Author Topic: T17, T12, T8, T5 Which one is less harsh on your eyes  (Read 1106 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
T17, T12, T8, T5 Which one is less harsh on your eyes « on: February 08, 2018, 06:43:32 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
:mv: NOTE: THIS IS YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE WITH EACH TUBE AND IS YOUR OPINION   :mv:
OK lets start with T17 and down

T17: From what I've seen they leave a faint blue image in my eyes but not enough for me to notice

T12: Same as T17 but I can't be close to it

T8: Depending on the wattage it could put a sharp blue image in my eyes and hate it if it's placed under my eye level (5'9")

T5: IMO the worst for your eyes, puts a blue image so sharp in my eyes that it stays in there for more than 180 mins

Summary: Well from what I said it's clear that T17/T12 is the least harsh for my eyes

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: T17, T12, T8, T5 Which one is less harsh on your eyes « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:51:47 AM » Author: Ash
If we compare lamps of the same type, the luminance will be inversely related to the tube diameter

It is generally assumed, that luminance more or less equals glare/harshness, but this is not correct. Factors like the contrast between the lamp, its immediate surroundings (in the wing reflector, luminaire ballast cover) and less immediate surroundings (ceiling) play a role too

But do you compare fairly ? (or do you want an answer that is influenced by those factors as well ?)

- Lamps have different Phosphor types so different efficiency (brighter lamp in the same size ...) and different spectrum

- Lamps have different power densities. Disregarding some extra losses at the cathodes, F20T12 and F40T12 are 10W/ft, F8T5 is 8W/ft (and actually much less, since cathode losses are very noticable in such small lamp), and a 8ft VHO lamp is 27W/ft

- Some lamps are underpowered, such as anything T12 in the US

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: T17, T12, T8, T5 Which one is less harsh on your eyes « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:03:07 PM » Author: BT25
I find that T8 is best for vision, because of no noticeable 60Hz flicker. And I like 4100K the best, because it seems the most balanced in color, and is great for general use..

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: T17, T12, T8, T5 Which one is less harsh on your eyes « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:12:56 AM » Author: Ash
The flicker is double the line frequency, 120Hz for 60Hz line or 100Hz for 50Hz line - except at the electrode of the lamp or when a lamp is rectifying. This have never been a problem for me

Triphosphors lamps tend to have longer afterglow, that further smooths out the flicker
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies