Author Topic: In reply to the meme post crackdown.  (Read 1764 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
In reply to the meme post crackdown. « on: February 02, 2018, 02:39:44 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
First of all, It'd have been nice if you wouldof left the thread open at the very least so members could voice their opinion rather than having to create an entirely new thread, Now that being said here goes the main topic.

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php?topic=6252.0

So, first, I'd like to point out, that this section of the forum is the Off-Topic section of the site, therefore, lighting and electrical related topics are not strictly the only things that can be discussed here.... Based on that logic, most of the threads here should have been locked, deleted etc.

Memes are not entirely a social media thing, nor is posting them on a forum treating the forum as a social media site, especially if it is limited to only one thread.

If it were really "insanely offensive to almost everyone on the site" I'm sure people would have made an issue of it sooner. Considering this post had existed for a very long time before this crackdown on it had occurred I doubt it was that offensive and more likely people took them for what they were, jokes. more likely what happend is one person made an issue of it ruining it for the rest. they're just memes, its nothing to be taken seriously, the whole point of a meme is humor.

I know I'm pulling a dangerous card responding in this way but I could care less someone needed to say it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:08:48 PM by RCM442 » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: In reply to the meme post crackdown. « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:47:47 PM » Author: wattMaster
Also, lighting-gallery fits the definition of a social media site pretty well.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: In reply to the meme post crackdown. « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:05 PM » Author: Lumex120
Also, lighting-gallery fits the definition of a social media site pretty well.
Well sort of, but social media is more of a "public thing" if you know what I mean. LG is more "closed off" and so I don't really see it as social media.

Unofficial LG Discord

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: In reply to the meme post crackdown. « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:53:09 PM » Author: RCM442
Refer to rule number 1, avoid profanity http://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php?topic=14.0
I would have cracked down on this a while ago, but I've been in the hospital for nearly a week. The fact that nobody reported the meme thread is kind of upsetting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:04:09 PM by RCM442 » Logged

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: In reply to the meme post crackdown. « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:11:01 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Ok, so that would only eliminate a some of memes not the entire thread, that statement does not justify the removal of an entire thread. For instance the stuff that I posted below contained no profanity whatsoever, and I know for a fact most if not all of what Camden posted was clean. I don't clearly remember the rest of the thread or who posted so I cant make a refined list, but I know for a fact the entire thread was not insanely offensive.

That was a very late response from you guys in terms of eliminating it if it is really that offensive to nearly everyone on the forum.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:35:41 PM by RCM442 » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: In reply to the meme post crackdown. « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 03:28:57 PM » Author: Max
The fact that nobody reported the meme thread is kind of upsetting.
It's perhaps because the general quality level of LG has dropped to such a low level in the past few years that nobody was surprised by the presence of such a thread here. Seriously, nowadays most contributions here are at the same level, and often lower, as what is found in the lowest social media sites out there...

If you really want to keep LG "a discussion board for lighting and related things, not politics, not memes, just lighting and electrical", as you say with you own words, then just get rid of the off-topic part of this site. This is just a magnet for stupid/low-quality/irrelevant content (pick one). Do you think this is normal that some people here (including me) now have to use AdBlock Plus in order to properly browse LG?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:34:14 PM by Max. » Logged
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: In reply to the meme post crackdown. « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 03:44:07 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
It's perhaps because the general quality level of LG has dropped to such a low level in the past few years that nobody was surprised by the presence of such a thread here. Seriously, nowadays most contributions here are at the same level, and often lower, as what is found in the lowest social media sites out there...

If you really want to keep LG "a discussion board for lighting and related things, not politics, not memes, just lighting and electrical", as you say with you own words, then just get rid of the off-topic part of this site. This is just a magnet for stupid/low-quality/irrelevant content (pick one). Do you think this is normal that some people here (including me) have to use AdBlock Plus in order to properly browse LG?

"Nowadays most contributions here are at the same level, and often lower, as what is found in the lowest social media sites out there...", Please give examples, I don't mean this in a hostile tone I'm being serious, in places on the site other than the off topic forum, which is meant for "stupid/low-quality/irrelevant content" (To a certain degree, and within reason) what stupid/low-quality/irrelevant content is posted? I'm personally aware of possibly a couple people but I usually just skim through those who post such pictures, and they don't post "most" of the content on the site because there is only one, perhaps two of them. as for comparing it to the lowest social media sites out there... I don't think you know the lowest out there... the web is a darker and even more stupid place than anything I've seen here...

Also if the content you deem low quality mostly resides in the Off-Topic area of the forum, simply don't go to it. If you don't like images posted by others, Don't look at them and simply scroll through them like many others around here do, from what i saw of that post about using adblock plus to browse LG, it does nothing but block the images out, It does not take the descriptions out, therefore you seem to be doing nothing but breaking up your view of the site. Not to mention the fact that you'll miss out on anything you may deem relevant that they post.

Refer to rule number 1, avoid profanity http://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php?topic=14.0
I would have cracked down on this a while ago, but I've been in the hospital for nearly a week. The fact that nobody reported the meme thread is kind of upsetting.
I'm sorry about that, Hope you're feeling better.. Hospital trips are never fun....

As for the topic at hand,
The meme thread has existed for far longer than a week.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:21:38 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: In reply to the meme post crackdown. « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 03:49:20 PM » Author: wattMaster
Seriously, nowadays most contributions here are at the same level, and often lower, as what is found in the lowest social media sites out there...
Take a good look at the internet an you'll be eating your words...

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies