Author Topic: Are driverless cars the new thing?  (Read 14439 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #60 on: September 06, 2018, 02:46:15 AM » Author: Medved
If the driverless car has no pedals pedáls and so on, we are talking about cat 5. That means for basic driving it should suffice with just what is supposed to be enough for a human driver. Of course there the safety would be legally fully on the car maker.
 Yes, cat5's are still quite distant scifi, what companies are just testing is to be barely cat3 (does most things automatically but needs constant supervision).
The thing is, the present technology needs quite strong support from the infrastructure and because that can not be regarded as a safe thing at all, it needs the human backup.
But clogging a dead end road because it is blocked by an unexpected road work or so is a thing already happening widely today, just when people are so much relying on the nav and not paying enough attention to the detour signs. By the way once the cars would be truly able to follow the signage, this problem will be solved.
What is installed today as "speed limit notifications" is just a confusing joke - it responds just on the explicite speed limit signs, but completely ignores signs that indirectly override them and set different limit (e.g. start/end of a city, are not able to distinguish teporary from permanent signs,...).

No more selfballasted c***

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #61 on: September 07, 2018, 10:32:00 PM » Author: takemorepills
The type of autonomy is referred to as "levels", not "cat". Your numbers are correct though.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #62 on: September 08, 2018, 01:14:55 AM » Author: Medved
The type of autonomy is referred to as "levels", not "cat". Your numbers are correct though.

I've seen it "spelled" in both ways too often, so I really lost track which "spelling" is the correct one...
The point was, how enormous is the mismatch in how these systems are presented by all the "visionaries", marketeers and media vs whatvthey are really capable and even intended to be doing. And how this mismatch hurts their reputation...

No more selfballasted c***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #63 on: September 08, 2018, 08:37:30 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Computer systems would find it hard to adjust to road conditions 'on the fly' when they come up against an unexpected problem. Overcoming that would take far more processing power than is currently available for on board systems, and you cannot rely on being to able get a reliable uplink to a central computer that would have the necessary processing power.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:02:28 AM by Miss Cuddly » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #64 on: January 09, 2020, 06:01:56 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Maybe this was mentioned previously, but I want to mention "infrastructure". I work in a DOT, and the current mentality of many DOT's I know of are in a "deferred maintenance" and "how cheaply can it be done?" mentality.

Driverless cars require a few things from the DOT:
-clear lane markings
-consistency along path, including lane straightness, curb heights and standardized and consistent spacing to fix objects/barriers.
-good (at least) road surfaces with consistent traction profiles and no potholes
-clear and advanced communication of planned or emergency roadwork
-clear and advanced communication of path alterations
-amongst other challenges

See, DOT's in USA currently are unwilling to provide these requirements because the people in charge are getting very lax in doing their jobs.

Driverless cars use cameras to keep in lane, driverless cars rely on inboard data to predict a path that can't be altered unless the car is updated, GPS can only get a car going in "generally" the right area but the car will rely on sensors to fine-tune it's position.
Road surfaces with varying coefficient of friction (including rain and ice) will be a huge obstacle for autonomous vehicles.
Bad weather another obstacle.

Parking...hmmmm, I had a loaner car that can park itself. Cool tech, and been out for a while now. So, tech may have a good solution here, EXCEPT, how does a driverless car know WHERE to park, and when (TOD restrictions)? Autonomous cars want to be without steering wheel or pedals, so how can a passenger/operator recover a car that enters a non-specified error state that it can't get itself out of?

Insurance. Here I truly believe defects in sensors, buggy software, or missing abilities in the vehicle (ability to predict someone running out from between cars or when a semi pulls sideways in front of car, a Tesla famously killed its passenger in this scenario) will mean some amount of liability will undoubtedly fall back on the vehicle manufacturer, especially in bigger cases. If it is a Ford autonomous vehicle, and the vehicle makes a mistake, doesn't that mean Ford is responsible (especially in a fully autonomous vehicle)??

In other words it's not going to happen outside of Hollywood really, getting all Road Departments worldwide to come to an agreed standard is a pipe dream.  ??? :-\

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #65 on: January 09, 2020, 06:22:31 PM » Author: Rommie
A fully autonomous vehicle with no means of overriding the system in case of failure..? For rail-based systems yes, they exist in many places, such as airport shuttles and the well known Docklands Light Railway in London, but for general use on public roads..? Never going to happen.

At least if it does, I hope it's not until well after I've departed this mortal coil, I want to go peacefully, not under the wheels of someone who can't steer to avoid me..!  :o

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #66 on: January 10, 2020, 03:37:33 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
More silly play toys like the DeLorean and the Tesla bomb.

LOL

Of course Tesla started this whole self driving thing. I think.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are driverless cars the new thing? « Reply #67 on: January 11, 2020, 03:53:41 AM » Author: Ash
Meanwhile in decent elevator designs even a thing as simple as door safety is not trusted to electronics. The circuit to the power contactors (that control the motor and release the brake) goes physically through all door switches on all floors and on the car, so that it can't move with an open door, no matter what stupid thing the electronic controller decides to do if it malfunctions
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies