivalent" is not a Lm rating

6. It's been a long while, that CMH/CDM lamps could be used to light the streets with 4000K with same or better efficacy, and much better optics and light quality, than LEDs provide today

6. Using the same White light indoors and outdoors (assuming indoors LED too) prevents the distinction of the 2 areas from each other. Higher diversity of light colors is better

6. White light is not universally better for outdoors than SON light

7. LEDs do not save any additional electricity over the best SON-Super, CMH, CDM, SOX systems of the same brightness

8. Prices for other lamp types are very reasonable for what they give

1, Yes and no, your right in that once warmed up they were ok, indeed when I used them at home mine were only switched once when it got dark, and then off when I would go to bed.
But for people that used them as `normal GLS` replacements, multiple switchings were a big problem for cold lamps.
2, all colours of CFL were not available here `in store`, only the 2700K ones!, if you wanted another colour you would have to special order it!
6, I have found halide lamps to be quite poor for outside lighting, (very sensitive to voltage fluctuations during storms), causing cycling!, and the life wasn`t great on them with both a fall off of colour and brightness, although this is slightly improved with ceramic versions.
7, in bulk they do, if you have a run say of, 2000 70watt SON lamps, then replace them with 32watt LED surly your saving 76KW off any electrical load?

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 09:51:55 AM » Author: Rommie
7, in bulk they do, if you have a run say of, 2000 70watt SON lamps, then replace them with 32watt LED surly your saving 76KW off any electrical load?
Except that it's not just about saving electricity, you still have to light the streets. Up here they've completely LED-ified the main shopping street in Aberdeen (Union Street). They've put three times as many fittings in as they had with the previous HPS installation and there still isn't as much light as the adjoining streets which are still HPS. Go figure.

Oh, and the LED fittings are glare-bombs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:54:24 AM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 10:22:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah there is some glare bombs out and about, DW Winsors Kirium comes to mind ::), have you any `before and after` pics of Union Street Ria?, I`m only speaking from a personal point of view from what I have seen around me, but I have heard some horror stories of LED installs up and down the country!

The change over that Cheshire East have done looks really well, but having said that, I can`t imagine other councils have got it right first time?

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 10:26:01 AM » Author: Rommie
I don't have any "before" pictures, but I'll try and remember to take an "after" shot next time we're up that way after dark.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 10:32:00 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Didn`t Glasgow once try blue street lighting in the early 2000s?, did you ever hear of that, or if they still use them?

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 10:35:51 AM » Author: Rommie
Didn`t Glasgow once try blue street lighting in the early 2000s?, did you ever hear of that, or if they still use them?
That's a new one on me, but Glasgow is three hours away from here, we don't get down that way too often. I've only lived up here for a couple of years, anyway. Doesn't mean to say it didn't happen though, I'll have to do some digging and see what I can find.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:40:28 AM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies