Author Topic: Are driverless cars the new thing?  (Read 14415 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 08:59:35 PM » Author: Rommie
Humans aren't aware of every single thing they may come across either though.
You beat me to it, putting machines that are even less aware on the roads is a recipe for disaster  :o

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 09:39:16 PM » Author: 589
Thanks! I don't like having such a gloomy take on things, however it just seems to be the way things are. It seems in many areas of technology in the consumer space new products don't really offer any better function or economical improvement than the products they "replace". In some ways technology is just advancing for its own sake, not for the betterment of humanity. While this has always been the case, this phenomena seems to have become much more widespread and accepted within the last 10-15 years.

It is a thought of mine that people generally want to be the masters of their own destiny (IE self-determination or freedom) and not helpless or under someone(or thing) else's control. I think much of the stigma of a self-driving car comes from what I think is that it is a representation of a massive loss of self-determination(IE freedom). When you step into a car that you drive, it is beholden to you and you ultimately determine where it goes. When you step into a self-driving car, you make a request but ultimately it is something(or someone) else that determines where it goes and you cannot change that. Along with that is the fear that if that is the way that things go, then driving your own car will be outlawed. Trading freedom for control under the guise convenience and "safety" doesn't seem to be a good trade to me in the long term.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:48:42 PM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 03:51:41 AM » Author: Medved
Along with that is the fear that if that is the way that things go, then driving your own car will be outlawed.

I don't think so. There is no reason to go that far.
Even today you are not allowed to drive any car, when you do not have valid driver s license, that will be sufficient.
The thing is, for traveling with a category 5 selfdriving car (so the ultimate one without any other control than the means of telling the car what is your destination) you won't need any license. Once these will be the common place, people will just not have any reason to get any licenses at all, because for a normal life they would not need any. And that means they will not be allowed to drive any non cat-5 car anymore.
And because of that only very few enthusiast will go through the license acquisition procedures, so only those few will be allowed to drive a non autonomous car. No need for any legislation change here, the present is "good" enough.
It is the same as pilot license today: How many people have one (so are allowed to fly the plane)? And how many people travel by air?

No more selfballasted c***

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 03:36:32 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Even today you are not allowed to drive any car, when you do not have valid driver s license, that will be sufficient.
The thing is, for traveling with a category 5 selfdriving car (so the ultimate one without any other control than the means of telling the car what is your destination) you won't need any license. Once these will be the common place, people will just not have any reason to get any licenses at all, because for a normal life they would not need any. And that means they will not be allowed to drive any non cat-5 car anymore.
And because of that only very few enthusiast will go through the license acquisition procedures, so only those few will be allowed to drive a non autonomous car. No need for any legislation change here, the present is "good" enough.
It is the same as pilot license today: How many people have one (so are allowed to fly the plane)? And how many people travel by air?

I've flown a plane without a license. No joke. It was for Civil Air Patrol. I don't like the landing part lmao, its almost like roller coaster it makes your stomach hurt.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 03:38:28 PM » Author: Rommie

I've flown a plane without a license. No joke. It was for Civil Air Patrol. I don't like the landing part lmao, its almost like roller coaster it makes your stomach hurt.
Only if you get it wrong  :D When I 'flew' a 737 simulator once, I kept landing on the taxiway, which pleased the instructor no end and caused much redness of the face  :P

In the real world though, I prefer helicopters. If you get lost, you can slow down and read the road signs  :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:07:03 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 06:06:23 PM » Author: lightinglover8902

You actually flew an airplane?!?  :o

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 10:48:03 PM » Author: 589

Drivers licenses are extremely easy and cheap ($32 for 8 years) to acquire at least here in GA. Almost anyone who is a 16+ year old us citizen and state resident with a pulse can get a drivers license. With that license you can drive any 4 wheel+ vehicle up to 26000 lbs gvwr including a trailer if in tow. You only have to do the tests one time for life and every eight years send them $32 for the rest of your life unless you move. Almost everyone has a drivers license to the point that I have never seen someone present any other form of ID when required to do so. Anywhere that conducts official business whether in the govt or commercially when they ask for ID they want your DL. Many times the only form of ID you can enter into forms is your DL#. So the idea of licensing being an impediment to driving here is a very hard sell.

See for yourself:

https://dds.georgia.gov

Edit: In addition most, if not all state high schools offer drivers education as a course you can take where you get enough seat time to get a drivers license once you pass it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:10:30 PM by 589 » Logged

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 12:19:49 PM » Author: Medved

So it was wit a supervision, most likely someone with an "instructor" license. And that means that guy (or lad ;-) ) was not only capable to provide needed guidance, take over the control when necessary, but as well recognize in time, when you would start to do something silly (and even not knowing that).
But I would guess you wouldnt want to find yourself, few thousands feet above ground, as the only one alive to bring that thing down to survive it, at least somehow...

No more selfballasted c***

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 03:27:21 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Yeah we do have supervisors for Powered flights, However for gliders it's solo, I did not like that too much... not because it was hard, but rather because I'm not a big fan of that gut feeling....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 04:05:53 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah we do have supervisors for Powered flights, However for gliders it's solo, I did not like that too much... not because it was hard, but rather because I'm not a big fan of that gut feeling....
That's the best part  :P :D

No, for me it's got to be helicopters, I like the manoeuvrability. Plus I'm not keen on things without an engine  :D

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 10:34:42 PM » Author: Ash
The ones in charge won't use your reasoning. They will want to ban it "for safety", and provided with general mindsets of politicians and vast majority of the population, they will succeed

Also, virtually all standard cars today (that you drive normally, and need a license for), do have a computer between your input (e.g. the steering wheel, just a rotary encoder, nothing more) to the mechanics. As soon as this thing becomes connected to the "cloud", even non self driving cars will acquire some of the same concerns
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 05:45:52 AM » Author: Rommie
Also, virtually all standard cars today (that you drive normally, and need a license for), do have a computer between your input (e.g. the steering wheel, just a rotary encoder, nothing more) to the mechanics. As soon as this thing becomes connected to the "cloud", even non self driving cars will acquire some of the same concerns
A purely electrical connection between steering wheel and road wheels..? Really..? Not in any car I've seen, name me one.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 06:03:18 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps

bet..... I'm plotting to buy an old 80's truck anyway... Not because of the whole conspiracy with modern cars (I do hate the look of them) But because I like the look of those older (but not too old) Ford trucks, and I like the no extra nonsense when it comes to electronics.

~Owen

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 10:45:39 AM » Author: 589
The ones in charge won't use your reasoning. They will want to ban it "for safety", and provided with general mindsets of politicians and vast majority of the population, they will succeed

Vast majority of the city slicker population maybe, country folks won't have it. Many farmers are already quite perturbed by the farm machinery being put out that the oem's don't want them working on that gets planned obsolescence. Much less something like this.

I think you're referring to cars with self parking, etc with the electric steering. I don't plan on picking up one of those anytime soon. My 20 year old Honda barely has efi, much less something like that. I plan on driving it for another 20 years at least. As long as there are parts available, an to extent even if not, it will make it just fine. 

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 02:41:16 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I like the modern cars but not self-driving ones. What I like about them is that safety features, which is especially for beginners (like me), and some have app connect, and bluetooth for hands free calling, and play music.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies