Author Topic: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them?  (Read 4557 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « on: February 03, 2018, 08:35:20 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Just wondering, if you guys use your old light bulbs that you got from restores, and thrift shops, or not use them but collect them. Thanks.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:35:39 AM » Author: Ash
Use in the "once in a Blue Moon" applications, where i want them for e.g. test setup or some other special one-off purpose that needs to show the lamp. Use modern stuff in everyday and other applications

This way, the "electrical" lamp life will most likely outlast either the lamp's appearance (corroding cap, rubbing off etch from handling, ..) or the lamp by accidentally smashing it during handling (not that i want it to happen, but it can happen), and is not being "wasted"
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 10:21:51 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I use things unless it is unbelievably rare... in which case I use them less often... but everything gets used one way or another...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:38:57 AM » Author: funkybulb
Well things like westinghouse F40’CW  migjt as well
Enjoy it.  It took me 24 years to eol a pair of tubes
From 1984.  Using them in a garage swutch all the
Time snd beling left on.  My childhood abuse
Many times over to watch start up flicker

Same way with westy life gaurds enjoy them using
Those DX mercs,  those Clear westy i notice
Getting hard to come by. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 03:22:35 PM » Author: 589
I rotate what I use that is harder to come by. Like right now I'm burnin an eye 50w clear MV for the winter because I have a few of them. I'll transition to orange led when the bugs start coming out in spring, and for the summer I'll burn 18w sox then back to orange led in the fall, etc. that way everything gets some time on it and I get to enjoy it but not all at once. I burn HPS all the time though since it is cheap and easy. When hid starts to become scarce I'll be using Amber LEDs much more.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:24:25 PM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:29 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Depends what it is, but I largely use modern LED screw in bulbs, and modern low-mercury fluorescents, though I have cases of older lamps I 'could' use. 
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:11:49 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I'm hanging onto some incandescent bulbs, but when it comes to fluorescent.. I like running them to EoL :) Even the old ones. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:44 PM » Author: Rommie
I always try to run up the lamps that I have occasionally. We have a Lamp Of The Day here three or four times a week, where we'll run up one of the discharge lamps, most often LPS because we love the warm yellow glow  ;D

I have a test box for the incandescent lamps that is connected to a Variac, so I can run up lamps of any voltage, although I tend not to run up the lamps that I only have a single example of too often, I've had them fail on me too often for that :(

If I have more than one of a particular type of lamp, then one will be safely stored away and the other will go on display and run when possible.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:16 PM » Author: Lodge
I use them all, but I do tend to get spares which sit on the shelf until the one in use goes EOL, I've only got three lamps that I don't use, but I've powered them all up more then once, but I've had them for like the last thirty years so it's not that they are rare but they have sentimental value..

Lights were made to be used, so use them and enjoy them..
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 11:49:46 PM » Author: BT25
I use mine very rarely. Some would be impossible to replace if they were broken, so I store them away. (I also don't have a lot of time to 'tinker'...I'm married.  :))

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:05:12 AM » Author: Lodge
I use mine very rarely. Some would be impossible to replace if they were broken, so I store them away. (I also don't have a lot of time to 'tinker'...I'm married.  :))

I'm married to, tinker before you have kids, the time to tinker disappears quicker when they show up and take 20 plus years to leave...
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:10:33 AM » Author: Rommie

I'm married to, tinker before you have kids, the time to tinker disappears quicker when they show up and take 20 plus years to leave...

Hey, we're married as well  ;D

No kids though, (a) we're not that way inclined, and (b) we prefer cats  :D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 01:09:26 PM » Author: BT25

No kids...just pets. My wife likes me to spend time on things she likes, so to keep her happy, I do them...most of the time. :) (She thinks its cool that I'm on this site 'talking' to fellow nutters though. ;D)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:13:54 PM by WestinghouseCeramalux » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:12 PM » Author: Rommie

No kids...just pets. My wife likes me to spend time on things she likes, so to keep her happy, I do them...most of the time. :) (She thinks its cool that I'm on this site 'talking' to fellow nutters though.
;D)
I suppose I'm lucky that Sammi shares my interest in lamps :D

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use the old light bulbs that you have, or you keep them but not use them? « Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 02:53:13 PM » Author: Lodge
No kids...just pets. My wife likes me to spend time on things she likes, so to keep her happy, I do them...most of the time. :) (She thinks its cool that I'm on this site 'talking' to fellow nutters though. ;D)

You need to find corresponding hobbies, my wife really likes to cook, so I learned how to restore cast iron, so now we are allowed to visit all the junk stores and re-store to look for new cast iron things and every once and while those are also stores where you get to find older odd lights and fixtures, and vintage copper pans are an awesome distraction to the all the lights in the cart and when they are cleaned up and re-tinned shining someone forgets about the lights and ballasts I just picked up... 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies